Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
Koladog

No power when not plugged in

Got a strange one here (or maybe something I'm forgetting to do).

I have a 2013 mountaineer (295). When I'm plugged into shore power everything works fine. When I'm not plugged in nothing works except for the slides. I have solar panels and 1500W inverter as additions. All the fuses look ok. The battery disconnect is in the proper position. The batteries are fully charged.

Any suggestions or is it time to bring it into the shop? Thanks.
Koladog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koladog View Post
Got a strange one here (or maybe something I'm forgetting to do).

I have a 2013 mountaineer (295). When I'm plugged into shore power everything works fine. When I'm not plugged in nothing works except for the slides. I have solar panels and 1500W inverter as additions. All the fuses look ok. The battery disconnect is in the proper position. The batteries are fully charged.

Any suggestions or is it time to bring it into the shop? Thanks.
When not plugged in, your rig runs solely off your batteries. I have heard in the newer rigs the slides come directly off the battery which is working according to you. Depending how you wired in the inverter it should also work if wired directly to the battery. The rest of your coach is powered (12VDC) from the power distribution panel which is connected to the battery(s) through the battery disconnect switch and possibly inline fuses, You said you have the switch in the correct position, To me this key switch nomenclature is confusing, key horizontal (Battery disconnect label) battery connected, then vertical battery disconnected. In this position key can be removed. Or you could have an inline fuse blown if you have one going to the distribution panel.

You said the batteries were fully charged, if either the battery disconnect key switch was in wrong position or an inline fuse was blown your batteries would not be connected to the power distribution panel and would not be getting charged from your converter when plugged in.

My 2 cents others may chime in. Think everyone may have eaten too much
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
Koladog

Thanks for the suggestion Paraptor. Where might I find the inline fuse?
Old 04-21-2014, 03:38 AM   #4
robo

Well my personal experience kicks in here yes i did. Is the battery hooked up correctly otherthan thatis sounds like a fuse look at guse panel it should have red leds when fuse is blown
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
Koladog

Hey robo. Unfortunately (or fortunately???) all the fuses in the fuse panel are ok. No red lights on. I did find a 15 amp fuse on a red wire somewhere in the battery compartment. Is that the inline fuse? I'take a closer look at that one, maybe replace it and see f things work again.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Hey robo. Unfortunately (or fortunately???) all the fuses in the fuse panel are ok. No red lights on. I did find a 15 amp fuse on a red wire somewhere in the battery compartment. Is that the inline fuse? I'take a closer look at that one, maybe replace it and see f things work again.
Yes inline fuses I would look in the battery compartment that 15 Amp could be for your slides or landing jacks. I would expect a larger fuse for the main line back to the power distribution panel. Could be hidden in a cluster of wires. Have you checked position of battery disconnect switch? Is your inverter working? From what I think you are saying nothing is working except slides when rig disconnected from shore power. To me means no 12VDC power getting from battery to power distribution panel in coach. Only thing I can think of between these two woulkd be the disconnect fuse and an inline fuse. Not sure where you are getting your 12VDC for the inverter.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-21-2014, 07:26 AM   #7
Koladog

What size and what kind of fuse should I look for? I only see that 15 amp fuse in the battery compartment. Double checked the battery disconnect and it is in the correct position. Although there could be something wrong behind it. All the lights on the inverter indicate it is working ok.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #8
MarkS

I believe there are two 12v fuses in the converter. They are there to keep from blowing the converter if you connect the battery backwards. Check your manual.

Just something else to check. Good luck.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:51 AM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
What size and what kind of fuse should I look for? I only see that 15 amp fuse in the battery compartment. Double checked the battery disconnect and it is in the correct position. Although there could be something wrong behind it. All the lights on the inverter indicate it is working ok.
Based on what you said that inverter is right off the battery like slides? My guess would be like a 30 AMP fuse or breaker Tried to past a picture of a 12V circuit breaker not sure if works

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608...d=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Looks like rectangular container two lugs on top for wires If this picture does not come through GOOGLE 12VDC breakers at look at images also can do same for inline fuses to see what they look like.

Like I said earlier if either inline fuses/breakers were blown or disconnect switch in wrong position while you where connected to shore power your converter would not be able to charge your batteries. But you said batteries were fully charged

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
Koladog

Tested all auto-reset fuses, in-line fuses, and verified fuses in power distribution panel. All ok.
Booked appointment with dealer for next week. Will let you know what the underlying problem is.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #11
Koladog

As it turns out, it was a faulty battery disconnect switch. For some reason it had come loose behind the wall and did not make proper contact when switched on. The switch was replaced, screws tightened, and all put back together. Everything good now.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #12
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
As it turns out, it was a faulty battery disconnect switch. For some reason it had come loose behind the wall and did not make proper contact when switched on. The switch was replaced, screws tightened, and all put back together. Everything good now.
GREAT

Thanks for checking back in with your findings

Camping Time

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)