Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2015, 12:36 AM   #41
BSHGTO

so it goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Just a word of caution to those who may be considering these "G" rated tires for their RV, make sure that your wheels are rated for 110PSI. These tires are excellent for heavier RV's, but many Keystone products are being shipped with 16" 6 lug wheels and they are only rated at 80 PSI. In fact, a lot of the 16" 8 lug aluminum wheels used by Keystone are only rated at 80 PSI.

They may not be a good option if your wheels aren't rated to carry the pressures required by these tires.
just out of curiosity I tried find wheel failures due to over pressure on several forum boards, found none. just a couple of failures from cracks on the splines from pot holes or curbs but none on the main body that holds the air, one guy had a pin hole that leaked air over time but that`s it. From what I gather it`s more of a application issue than the ability of a particular wheel to hold higher pressures (limits to that I`m sure )This is what a major distributor of trailer wheels and tires says when a guy wanted to upgrade his tires to stronger ones and posed the question about using 110 lbs tires ( GY 614 )on a trailer that came with 80 lbs E load range tire. 6 lug rims not 8 lug I think this is where the confusion comes into play.I spoke with one of the engineers at HWT and he told me that the psi rating for an HWT wheel and tire assembly is only limited by the valve stem and tire. If your current wheels or new wheels have a psi rating under 110 psi, it is okay to use tires with a 110 psi rating as long as you are using a metal valve stem that can handle 110 psi.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:44 AM   #42
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
just out of curiosity I tried find wheel failures due to over pressure on several forum boards, found none. just a couple of failures from cracks on the splines from pot holes or curbs but none on the main body that holds the air, one guy had a pin hole that leaked air over time but that`s it. From what I gather it`s more of a application issue than the ability of a particular wheel to hold higher pressures (limits to that I`m sure )This is what a major distributor of trailer wheels and tires says when a guy wanted to upgrade his tires to stronger ones and posed the question about using 110 lbs tires ( GY 614 )on a trailer that came with 80 lbs E load range tire. 6 lug rims not 8 lug I think this is where the confusion comes into play.I spoke with one of the engineers at HWT and he told me that the psi rating for an HWT wheel and tire assembly is only limited by the valve stem and tire. If your current wheels or new wheels have a psi rating under 110 psi, it is okay to use tires with a 110 psi rating as long as you are using a metal valve stem that can handle 110 psi.
Here is one.

http://www.everest-owners.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1018

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:13 AM   #43
BSHGTO

Any thing manufactured can fail of course. I'm going with what an engineer that designs and manufactures my wheels say.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:27 AM   #44
Quad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post

I'm not advocating this is a common practice or everyone can do just replace with metal valve stems and be ok. However this story could just of easily been caused by imperfections in the casting process when made and just took that long to show itself. Cracks aren't only cause by over pressurizing of wheel and tires. That's one of many reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2015, 01:21 PM   #45
BSHGTO

another story but who knows

This is consistent with the information from two reputable tire vendors and a Goodyear representative. Both of the vendors said they had never seen a rim failure due to overpressure (on a single piece rim). One had been in business over 30 years, the other 22 years. My research into this question and the resulting information is in the folder named "another rim upgrade question" earlier in this thread.

Max load ratings are stamped on the rims, but maybe that's why Tredit doesn't stamp max PSI ratings on some of their rims anymore.

I ran 100 psi in my G614s for around 3500 miles without problems. But I have recently reduced the pressure to 90 psi to provide for a softer "ride" after referring to the tire loading chart and realizing 90psi still gives me plenty of headroom on my max load. This is a response on the same question from another forum board.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:02 PM   #46
JRTJH
Site Team

There are several different manufacturers of RV wheels. Each of them has a different policy and a different "engineering reliability program". All RV wheels are not the same. Here is a listing of differing opinions from the same "experts" with regards to wheel ratings and pressure ratings. Keep in mind that there is an entirely different standard for "steel wheels" and for "aluminum" or "alloy wheels".... That said, I think the reference found in this link bears consideration: https://www.etrailer.com/question-48956.html

"Expert Reply:
Without knowing the psi capacity of your wheel it is hard to say whether or not you will exceed its rating. I have talked to our trailer wheel manufacturers before and they have said that the wheel almost always will have a higher psi capacity than any tire that will fit the rim. Of course there are exceptions.

If you check your current wheels you should be able to find the rating. On alloy wheels, it is usually stamped into the metal on the back of the wheel somewhere. It can be difficult to find though, especially on a dirty wheel.

You should be okay to run the max psi of the tire you are running, but you will want to verify that your wheel can handle the psi by checking it. We always recommend running max tire psi also, you will get the best handling and wear characteristics. Check out the FAQ article I attached on trailer tires."

