Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2014, 09:13 AM   #1
{tpc}

Shower and tub question...

This question also came up on our first trip. So in the shower area (I should have took pics) the walls of the shower are not actually sealed to the tub. So we took showers but when doing so we could notice that water kinda went "under" that gap where the wall meets the tub.

Now I have heard that thats how some showers are constructed, even in homes, but I can't help but wonder where this water goes?

We used some towels and dried it out as best we could, and I doubt two showers are going to cause all that much of an issue, but should we caulk that seam? Or is the seam needed to allow condensation that could build up on the outside of the walls to escape? Or because the stress of travel/use just breaks the seam anyways?
Old 04-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
BirchyBoy

If you do some searching here you'll find a few threads that say they come without any caulking due to movement and flex. I understand this, but it also causes concern for me regarding mold. I didn't caulk between a new shower and tub when I installed a new one in my house and had mold within a few weeks. It was a real PITA to fix that issue.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

The shower floor is curved up along the walls for a couple of inches and the side walls are positioned so that they overlap. There isn't any caulking where the two meet and it does give cause for concern. I inquired about this and was told that there is enough overlap to prevent water from finding its way up, over and down into the space. Any water would run right down the side and onto the shower floor. It does look a bit "scary" at first glance and I have thought about filling up that space with caulking but just haven't gotten around to it.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

There should be a lip on the tub or shower pan that extends up under the surround material. That lip should be high enough to keep water from getting behind and allow any flexibility necessary. Most shower leaks to the floor are from doors or enclosures. Leaks to storage areas are usually from drain or supply fittings. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote