Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
cgrace1998

Question Hidden Gooseneck to new 5th wheel problems

We have just purchased a Sprinter 269FWRLS Copper Canyon. Our tow vehicle is a 2012 Chevy 3500HD 4x4 Ext. Cab 8 foot bed. We have a B&W Hidden Turnoverball. The bed of the pickup also has a fuel tank and large tool box at the front and side tool boxes. Our problem is finding a proper (not losing our warranty) or structurally damaging the frame or fiberglass pinbox or adapters/extensions that will allow clearance of all these boxes. The side boxes are flush to the top of the bed. We need to be able to clear the toolbox and fuel tank in front, so something that extends us back from the hitch. Also, something that adapts the ball higher for clearance of the side tool boxes. Please help we have been trying to get our new 5th wheel picked up for 2 weeks. I guess we should have just stuck to travel trailers, but we fell in love with this 5th Wheel and now can not even find anyone who can figure out how we are going to tow. I have added pictures to two different albums. Please see pictures they explain "illustrate" problem better than my post.
Update, we have decided to go with the B&W Companion 3500 to get clearance of the fuel tank and tool box in front of bed. After HOURS of research and lots of wonderful answers from this forum, we have removed the side boxes and are looking at some under bed/body boxes to replace side boxes. Thank you to you all! Hopefully, God willing after 4 weeks we will be able to pick our new 5vr.
This may help, the front tool box height is 28" sits on bed rails. From the center of the ball to the front fuel tank is ONLY 12 1/4". From the center of the ball to the tailgate is 48". Maybe this will HELP.
Has any one used the Colibert Free Rider BW or Rail Rider???????

Well, we have the 5vr picked up, but not after a lot of disappointment. When we purchased the dealership assured us that we would be able to pick up the 5vr with everything (we explained repeatedly) in the bed of the truck. On 3/12/14 my husband & his employees took out the fuel tank and front tool box. Side boxes had been removed days ago. We have the B&W Companion 3500 which is a great hitch!! Looks like we can either put the front box or fuel tank back in, get under body boxes, and/or fuel tank and narrower front tool box. Right now it does not matter, have to renew Crane certification 3/17 - 3/20. Will not have time to deal with 5vr issues. Have a job site to run and a school to go to at the same time that are about 100 miles from each other. Just wanted to thank those that tried to help. Also, B&W Hitches tech service when you call them are the most professional, knowledgeable and courteous, also in America made by Americans!!!! No metric needed to install or to remove. Now on to the little issues you have when you buy a new 5vr.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140301_121329_resized.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	5251   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140301_121215_resized.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	5252   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140301_121249_resized.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	5253   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140301_121013_resized.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	5254  
cgrace1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:37 AM   #2
WaltBennett

With a B & W, I think you can only go with their Companion 5th wheel hitch. If that won't allow enough clearance, you may have to loose the tool box. Anything just up to the bed rails will be OK, and if the side boxes don't take up too much bed space, they should be OK as well. Each 5th wheel hitch has slightly different dimensions as to how much bed space they take up.

Our Ford came with an unlabeled gooseneck hitch so I didn't want to even try getting a Companion. The bed had been drilled for a standard rail 5er hitch, so I put a Curt 20k on it. Had to remove the gooseneck, but didn't have to drill or cut anything. Even with the old one out, I still couldn't find any manufacturer's markings.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:41 AM   #3
rnkburg

I have a curt x5 adapter that fits in the b&w gooseneck , it creates rails for a standard fifth wheel hitch. I then have the b&w patriot on that. The patriot like the companion is very adjustable with the heights and toward and backward motions. The x5 give a little more height to the mix as well if necessary.

I had the patriot in another truck with rails and when I got the new truck didn't want to buy another hitch, trailer place suggested the curt adapter and so far its doing a great job.

I also have a 110 gallon transfer tank in the bed with a pump on top for fueling the tractor, I have no clearance issues
Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #4
cgrace1998

Thanks to all that have tried to help. I just can not believe this not a more common problem with so many oil rig workers, construction workers, farmers, ranchers. I really need so more replies ASAP. I think after doing about 50 hours of research going to have to go with the B&W Companion 3500 and a new/different pinbox to avoid warranty and/or structural/frame damage. Open to any suggestions...
Old 03-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
rnkburg

How about a picture of the bed of your truck, that may help out in suggestions

Old 03-08-2014, 04:36 AM   #6
bsmith0404

Check out e-trailer.com they have a hitch for just about every application you can think of at a good price. Also, your new 5er will determine what you can keep in the bed and how much clearance you can get not the cargo or hitch, you need to keep it level. If you have to raise the front higher than level to clear your cargo, you will need to raise your rear suspension. Some are adjustable to allow for small adjustments, not familiar with the suspension on yours.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
cgrace1998

