Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2021, 05:46 PM   #41
Sarge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Man I am so tempted to de-decal my new Bullet Crossfire. I did a quick photoshop to see what it would look like:

Kind of looks a bit bland...like a semi-trailer..only without the company name.. Sorry just being honest...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:28 PM   #42
wborisenok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
Kind of looks a bit bland...like a semi-trailer..only without the company name.. Sorry just being honest...
Hey, you know what they say..opinions are like _______, everyone's got one! All good
wborisenok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #43
GMH

I’d advise anyone who’s decals are peeling to do something about it sooner than later. The glue areas that were exposed for years on mine have collected dust and dried solid, I’m not sure how well that is going to come off? I’m thinking white scotch brite pads and lots of grease and wax remover or gun wash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E15F313E-FD90-485B-A1D6-9E3F8196CB1E.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	33545   Click image for larger version

Name:	E7C47FEE-391E-43E8-A4E9-54DE6A6F54DE.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	33546  
Old 05-13-2021, 02:20 PM   #44
jasin1

Everyone has different tastes but I would think it would be really hard to sell a trailer that has been stripped and looks like an office trailer IMO
I’ve had many company vehicles and I can tell you a good graphics company can put new stickers on it and it can hide a lot of it and look pretty good.
The lady that does my trucks and boats can reproduce almost anything and she would just make slightly larger stripes that would cover the old...make it look like a new trailer for probably around a grand...or you could spend weeks of stripping compounding and waxing and still be able to see a difference where the stickers were
If you were selling it you would probably get your money back because first impressions are important
Old 05-13-2021, 05:55 PM   #45
Hblick48

I've used this to remove decals from two different RV's:

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-.../dp/B00EW7MUQ4

Takes off decals and glue. It would have no problem with removing GMH's decals.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:05 PM   #46
GMH

I have tried both gun wash and grease and wax remover to get the dried glue off. They instantly turn the glue that was still adhered to mush, and do somewhat soften the dried, blackened areas. I got some 3M 08987 adhesive remover, and it does a much better job. It softens the fresher glue without making it slimy, and works much better on the dried stuff if left to soak for a bit. The problem is trying to let it “soak” on a vertical surface! It’s sunny and 30 degrees C here right now, so I’ll have to wait for a cooler day to get back at it.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:08 PM   #47
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH View Post
I have tried both gun wash and grease and wax remover to get the dried glue off. They instantly turn the glue that was still adhered to mush, and do somewhat soften the dried, blackened areas. I got some 3M 08987 adhesive remover, and it does a much better job. It softens the fresher glue without making it slimy, and works much better on the dried stuff if left to soak for a bit. The problem is trying to let it “soak” on a vertical surface! It’s sunny and 30 degrees C here right now, so I’ll have to wait for a cooler day to get back at it.
Can you cover it with wax paper or Saran Wrap maybe? To hold the remover on the spot? As long as you test that it doesn’t dissolve it
Old 05-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #48
GMH

I tried soaking down a paper towel, hoping it would stick to the side of the trailer, but the slightest breeze blew it off.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:48 PM   #49
Hblick48

Get one of these....takes glue off.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-Stripe-Removal-07517-Diameter/dp/B00EW7MUQ4
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	61BEMIHqRLL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	33613  
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:06 PM   #50
jasin1

Just be careful with scotchbrite pads.. we use them on boats but not on any of the gelcoat that is topside . It will actually scratch the gelcoat like fine sandpaper and make a noticeable dull spot where you use it
Old 05-17-2021, 02:13 PM   #51
jasin1

My sign lady has a chemical she uses effectively .. you may want to call a couple local graphic/truck lettering places.. they may send someone to strip it for $200 or less Might be worth it
Old 05-17-2021, 04:17 PM   #52
LewisB

Our last trailer was a 2008 Raptor 3712TS - at 40' in length and 13'3" high, it was a monster. The graphics had all failed, were chipped, fading, and the edges were peeling as shown in the first photo. As Jasin suggested, we got a $1,200 estimate to have the decals removed - did not include any type of satisfaction guarantee. (Double click the photos to get a better view).

Name:	DSC00383.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	33619

We used rubber wheels, plastic razor blades, and the proverbial kitchen sink and got all the graphics and glue removed - it took two of us working full time over 2 long weeks to get this far. In this second photo, you can see the "ghosting" after graphics removal.

Name:	IMG_0061.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	33618

The problem here is that the paint under the graphics was fresh and shiny, the paint outside the graphics was faded and oxidized. There was no easy fix for this. I bought a very expensive Cyclo dual head orbital polisher and went to work. It took me over a week to go over the entire trailer with rubbing compound and wool pads. Then another week to polish the entire trailer with cleaner/polish.

Name:	DSC00400.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	33620

The end result was spectacular! Problem was, within a year, the trailer looked like the second photo. The oxidized/non-oxidized areas were completely ghosted again. This was going to be an on-going annual process or require a large investment in a refinishing process.

I polished it again and sold the trailer. I told the DW (who readily agreed) that at 73, that was my "last trailer decal removal" process. I will never do this again and I would never recommend this to anyone. My recommendation is to sell the trailer or learn to live with the graphics. JMHO
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:40 PM   #53
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Our last trailer was a 2008 Raptor 3712TS - at 40' in length and 13'3" high, it was a monster. The graphics had all failed, were chipped, fading, and the edges were peeling as shown in the first photo. As Jasin suggested, we got a $1,200 estimate to have the decals removed - did not include any type of satisfaction guarantee. (Double click the photos to get a better view).

Attachment 33619

We used rubber wheels, plastic razor blades, and the proverbial kitchen sink and got all the graphics and glue removed - it took two of us working full time over 2 long weeks to get this far. In this second photo, you can see the "ghosting" after graphics removal.

Attachment 33618

The problem here is that the paint under the graphics was fresh and shiny, the paint outside the graphics was faded and oxidized. There was no easy fix for this. I bought a very expensive Cyclo dual head orbital polisher and went to work. It took me over a week to go over the entire trailer with rubbing compound and wool pads. Then another week to polish the entire trailer with cleaner/polish.

Attachment 33620

The end result was spectacular! Problem was, within a year, the trailer looked like the second photo. The oxidized/non-oxidized areas were completely ghosted again. This was going to be an on-going annual process or require a large investment in a refinishing process.

I polished it again and sold the trailer. I told the DW (who readily agreed) that at 73, that was my "last trailer decal removal" process. I will never do this again and I would never recommend this to anyone. My recommendation is to sell the trailer or learn to live with the graphics. JMHO
I’m at the point in life where I don’t mind hard work but also don’t want to waste my free time on long grueling projects.. I just gave the go ahead to have my boat waxed for $21 ft.. $735, would have taken me a weekend or two and now I can go camping during that time ...life is too short and I’m trying to weigh the cost of professionals vs the misery of doing it myself.
I have a whole bunch of other things I take care of so it’s not like I’m lazy ..just trying to reach a balance in life
Old 05-17-2021, 06:41 PM   #54
Ken / Claudia

I am becoming like you. I can do many maintenance things, but do I want to
really to do them all. Heck I have fishing and others stuff to do. I recently found out the local RV repair shop would remove the wheel bearings, repack and replace grease seals for 195. At the same time inspect the brakes. I had them do it and got lucky, brakes are still great shape, no bearings needed replaced. I would have spend most of 1 day and wreaked my back for several days. I think it was worth it.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:21 PM   #55
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I’m at the point in life where I don’t mind hard work but also don’t want to waste my free time on long grueling projects.. I just gave the go ahead to have my boat waxed for $21 ft.. $735, would have taken me a weekend or two and now I can go camping during that time ...life is too short and I’m trying to weigh the cost of professionals vs the misery of doing it myself.
I have a whole bunch of other things I take care of so it’s not like I’m lazy ..just trying to reach a balance in life

You get enough things going on, things to do that pretty soon all you do is "maintenance" and take care of stuff. I've always done it; always loved to do it but after 65 I said "to heck with this". It's a never ending with all the doo dads that need attention, completely detracts from any fun that you might want to plan....and then eliminates it any way. Nope, find someone good at what you need and let them do it while you make or few casts....or whatever. Like Ken, I no longer pull my wheel bearings etc. I have a local shop that's done work for me for 30+ years (along with my company vehicles "back when"). They pull everything and repack the bearings for $120. I had them put new bearings in the last trailer - $70 IIRC. For that I would much rather be doing something else but to each his own.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 05:22 AM   #56
jasin1

