Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
rfinley

So you think you have enough tow vehicle ??

Was a minute or two behind this on 87 south bound just south of the New Baltimore NY rest area. They were headed south. The truck is a Toyota Tacoma. It appeared everyone was out of the truck so hopefully there were no serious injuries. Not sure what happened but it sure spoiled their day.........

rfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
poncho62

And, I bet they passed you a ways back, going much faster than they should be
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I do not understand the thread title?
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
tileman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfinley View Post
Was a minute or two behind this on 87 south bound just south of the New Baltimore NY rest area. They were headed south. The truck is a Toyota Tacoma. It appeared everyone was out of the truck so hopefully there were no serious injuries. Not sure what happened but it sure spoiled their day.........

Looks like a big trailer for a Toyota Tacoma but I could be wrong.

Was coming back from GA last night and a guy passed me in a dodge 1500 must of been running 80 at lest the trailer was a older model but wow was it ever swaying side to side.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
RGene7001

Looks like older model in basic configuration due to dark plastic bamper. Can pull 6500lb of gravel in the utility trailer with 6 cyl. Pretty meaningless number for TT. Would not be surprised to see a towbar extending the rear overhang by another foot or so.
However we should not assume it's all because of TT. Even with trailer the major reason for trouble would be usual lack of judgement or attention, unsafe speed, booze, cellphones, sleep deprivation, behaviour of other driver forcing avoidance maneuver and so on.
Sad picture anyway

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
Bluewater

I'd really like to know what he gets now for a two vechile???
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:15 AM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
I do not understand the thread title?
Small short wheel base TV, with a long TT. Without a perfect hitch setup can quickly become a hand full with sway.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
tundraman67

If he would have read enough of this forum he would have known that he need at a minimum a one ton dually to pull that trailer....and have a PHD in mathematics to figure out that he was way over capacity with that set-up....lol
tundraman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

that is a sad picture! but if everyone is ok that is good news. Whatever leason was presented, hope it was well learned.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
Woodsrider

I doesn't look like anyone standing there was in that truck for the ride, all of them seem to have pretty clean britches.

I wonder what his insurance agent is going to have to say about that.

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
RGene7001

I live in Florida which is a no fault state. My insurance policy states clearly when no coverage will be provided and none of this reasons has anything to do with trailers, overloaded or otherwise. I believe they will get a check. Other states may have different regulations but it should be in the policy. Trailer related accidents make around 1% of all crashes, so I doubt they will make a big deal, the cover even drunks with no questions.
Of course, if all these rather big five persons came from the Taco, it would be badly overloaded even without trailer.

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:20 AM   #12
GaryWT

Saw a Toyota pulling a fifth wheel last night seemed to be ok but maxed out. Anyway, hope all are well.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:47 AM   #13
davidjsimons

Just because you can tow it does not mean that you can safely tow it down the road. The truck was obviously maxed out to begin with. Once something went wrong, there was no capacity left for compensation. I get harassed and joked with by my friends as to not having enough trailer for my truck. I know that is not a luxury afforded to everybody, and finances most time dictate decisions with respect to trucks. Fortunately, I live in rural Virginia and already drove a DRW 3500 before ever considering buying a RV, so the tow vehicle was never a consideration. My occupation already dictated the truck. With that in mind, it is easy to get hung up in the excitement of purchasing a new RV and buying the most trailer that you can afford. The problem then becomes not having enough truck. You are assured by the salesman that what you have will do the job and you go ahead and buy the trailer. Some then figure on upgrading the truck in the next year or so, just hope the results do not match the picture on this tread in the meantime. I know that my truck is maximum overkill for my unit and I'm not advocating that everybody must have a DRW 3500. I'm just saying be wise and careful in the decisions that you make. Nobody is going to take the time and consideration for your safety as seriously as you should.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:03 AM   #14
tileman

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post
Just because you can tow it does not mean that you can safely tow it down the road. The truck was obviously maxed out to begin with. Once something went wrong, there was no capacity left for compensation. I get harassed and joked with by my friends as to not having enough trailer for my truck. I know that is not a luxury afforded to everybody, and finances most time dictate decisions with respect to trucks. Fortunately, I live in rural Virginia and already drove a DRW 3500 before ever considering buying a RV, so the tow vehicle was never a consideration. My occupation already dictated the truck. With that in mind, it is easy to get hung up in the excitement of purchasing a new RV and buying the most trailer that you can afford. The problem then becomes not having enough truck. You are assured by the salesman that what you have will do the job and you go ahead and buy the trailer. Some then figure on upgrading the truck in the next year or so, just hope the results do not match the picture on this tread in the meantime. I know that my truck is maximum overkill for my unit and I'm not advocating that everybody must have a DRW 3500. I'm just saying be wise and careful in the decisions that you make. Nobody is going to take the time and consideration for your safety as seriously as you should.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.

Very well said.

Me and my wife are self-employed in flooring for well over 23 years so we need and drive the bigger trucks.
My work truck is a 3500 box van and my wife's truck is the 3500 dodge.
And we have a small toyota for the kid's.

When we went to look and buy our 5th wheel fuzion not once did anybody asked what we drove. Seems to me that would be my first question.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #15
audio1der

Quote:

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.
While I agree with the latter part of your statement, how can you look at that cel-phone quality pic, and determine it was "obviously maxed out to begin with?" That seems a bit presumptuous IMO.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #16
davidjsimons

So you think you have enough tow vehicle ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1der View Post
While I agree with the latter part of your statement, how can you look at that cel-phone quality pic, and determine it was "obviously maxed out to begin with?" That seems a bit presumptuous IMO.
Look at the length of the trailer and it is a Toyota Tacoma, not a Tundra. Camera quality is not an issue with that presumption.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #17
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Look at the length of the trailer and it is a Toyota Tacoma, not a Tundra. Camera quality is not an issue with that presumption.
How long is that camper?
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #18
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
How long is that camper?
Too long for a Tacoma.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.