New to this site how do I add or send pics because I have great pics with tape measure showing distances etc.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
cgrace1998

Thank you have added something to the mix that had not thought about or been mentioned previously.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
jsmith948

Does your trailer have an extended pin box? For example, our Cougar's pin box extends forward something like 13" (I think). If you stand back and eyeball it, the kingpin is almost even with the front cap. I don't see how your fuel tank/tool box could cause a problem. Perhaps it COULD if you intend to completely jack-knife your trailer to 90 degrees. If you think about it, with a bumper pull trailer do you ever exceed 45 degrees without hitting the tongue?
I guess I'm not understanding the problem. Please post some pics so we can see what your concern is?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrace1998 View Post
New to this site how do I add or send pics because I have great pics with tape measure showing distances etc.
The easiest way to add pics is to attach them in your response. Look at the symbols above the response box, to the right of the smiley face is a paperclip, click on that and then browse to your pics and add them. They won't show in the response until you submit.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 03-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
cgrace1998

Added pictures, some above with original thread and 9 are in Album section. Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #12
cgrace1998

I think we have come up with a solution for the fuel tank and front toolbox, a B&W Companion 3500. It is the side toolboxes causing major issues. We are looking at changing out the pinbox (kingbox). The service tech at the dealer ship was not sure about our existing pinbox, from what I can tell these Sprinter Copper Canyon, especially the 269FWRLS are rare or really new. I thank everyone that has had any suggestions. We really would like to get our Dutchman TT gone and into the new 5th wheel. 3 weeks just seems "crazy"!!
Old 03-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #13
rnkburg

Ok from what I see the issue is the width inside the bed caused by the fender boxes. One option is to look at a fifth wheel tool box for the back of the bed, this will be cut low in the center for the hitch to cone thru. You would have to remove those side boxes to get the width for the regular Reese type rails. Also note you are prob gonna have to cut that Bedliner to get it to work right.

By going this route you can get the companion hitch, along with keeping your storage, its just gonna be relocated. That is the first and quickest option , there is also small tool boxes that will sit on the L of the tank. Your fuel tank shouldnt be an issue , mine is not although I am cautious on turns

Old 03-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #14
bsmith0404

Wow, that's tight. After seeing the pics I personally don't see how you could have any part of the pin box below bed level without it hitting in turns on the side boxes. Initial reaction was the fuel tank may hit, but after looking at it more I think you would need the entire pin box above bed level and that will put your nose about 5-6" high in my estimation. I don't have any recommendations for you, hopefully someone else will.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 03-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #15
cgrace1998

Thank you all

I thank you all for attempting to help, I thought once I figured out how to post the pictures the problem would become clearer. I just can not believe with all workampers that no one has had this issue before? This is not the only forum I have looked for help. I have been on every website that has anything to do with towing, hitches and trailers talking with tech support. I still thank you all and will await any more suggestions. Can not pick it up until dealer is satisfied we have a way to tow, and his hopes are that it does not require removal of anything from the bed because t really is not an option. Thank you again.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #16
Javi

Low profile front box will fix that issue, I have one in my truck. The rail boxes will have to come out or be swapped for narrower boxes. Or a box mounted between the tailgate and hitch. Lots of great options out there, just do a google search for 5th wheel tool boxes and transfer fuel tank/tool boxes. Photo isn't my truck but is a good representation of what you can find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5th_wheel_tool_box-5.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	5268   Click image for larger version

Name:	TB203-57.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	5269  
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #17
rnkburg

That second picture is the one I was talking about

Old 03-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #18
rconkin

I really don't see anyway a standard pin box will work with the side tool boxes when turning. Maybe a Reese Sidewinder pin box which is designed for a short bed pickup. Have you considered a new bed with built in tool boxes? Something like thishttp://www.turnoverball.com/products...lite-truck-bed It would be an expensive option but may be the only thing that will work other than the toolbox designed for fifth wheels that mounts at the back of the bed.

16 KZ Durango 2500 D349BHQ
rconkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #19
hankpage
Site Team

Looking at your photos I think the front box will be fine but the side boxes will not clear the angle on the pin box. As mentioned they have to go. Also as mentioned a rear fifthwheel tool box should allow you to keep most of your storage. With that box and using the Companion hitch you should be good to go.

hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #20
cgrace1998

I have added more information to the original post, so if you are trying to help please look back at original post. Side boxes are gone, looked at the under bed/body boxes we can make them work somehow. We still have major issues, with front tool box and front fuel tank. Thanks to all who have made suggestions!!!!

Tags
b&w hidden hitch, gooseneck, keystone forum, towing and tow vehicles