Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
BigBearWV

Refrigerator Question

Why would our refrigerator cool better when we are not using electric to make hot water? At our permanent site we have a 30 A service so we heat water with gas. But when we are on the road and a 50 A service is available we switch the hot water to electric. The refrigerator is a Dometic RM 1350.
BigBearWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
Javi

I would think it very difficult to measure the performance differential for the few minutes that the electric heater is actually working. So are you really saying that you can tell the difference in refrigerator temp in a period of 10 minutes or is it incidental to the 50 amp plug and the WH is coincidental.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

I can't think of any reason why your fridge doesn't seem to get "as cool" when it is operating on AC - and on a 50A service - as opposed to gas. (Assuming that your RV is wired for 50A).

Our fridge is used on both - propane or electricity - and we haven't noticed any difference in the way the fridge cools. To us, it is the same but there may be a very minor temperature difference but not obvious to us.

Also, there doesn't seem to be any difference in fridge temp when the HW heater is being used on either supply - gas or electric.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
Yosemitebob

Keep in mind different altitudes will make it cool either slower or faster as well as ambient outside temperature. But it should always get to the "set" temp either way.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
WaltBennett

Different altitudes is one factor, but just like the typical RV water heater will heat water faster on propane, I've noticed the refer will get cold faster on it at startup. Once it's gotten cold though, I've never noticed any difference in performance.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #6
BigBearWV

Yes our RV is wired for a 50 A service. When plugged in to a 30 A service I can set the frige on 3 and it keep the temp at 36* but when plugged into 50 A service I have to set the frige on 5 to achieve the same 36* temp. At times it struggles to stay below 40*. We always run the frige on electric. We stay with in 500 feet in elevation one way or the other as of now (2,500ish). We will be however spending a month or so at sea level this winter.
BigBearWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
rnkburg

We found on ours that the door would be shut but not shut all the way. We had to make sure. Also a rv fridge may have too much stuff in it and it cools harder. Your permanent side may have the fridge side shaded and it works better. Or when you switch to 50 amp you are not getting the right current. I am not sure without checking but just some ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote