Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Jim Dow

Best Rearview Camera!

I've been looking at rearview camera systems to aid in backing up/positioning our 5er. I just found a solution using our iphones/ipads for the price of $1.99 each; and it works just fine. Now I wil NOT be spending $500 or more for a wireless rearview camera system that works only marginly.

Go to the Apple store and buy a copy of "Bluetooth Video Chat" for each of two iPhones/Ipads. It allows me to view the streaming video from my wife's iPhone and listen to her comments on my iPad on the truck's dash or on my iPhone. She can move freely around while watching for me; and the clear-transmission range is about 50' for sound/video and about 75' for video-only.

It's a great use of iPhone/iPad technology!
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
labs4life

Good to know!!!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
byrdr1

I have AirBeam on my iphone and it works with any PC as long as you have wifi.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
Kristi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dow View Post
I've been looking at rearview camera systems to aid in backing up/positioning our 5er. I just found a solution using our iphones/ipads for the price of $1.99 each; and it works just fine. Now I wil NOT be spending $500 or more for a wireless rearview camera system that works only marginly.

Go to the Apple store and buy a copy of "Bluetooth Video Chat" for each of two iPhones/Ipads. It allows me to view the streaming video from my wife's iPhone and listen to her comments on my iPad on the truck's dash or on my iPhone. She can move freely around while watching for me; and the clear-transmission range is about 50' for sound/video and about 75' for video-only.

It's a great use of iPhone/iPad technology!
Do you need wifi or cell signal for it to work? Cell signal is spotty at best in our favorite campground.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Clanton24v

Interesting I just may try this
Clanton24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
curlyfungirl

My husband's F-350 has a built in back up camera. We didn't realize that the little line in the middle lined up exactly where the ball hitch is. Made hooking up the boat a breeze yesterday. No need to stand outside and flap my arms giving directions on which way to go!
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
Pmedic4

Talking Backup Camera

While not as inexpensive as Jim's solution, I found a Magellan GPS which had a GPS unit and Magellan Camera for about $175 on special. I've seen some cheaper wireless cameras, the reviews have been less than positive for everyone, which is why I went with the more expensive Magellan option.
I got a 7" display GPS to easily see the image, and it was a wireless hookup.

I have seen wireless setups on Amazon with a 7 inch monitor, and camera for as low as $50, so it doesn't have to be as expensive. I do have a GPS smartphone, so I don't really need the GPS, but like the quality of the Magellan unit. The one issue now, is that I bought the camera for the back of my truck to hook up my TT, but have since upgraded to a 5er. So, I'm tempted to move the camera to the back of the 5er, but worry a little about the range of the wireless camera - Truck camera distance is only 15 feet away, the back of the 5er would make the camera transmitter about 45-50 foot away, so wonder about the range of that setup. Plus, sometimes I tow other trailers with the truck and like the rear bumper camera for those hookups. So, now I need the "Dual input" screen! When will it ever end.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
MicheleF

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfungirl View Post
My husband's F-350 has a built in back up camera. We didn't realize that the little line in the middle lined up exactly where the ball hitch is. Made hooking up the boat a breeze yesterday. No need to stand outside and flap my arms giving directions on which way to go!
We have a 2008 F350, and it has a backup camera in the rearview mirror. I am going to see if there's a similar short-cut to hook up our cargo trailer... Thanks for the tip - may reduce the heavy sighs.... LOL
MicheleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
curlyfungirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleF View Post
We have a 2008 F350, and it has a backup camera in the rearview mirror. I am going to see if there's a similar short-cut to hook up our cargo trailer... Thanks for the tip - may reduce the heavy sighs.... LOL
Check yours out. Ours is a 2012 so I don't know if it is a new thing.
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
Albert

Ed, I tried that same setup on my high country. The distance for the wireless was to far for good reception on the back of the 5er. I also wanted a camera at the back of the pickup also. I ended up purchasing the voyager wireless unit that also has two inputs for hard wire. I hard wired the camera installed in the ford emblem and used the wireless one for he rear of the 5er. Work great but a lot more expensive. It also has a 7 inch monitor.

Good luck .
Old 06-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
Jim Dow

Apple iPhone Wireless Camera Solution

The iPhone camera arrangement does NOT require WiFi or cellular service. That's what makes it such a good alternative. The iPhones communicate via Bluetooth - not a lot of range but good quality audio and video; and it costs $1.99 for each of the two phones.

I'll work with this.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #12
Kristi

Thanks Jim

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #13
micar

What is the actual name of the app you're using?
There seems to be lots in the App Store, want to get one I know works
Thanks Mike
micar is offline   Reply With Quote