The following links, also from the "experts" at Etrailer.com, tend to "contradict" the above information from their own experts as well as the information on the HWT website. Who to believe? or is it: What to verify ???
Now, this information from the same website contradicts that by saying:

http://www.etrailer.com/question-53860.html

"Expert Reply:
I spoke with one of the engineers at HWT and he told me that the psi rating for an HWT wheel and tire assembly is only limited by the valve stem and tire. If your current wheels or new wheels have a psi rating under 110 psi, it is okay to use tires with a 110 psi rating as long as you are using a metal valve stem that can handle 110 psi."

This link, also from that same Etrailer.com site indicates that Dexstar wheels are rated differently from HWT wheels:

http://www.etrailer.com/question-75952.html

"Expert Reply:
All available 16-inch trailer wheels with the 6-on-5-1/2 bolt pattern, such as Dexstar # AM20741 that you referenced, can be seen on the link provided. Most of these wheels are rated for 3050-lbs at 90-psi pressure."

The following links also address inconsistencies in pressure ratings applied to wheels:
http://www.etrailer.com/question-40711.html
https://www.etrailer.com/question-37537.html

So, I think that "buyer beware" applies here. If for no other reason that the brand of wheel that is installed on your RV. If "BIG IF" they are HWT alloy wheels, they "should" be rated for 110 PSI with the proper valve stems. If they are Dexstar steel wheels, the maximum pressure is 95PSI, although some 14" and 15" 4 and 5 lug Dexstar wheels are only rated at 50PSI, and if they are Alcola or another brand of wheel, you should verify the maximum load rating and maximum PSI rating before making the assumption that "all wheels are made the same".... They simply aren't.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:22 PM   #47
Quad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are several different manufacturers of RV wheels. Each of them has a different policy and a different "engineering reliability program". All RV wheels are not the same. Here is a listing of differing opinions from the same "experts" with regards to wheel ratings and pressure ratings. Keep in mind that there is an entirely different standard for "steel wheels" and for "aluminum" or "alloy wheels".... That said, I think the reference found in this link bears consideration: https://www.etrailer.com/question-48956.html

"Expert Reply:

Without knowing the psi capacity of your wheel it is hard to say whether or not you will exceed its rating. I have talked to our trailer wheel manufacturers before and they have said that the wheel almost always will have a higher psi capacity than any tire that will fit the rim. Of course there are exceptions.

If you check your current wheels you should be able to find the rating. On alloy wheels, it is usually stamped into the metal on the back of the wheel somewhere. It can be difficult to find though, especially on a dirty wheel.

You should be okay to run the max psi of the tire you are running, but you will want to verify that your wheel can handle the psi by checking it. We always recommend running max tire psi also, you will get the best handling and wear characteristics. Check out the FAQ article I attached on trailer tires."

The following links, also from the "experts" at Etrailer.com, tend to "contradict" the above information from their own experts as well as the information on the HWT website. Who to believe? or is it: What to verify ???

Now, this information from the same website contradicts that by saying:

http://www.etrailer.com/question-53860.html

"Expert Reply:

I spoke with one of the engineers at HWT and he told me that the psi rating for an HWT wheel and tire assembly is only limited by the valve stem and tire. If your current wheels or new wheels have a psi rating under 110 psi, it is okay to use tires with a 110 psi rating as long as you are using a metal valve stem that can handle 110 psi."

This link, also from that same Etrailer.com site indicates that Dexstar wheels are rated differently from HWT wheels:

http://www.etrailer.com/question-75952.html

"Expert Reply:

All available 16-inch trailer wheels with the 6-on-5-1/2 bolt pattern, such as Dexstar # AM20741 that you referenced, can be seen on the link provided. Most of these wheels are rated for 3050-lbs at 90-psi pressure."

The following links also address inconsistencies in pressure ratings applied to wheels:

http://www.etrailer.com/question-40711.html

https://www.etrailer.com/question-37537.html

So, I think that "buyer beware" applies here. If for no other reason that the brand of wheel that is installed on your RV. If "BIG IF" they are HWT alloy wheels, they "should" be rated for 110 PSI with the proper valve stems. If they are Dexstar steel wheels, the maximum pressure is 95PSI, and if they are Alcola or another brand of wheel, you should verify the maximum load rating and maximum PSI rating before making the assumption that "all wheels are made the same".... They simply aren't.

I agree! [emoji1] I've stated before. I contacted my wheel manufacturer and discussed with them before I proceeded to install metal valve stems and raise my pressures. All wheels are not them same and they rate them in different manors sometimes. So before a blanket statement is followed I would contact your wheel manufacturer.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:01 PM   #48
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad View Post
I agree! [emoji1] I've stated before. I contacted my wheel manufacturer and discussed with them before I proceeded to install metal valve stems and raise my pressures. All wheels are not them same and they rate them in different manors sometimes. So before a blanket statement is followed I would contact your wheel manufacturer.