This is labor intensive but could definitely work
Old 05-30-2021, 07:24 AM   #57
gearhead

^That you tube about painting the decals is excellent. My Bigfoot needs that bad. I have thought about using the 3M wheel but almost everyone says they still had the ghosting issue no matter what they did.
I had the same issue with oxidation on our previous Montana HC. Every spring and fall I would kill myself compounding and polishing. It got to the point I dreaded it. Finally said I just can't keep doing this. Either quit the RV thing or find a full color paint 5th. So I traded for the Landmark.
I'm the same as others have said. It doesn't take long to find yourself spending all your time doing maintenance on toys.
Here's my to do list that needs to be done ASAP:
Get the Bigfoot ready for August trip to the Knoxville Nationals sprint car race. Includes re-sealing bad sealant on the roof, replacing the AC heater element in the refrigerator, replace the A/C cowling (I have a replacement that I'm about 90% sure is wrong).
GoDevil mud boat needs a fuel system overhaul...new fuel hose, water separator, fuel filter, and oil change.
Landmark needs a piece of wood trim repaired. Mechanics are coming in July to do the disc brake job.
Bay boat needs lower unit maintenance and water pump replaced.
Yard needs the freeze damaged hedge pulled up. I'll hire that out.

I had always done my own maintenance, but for the first time I paid my RV shop to repack bearings and inspect brakes. At $135 per hour it was a bit pricey.

This afternoon we're babysitting, I'm going to a historical marker/Memorial Day event at one of my family cemeteries, and watching car races.
Bigfoot tomorrow, if it doesn't rain.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:00 AM   #58
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
^That you tube about painting the decals is excellent. My Bigfoot needs that bad. I have thought about using the 3M wheel but almost everyone says they still had the ghosting issue no matter what they did.
I had the same issue with oxidation on our previous Montana HC. Every spring and fall I would kill myself compounding and polishing. It got to the point I dreaded it. Finally said I just can't keep doing this. Either quit the RV thing or find a full color paint 5th. So I traded for the Landmark.
I'm the same as others have said. It doesn't take long to find yourself spending all your time doing maintenance on toys.
Get the Bigfoot ready for August trip to the Knoxville Nationals sprint car race. Includes re-sealing bad sealant on the roof, replacing the AC heater element in the refrigerator, replace the A/C cowling (I have a replacement that I'm about 90% sure is wrong).
GoDevil mud boat needs a fuel system overhaul...new fuel hose, water separator, fuel filter, and oil change.
Landmark needs a piece of wood trim repaired. Mechanics are coming in July to do the disc brake job.

I had always done my own maintenance, but for the first time I paid my RV shop to repack bearings and inspect brakes. At $135 per hour it was a bit pricey.

This afternoon we're babysitting, I'm going to a historical marker/Memorial Day event at one of my family cemeteries, and watching car races.
I think I’m going to need a pole barn in the near future ..whenever building prices come down..probably my only chance of keeping everything looking good for long term. Figure that will buy me years of wear and tear on the roof and also on oxidation of sidewalls....the full body paint definitely looks sharp,maybe go that route one day if I get a toy hauler
Old 05-30-2021, 09:06 AM   #59
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post

Brent when are they coming to do your brakes? It was Performance Trailer Braking right? They're coming to do my brakes, axles and MorRyde suspension on July 17. Was wondering if they make a trip to TX and try to do them all at once.

I had my bearings repacked, brakes inspected etc. last year by a local tire/wheel/auto repair place I've always used for tires and tire repair. $120 for pulling, packing the bearings and inspecting/adjusting brakes (my last trailer did not have self adjusting brakes).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:14 AM   #60
gearhead

^Yep the only way to really protect it is under a roof. I spent a good bit of time online pricing metal carports. I would need a 22x44 to cover the 5th, utility trailer, mud boat, and Bigfoot. I think I can do it for about $10k including a concrete footing. But I'm 70 years old and not sure how much longer I'll be doing this. But then again I could pull the trigger on it any day.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote