Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
Dodgeman

Surge Protector

Does anyone use those surge protectors I see at Camping World? They seem to be on the expensive side, and when I go camping I don't see anyone using them. Has anyone had any problem when the didn't use one? Dodgeman Grand Rapids Mi
Dodgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

There are many threads on the site regarding various topics about Surge Protection. I suggest using the search function on the top bar and enter "Surge Protection". You will find many topics. I will be installing a EMs in my unit whenever this white crap stops coming down.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
matandjen

I would never hook up to a site's power without one. While expensive, it is cheaper then dealing with the potential damage that could occur without one.
matandjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
jtyphoid

Some of us have our surge protection installed inside our RV, so just because you don't see it doesn't mean that we aren't using one.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyphoid View Post
Some of us have our surge protection installed inside our RV, so just because you don't see it doesn't mean that we aren't using one.
I think most people are using the hardwired version. The Surge Protectors that plug into the pedestal only offer protection against voltage surges and minimal at that. The EMS versions also protect against low voltage, open neutrals, open grounds and reversed polarity.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
mikey98e

Never used a surge protector with our old mallard. Now that we got this newfangled Bullet with the fancy electronics, we bought a fancy surge/low voltage/polarity protector and use it.
-mike
mikey98e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
Bigsky3625

I would go with an EMS. We use the Progressive Industries model.

Ours is not hardwired. It saved us a potential problem last October pheasant hunting. Plugged in to the power pedistal and it had am open ground. Could have been bad.

We always plug it in before we level in case we have to move.

Highly recommend so sort of protection.
One Wife

Bigsky3625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #8
cabinfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I think most people are using the hardwired version. The Surge Protectors that plug into the pedestal only offer protection against voltage surges and minimal at that. The EMS versions also protect against low voltage, open neutrals, open grounds and reversed polarity.
I have the Surge Guard portable and it protects for low and high voltage, surges, incorrectly wired pedestals, reverse polarity, and current in the ground wire. The unit shuts the power off and will automatically reset, with a 128 second delay to protect ac compressors. Indicators for reason of power stoppage. Read out gives AMP dram and voltage available. Same surge protection as hard wired 30Amp model, 2450 Joules.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:02 AM   #9
westom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgeman View Post
Does anyone use those surge protectors I see at Camping World?
As others demonstrate, the term surge protector describe different boxes for all types of anomalies. Some address many. Others only address a few or one. Nobody can say what any surge protector does without reading manufacturer specification numbers.

Generally, a box that addresses reverse polarity, high or low voltage, and safety ground faults can be anywhere in the connection. This works by detecting a fault, and eventually (forever later in electrical perspective) disconnects power.

A different device attached to a pedestal may also do spike (surge) protection. Since spikes are never averted by disconnecting. Spikes are only averted by making a fast connection (in nanoseconds) from each AC wire to earth ground. To be effective, that connection to earth must be short (within feet). So spike protectors can only work properly when attached at a pedestal.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #10
Andymon

I got a used one off this forum for about $160 or so and use it all the time.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #11
Jim & DJ

By the way; Welcome to the forum....
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #12
Dodgeman

Thanks for the info. So how do you install a hardwire one? It looks like you have to take a lot of stuff apart to get to the back of the box.

Dodgeman GR Mi
Old 02-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #13
jtyphoid

Installation of a hardwired EMS will depend entirely on the RV. Basically, you need to get to the shore power line somewhere between where it enters your RV and the power distribution box that has room for the EMS. The rest is easy ;-) I believe that you'll find some examples by searching the forum for EMS hardwired installation.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:56 PM   #14
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyphoid View Post
Installation of a hardwired EMS will depend entirely on the RV. Basically, you need to get to the shore power line somewhere between where it enters your RV and the power distribution box that has room for the EMS. The rest is easy ;-) I believe that you'll find some examples by searching the forum for EMS hardwired installation.
A word of caution: While the installation of a hard-wired EMS may be "easy" for some, it might be prudent for someone who has very little or no knowledge of electricity or electrical circuits to have a "professional" carry out the install. If it isn't done right, a person can do a lot of damage to the RV's wiring and to themselves.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #15
jtyphoid

Good point. DIY can save a lot of money and time, but only if it is done safely and correctly.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:59 PM   #16
W.E.BGood

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_pt30c.htm is the one I got, didn't want to mess with installation. It's saved my RV electrical several times from both high and low voltage.
W.E.BGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #17
Dodgeman

Thanks for all the replys. and its good to be on this forum.

Dodgeman
5.7 Hemi.
GR Mi.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:16 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

This is a little late but just wanted to throw in my recent experience. Just bought a new 319RLS and took it out for our initial break in trip. Told the guy we had 50amp and sent us to a site. Plugged in and electric fireplace came on but no clock and the fridge stayed on gas. There was another meter behind it with 50 amp service so plugged into it. Fridge went to AC, clocks worked but fireplace did not. Knew there was something wrong so did not attempt to turn anything else on. Put a 30 amp adapter on and used one of the 30 amp plugs. Ding! Everything worked fine. I guess each of the 50amps had one of the hot leads inoperable.

Just threw this in to illustrate what I believe is a need for one of the protectors...which I am going to buy as soon as I can get to Camping World. I never thought of there actually being a power issue at a campground. Then again, after looking at this RV park, it appears all electrical on the grounds are privately maintained. That gives me pause right away. It is a miracle I didn't destroy some component on the brand new unit.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #19
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This is a little late but just wanted to throw in my recent experience. Just bought a new 319RLS and took it out for our initial break in trip. Told the guy we had 50amp and sent us to a site. Plugged in and electric fireplace came on but no clock and the fridge stayed on gas. There was another meter behind it with 50 amp service so plugged into it. Fridge went to AC, clocks worked but fireplace did not. Knew there was something wrong so did not attempt to turn anything else on. Put a 30 amp adapter on and used one of the 30 amp plugs. Ding! Everything worked fine. I guess each of the 50amps had one of the hot leads inoperable.

Just threw this in to illustrate what I believe is a need for one of the protectors...which I am going to buy as soon as I can get to Camping World. I never thought of there actually being a power issue at a campground. Then again, after looking at this RV park, it appears all electrical on the grounds are privately maintained. That gives me pause right away. It is a miracle I didn't destroy some component on the brand new unit.
If I understand you correctly, sounds like you ran into posts that had a 50AMP female plug but wired as a 30 AMP service and each pole was on alternating 120VAC services. Your 50 Amp service to your trailer comes in as dual 120VAC Services to your power distribution panel. In the power panel there are breakers that sit on one or the other 120VAC service. These breakers then feed different circuits and devices in your trailer. Ideally you want to split the loads in the trailer evenly across these two 120VAC services coming in.

Instead of the poles 50 AMP receptacle being feed by two 120VAC services only one side was wired let’s say the "A" side therefore in the trailer all circuits connected to the "A" side had power and nothing on the "b" side In your case the fire place had power others did not.

Then you went to the other pole and plugged in, that pole just happened to feed again only one 120VAC side which we will call "B" and nothing on "A". So now your trailer sees power only on the "B" side and nothing on "A" So now fireplace does not work but other stuff connected to this side works.

Now when your used your 30AMP adapter that component takes the single 120VAC service available in 30AMP services and applies that 120VAC service to the two separate services to your trailer, therefore powering both the "A" and "B" side coming into your trailer and as you indicated now devices on both the "A" and "B" side in your trailer works.

With one of the surge or EMS boxes plugged in, it should have indicated that the 50AMP service had only a one single 120VAC service. As stated if plugged into the other pole would show same thing but opposite side missing
I think I am going to go with a hardwired EMS system, have not had time to get it in yet, but I have been lucky and have not encountered the problems you have. I would rather be safe and install one than be lucky.
Based on my understanding this is the situation you were in and next time will identify it easier. Hopefully this is more helpful than confusing.
Happy Camping
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #20
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Based on my understanding this is the situation you were in and next time will identify it easier. Hopefully this is more helpful than confusing.
Happy Camping
Sorry to disappoint you but I am just as confused, if not more so, than before. Don't take offense since I am easily confused.

Please, no need to re-explain since I don't have 50A. If you do, I'll be in really bad shape.