Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
moose308

torque suspension nuts

does anyone torque the nuts on their suspension?
moose308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
ewkearns

No, not really. They need to be tight enough that they will not rotate in service, but there is no specified torque value for them.

Torque values are typically designed to stretch a bolt placed in tension. Hangar bolts and the like are stressed in shear and, thus, don't need to be torqued to any specific value, but rotation is a no-no.

Tighten the bolts enough that they won't rotate, but don't bend the hangers. Make sure that there are a couple of threads extending beyond the nuts and make sure there is some form of locking mechanism on the nuts. I would guess that elastic stop nuts are the most common form of locking devices....
2005 20' Angler CC
2005 17' G3 CC
ewkearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Not sure if all are this way but ...... My hanger bolts (from Dexter) were knurled near the head and fit tightly into hanger. Instructions said to turn only the nut to a specified torque (Don't remember ft,lbs.) to prevent bolt from turning and elongating the hole in the hanger when in use. I am sure this info should be available from Dexter or maybe even Lippert websites. They were very clear on NOT turning the bolt. JM2˘, Hank

Just checked Dexter website .. they say 65-70 ftlbs on hanger nut and 30-35 on equalizer nuts Hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
ewkearns

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Not sure if all are this way but ...... My hanger bolts (from Dexter) were knurled near the head and fit tightly into hanger. Instructions said to turn only the nut to a specified torque (Don't remember ft,lbs.) to prevent bolt from turning and elongating the hole in the hanger when in use. I am sure this info should be available from Dexter or maybe even Lippert websites. They were very clear on NOT turning the bolt. JM2˘, Hank

Just checked Dexter website .. they say 65-70 ftlbs on hanger nut and 30-35 on equalizer nuts Hope this helps, Hank
Always follow the manufacturer's instructions. This assembly uses knurled bolts to prevent rotation (so, turning the bolt would be disastrous) and uses bushings for clearance.... so, torquing the nut to achieve tension against the bushing makes sense.....

Ignore me (and anybody else), if the manufacturer has specific instructions.....
2005 20' Angler CC
2005 17' G3 CC
ewkearns is offline   Reply With Quote