Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
madman

water damage

hi everyone,i have a 07 keystone everst.the promblem is i noticed this summer i have some spongy spots in my gally floor right in front of the slide.i cant find any visable leak.i put up for winter and just now went out to try to fix.found the froor was rotten and wet.can this be caused by condensate or should i look for another source?
madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I doubt if that floor rot was caused by condensation. It is more likely to be caused by a leak in the slide, a window(s), outside vent or other exterior fixture or the roof. As you know, water can and will travel from the entry point and eventually come to rest and collect at the lowest point in its movement. It may be even be coming through a seal or piece of of trim at the bottom of your unit - most likely in the slide or kitchen area.

The source of a leak can be really hard to pinpoint - especially in your case where the leaking seems to have gone on for quite an extended period.

I'd start from the roof and work my way down the unit - checking the rubber membrane for any tears or punctures and all of the caulking around every vent, skylight, antenna, etc. Check window and door seals/caulking, running lights, etc. on the the outside walls as well.

Inside, don't forget to have a look at your water lines, there may be a loose connection somewhere.

Depending upon the extent of the floor rot, this may not be an easy or cheap fix - once you have determined the source of the leak and how handy you are.

I am sure you will get several other posts with numerous suggestions about the leak and the floor. Let us know how you make out once you start looking.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
madman

cant find a obvious leak found but was wondering if the roof membrain has seperated from roof will this cause a leak?it has no holes or rips but is loose along edge in a spot.
madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Sometimes, if the membrane hasn't been glued down properly, it will be a bit loose in spots or even form bubbles. As long as loose section is intact - no rips or holes - it should be ok. That loose section should still be wrapped around the edge and tucked beneath a gutter and properly sealed where the gutter meets the rubber roof.

Unfortunately, many leaks are not "obvious" and, if not caught early, can cause significant damage - as you have found out.

If you are certain the roof has no leaks, start working your way down the sides checking all the windows, vents and other access areas are located such as the fridge, furnace, storage compartments, speaker mounts, awning support brackets, etc.

Weather and temperatures permitting, try spraying some water on your roof and over your RV and see if you can spot any new signs of water entry.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
jayman

just wondering if you figured out the problem i have a 04 311 bhs and had 2 small soft spot on both ends of slidw floor i took off carpet and and found floor near slide water damaged, but for the life of me cant figure out where the water came in from ,the slideout floor is perfect not a drop of water so all windows around slideout im assuming are ok i have hosed water around whole slideout and roof any suggestions/should i start ripping apart walls all seem hard and no marks also there is no water damage on other side of floor so dont beleive its leaking from other side
jayman is offline   Reply With Quote