Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
mach22

Satellite Coax

I have a 2013 327RES with a Satellite connection in the water bay. I was able to determine if I remove a 6in coax jumper from behind the TV it appears to be the other end of the satellite connection. BUT, I need 2 dish to receiver coax runs. There is a TV coax connection for a TV in the basement on the other side. Where does this connection go? Nothing is labelled. What is the purpose of the short jumper linking the Satellite behind the TX to something else. Can I somehow use this for my second dish connection

mach22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:45 AM   #2
dankent

From what i was lead to believe .. this jumper is what sends the signal to the bedroom. I believe the way they come you can only have one sat connection live at a time. Hope i am wrong.

Current:
2014 Keystone Cougar 333MKS

Sold:
2012 Keystone Sprinter 255RKS
dankent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
MarkS

This gives a lot of people trouble. Here is how the Jumper and Wineguard plates are wired.

A couple of notes:
  1. This jumper is in the bedroom on some floor plans.
  2. The Wineguard plate blocks "power on coax" which can be a problem for some portable dishes. Like Tailgater.
  3. The splitter is usually in the wall behind the Winegard Plate.
  4. Some floor plans have a separate sattelite cable to the entertainment center from the docking station.
  5. Some people run the sattelite dish cable through a window or through the seal of a slide to help with multiple reciver installs.
  6. The jumper is there to provide a place to install a single cable / sattelite box.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SatCable1.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	3377  

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
mach22

Your diagram makes sense, I gather "docking station" is the satellite dish connection. I undid the jumper and connected the receiver and was able to get 1 satellite from the dish. If I can find the splitter I should be able to use it for the second sat input.

Thxs for a the diagram .
mach22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
Roller4Tan

The splitter has to be satellite compatible (high Gigahertz). Normal cable splitters will not work.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
MarkS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach22 View Post
Your diagram makes sense, I gather "docking station" is the satellite dish connection. I undid the jumper and connected the receiver and was able to get 1 satellite from the dish. If I can find the splitter I should be able to use it for the second sat input.

Thxs for a the diagram .
I think you called it the water bay, Keystone calls it the convenience center. It's where you can connect the cable / satellite dish. Along with city water.

If you take off the Wineguard plate, tug on the cables behind it. The splitter should pop out.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
18K Pullright Hitch
Old 06-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
Pappydude

There are a number of responses to this issue on another forum (somewhere here) as well as some options on how to make a new connection. I know - I posted one......
Good luck
Pappydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:00 AM   #8
Jim Dow

Rewiring Coach/TT for Satellite Use

Everyone who wants to use satellite TV in an RV has your problem. I found the post "Rewiring Your Coach for Satellite Use" very sufficient and rewired my coax (2011 Montana High Country) to resolve the problem.

The coax splitter (behind the antenna amp in my bedroom closet) must be replaced with a new one suitable for satellite signals first.

The antenna amp coax cables must be rewired second.

I used a Klein Coax Tracer unit (Lowes) to trace the coax cables before starting on the antenna amp rewire job. Refer to attached pic.

I am using the Dish Tailgater (single receiver) and have been completely satisfied - even though all TVs have to show the same channel unless you add a separate DVD player, which I did.

Go ahead and do the coax rewiring mod. You can still use the antenna if you need to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Klein Coax Tracer.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	3382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed Coax Rewire.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	3383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Labeled Coax.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	3384  
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
MarkS

I had to do a lot of seaching to find the article that Jim Dow refers to. It's not on this forum. Here is a link to it http://www.tv4rv.com/wiring.pdf

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
18K Pullright Hitch
Old 06-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
heli190

Tv Wiring

Keystone has a schematic for the TV wiring. After several emails they emailed me a copy.In my Alpine I had 8 TV jacks with no markings. If you have Dish service, with their 211 receiver and have the tailgater, you only need the coax. It does not require a power cable. The power goes through the coax.Also, if you want a dish on the roof, Road King has a dish that hooks up the same way. I have mine set up with an AB switch so I can use either ant.
heli190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
superbob

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ight=satellite

I had to do something similar with my trailer. I had 2 connections outside so it was fairly straightforward. There are diagrams in the thread link
1997 Glastron Fish n Ski 3.0l
superbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:36 AM   #12
chisholm24

Wink direct tv hook up

I just purchased a 2014 Moutaineer. We were told you hook the satellite (Direct tv) to the connections in the convenience center and then the box inside off the satellite connection. upon flipping the switch from antenna to satellite it would not receive signal. works fine direct connect running coax though window. Is there something we are missing?
chisholm24 is offline   Reply With Quote