As with most manufactured items, there's the "best" "better" and "good enough" quality. HWT is the best, at least that's my opinion. I'm glad to see that Keystone is using more and more of their products on trailers. There are some "good" steel wheels and some "not so good" (well, barely meet specs). I don't think even in the steel wheels, Keystone is installing the "bottom of the barrel" but you never know. Always check to be sure what you "think you have" is "What you really have"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:17 PM   #49
CWtheMan

“Never exceed the maximum load capacity and/or inflation pressure of the wheel.”

That statement is found on page 4 of the reference below. The reference follows tire industry standards for all replacement tire situations. They should know, they have sustained a big hit in the past for not following industry standards.

http://www.tiresafety.com/images/Tir...t%20Manual.pdf

CW
Old 04-01-2015, 04:13 AM   #50
BSHGTO

Lots of good information from this thread. Have another trailer with tredit wheels, 80 lb 3750 6 lug With no psi rating on wheel just wieght rating. Called 2 of their retail outlets one in the south and one in the north and posed the same question. Was told not a problem just change the valve stem and they do it all the time, just don't exceed the weight limit. It looks like it just boils down to who you talk to. That's reassuring isn't it.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:33 AM   #51
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
Lots of good information from this thread. Have another trailer with tredit wheels, 80 lb 3750 6 lug With no psi rating on wheel just wieght rating. Called 2 of their retail outlets one in the south and one in the north and posed the same question. Was told not a problem just change the valve stem and they do it all the time, just don't exceed the weight limit. It looks like it just boils down to who you talk to. That's reassuring isn't it.
Tedit's IN office is the one that deals with Keystone, that's who I would ask.

Tredit
57941 Charlotte Ave
Elkhart, IN 46517
Phone: 855-887-3348
Fax: 800-795-4437
[email protected]

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #52
BSHGTO

yet another answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
Tedit's IN office is the one that deals with Keystone, that's who I would ask.

Tredit
57941 Charlotte Ave
Elkhart, IN 46517
Phone: 855-887-3348
Fax: 800-795-4437
[email protected]
tried to post earlier but didn't work for some reason. So i called.Long conversation short. Tech. says 3520 rims that keystone uses are good to 100 lbs psi. They should know their product so I guess that ends it.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:24 PM   #53
Quad

There you go then lol

Old 04-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #54
CWtheMan

Rims are not DOT certified. That responsibility rests with ASE.

Tire manufacturers provide the basic rim information as directed by DOT. That information may look something like this - 16x6.5 - on the vehicle certification label.

The best information anyone can get about a specific rim’s specifications is to contact the manufacturer. The DOT requires a SN/PN and rim manufacturer name to be placed on each rim.

Here is a link to a popular RV trailer rim manufacturer, both OE and after market. Every rim depicted has specifications.

http://sendelwheel.com/

CW
Old 04-02-2015, 03:48 AM   #55
BSHGTO

more more more

Item specifics, this is much better info than the guy at the counter.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #56
Cyncwby

Howdy, I'm the original OP from 10/13, glad to read all the good reviews from the happy members with the Sailun S637 tires. Just an FYI for those of you looking for them, I bought mine from a vendor an ebay goes by the name "Rustybore". Just type in Sailun S637 and you'll find him, IIRC I paid around $798 shipped to the house.

We are still EXTREMELY happy with these, peace of mind is maxed, we run across the desert to Lake Mojave and I never have a thought about a blowout. I have pretty much settled running 100 psi, we have a 34' Mountaineer and it tow's great. Enjoy your tires!
Cyncwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #57
shov

That is about the price I found them for online. I had hoped I could find them less expensive locally. But haven't yet

shov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:45 PM   #58
Cyncwby

I understand depending on how deep your wallet may be, I was able to sell the Marathons that came on my rig for $350 so I only needed about $450 to get the Sailuns. These tires are very much worth the money, those that have had a blowout at speed can tell you how much damage you have to your wheelwell area including the electrics that run through there. I won't even get into the dangerous condition you face in traffic trying to get off the highway.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #59
hdrolling

So are you guys buying 5 tires so you have a spare since its a different size than stock, or 7 if you have triple axles? It seems the prices you guys are listing for the tires you bought are for 4, just wondering.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:36 PM   #60
Cyncwby

I kept the Marathon spare, yea I know it's a shade smaller in diameter but I will need the 5th tire and a new 110 psi wheel as the stock spare is on a 80 psi steel wheel, just couldn't swing it $$$ at that time......... also, I just checked my vendor, "rustybore" on ebay. He is selling this tire for $188 with free shipping, this is a hellofa deal for this quality of tire. going to get my new spare and steel 110 psi wheel from him...... I hope.