Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
E597283

2011 Passport Refrigerator Temperature Control

I have had issues with setting the temperature in my refrigerator. I have the sticker that says to slide the plastic glide up on the fin for cooler temperature but the refrigerator always takes a while to cool and doesn’t seems to be that cold. I have read on an older thread that the wire with the “large tip” needs to be actually touching and making contact with the fin. Is this correct? I do have it attached to the glide but I am not sure it is actually making contacting with the fine. Why don’t they just have a normal temperature control dial like a normal refrigerator? I assume there are not temperature controls for the freezer?

2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH Ltd. Edition

2007 Yukon XL Denali, 6.2 liter
E597283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
raytronx

It doesn't have to touch the fin, but the higher it is the cooler the fridge should get. Get a fridge thermometer, you should see temps on the top shelf around 30 degrees. The fridges take a long time to cool 6-8 hours from turn on.

Also too much food packed in there, especially along the walls will reduce cooling. A small electric fan inside will help, also.

Ray

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
E597283

What actually is in the wire that knows it is raised up and asking for cooler temp. How does it work? And why no temp control in the freezer?

2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH Ltd. Edition

2007 Yukon XL Denali, 6.2 liter
E597283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
f6bits

I believe it's just a temperature sensor. If you move it higher, it tells the fridge it's warmer and needs to be cooled. As is the case with more compact fridge/freezers, it's a single cooling system that puts priority on the freezer, using the fridge as the thermostat.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
raytronx

It's a resistor that changes resistance with temp, so called a Thermistor.

The change in resistance is read by the little fridge brain and adjusts the amount of heat applied to the boiler and cools the fridge more. Moving the thermistor higher makes it cool more. I believe the air is warmest near the top, hot air rises, so there is a temp difference.

It's a pretty smart simple method, no moving parts, unlike a knob method which can get oxidized and easily get erratic.

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote