Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
runaground

New Member in New York

Just bought a Pinnacle 36 REQS. Love the layout. Have been looking for a truck and it's s toss up between a Silverado LTZ 3500 DRW or F350 DRW Lariat. Looking to find a truck 1-2 yrs old with low mileage but they seem to be in the mid to upper $40k range. Thinking of getting a 2013 leftover with cheaper financing.

Any thoughts on Silverado vs Ford. I'm leaning towards the Silverado because of the Allison tranny.
runaground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
danimal

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new trailer. I am really surprised that you have not heard from anyone regarding your question. I know that both trucks are very good, have their pros and cons and would perform quite well. While I do not currently have a diesel I plan on getting one within the next year and have read alot of what people who own them have said both on this forum and others. For my 2 cents worth, I believe I would go with the duramax based on from what I have been reading, it seems as though they get a little better gas mileage. Also, I believe the duramax 6.6 has been around the longest and as you said, has the allison tranny. The old saying if it ain't broke, don't fix it (or change it).
2005 Keystone Hornet 245RKS
2008 Gulf Stream Trailmaster M220
Cobia 220 Walkaround w/Yamaha 200 OX-66 Fuel injection
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:26 AM   #3
runaground

Appreciate your comments
runaground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
admolt

Runaground,

If I were in your shoes, I would drive both, they both have high points, the feature that sells me on GM is the Allison tranny, The features that sell me on Ford are the mirrors, seats, overall ergonomics, placement of the brake controller, and the select shift feature of transmission(it does operate differently than gm on the 2012 model year). Also the loaded ride of the ford seems better to me but the unloaded ride of the GM pickups seems better, I surely hope this helps, a new tv is a big investment.

Admolt
admolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:03 AM   #5
R JOURNY

Try a Ram!

I worked for 33 years in a body shop, and if people knew what some of these trucks are made of, they wouldn't by them. That is why I have a 2012 Ram, purchased new last year from Dave Smith Motors in Idaho. Would you drive 1,300 miles to save $13,000? (off sticker price). I did, and have no regrets. They are the WORLD'S LARGEST DODGE DEALER. In 2012, Ram beefed up to 800 ft. lbs. of torque, and are equal to or better than Ford, Chevy, or GMC, IMHO. Also in 2012, the Ram does not use DEF, but all will in 2013. Dave Smith has OVER five hundred 3500 Rams in stock. Tell them what you are looking for and they will find it for you. I do not work for Dave Smith Motors.
They make their money by volume, not by gouging everyone who walks in the door like your average hometown dealer.

2013 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 295RKD
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4
SRW Crew Cab LOADED
6.7 Cummins DieseL 3:73
R JOURNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

hi there drive them all they all have good and bad points. I love my ram (cummins) engine. Is it at as plush as a Ford? nope. but it works for me. my advice is pick the best one you can afford and will safely tow your camper, and what just feels comfortable to drive. Your butt will be in that seat for quite a bit. after that go enjoy everything camping has to offer. have fun looking just like you did when you bought the camper
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
LittleJoe

Do your self a favour and also entertain a 2013 model year RAM and get a Aisin transmission (which is at a minimum and equal to the Allison with a 185Kmile warranty (at least in Canada))
The fuel mileage is back with the use of DEF and SCR tech in the 13 model year.

My son traded his 2011 Denali 3500 4x4 DRW for a 2014 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4.
He had 70K miles on the Denali and now about 10K miles on the Ram. The mileage on the RAm is running better than the Dmax empty and equal towing 16K. The truck suspension is completely redesigned and the difference towing between the two is nothing short of eye opening.

Don't get me wrong, the Denali was/is a nice capable truck and you would not go wrong, but technology marches on.

The deciding factor may be how close or good your service provider/ dealer is if you don't wrench.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote