Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2022, 10:50 AM   #21
Gr8bawana
Gone Traveling

We are currently at an RV park that has 300+ spaces. There are about 100 5th wheels right now and 1 is being pulled with a SRW 3500, 2 are being pulled with DRW 3500's and all the rest are being pulled by SRW 2500/250's.
Should I go and tell them all that we're headed for immediate disaster because you say pulling a 5er with a 2500 simply can not be done? I don't feell like getting laughed out of the park.
I'm out.
Gr8bawana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:03 AM   #22
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8bawana View Post
We are currently at an RV park that has 300+ spaces. There are about 100 5th wheels right now and 1 is being pulled with a SRW 3500, 2 are being pulled with DRW 3500's and all the rest are being pulled by SRW 2500/250's.
Should I go and tell them all that we're headed for immediate disaster because you say pulling a 5er with a 2500 simply can not be done? I don't feell like getting laughed out of the park.
I'm out.
We have all observed 3/4 tons seriously overloaded. When I am in a park, I don't feel it is my duty to talk to strangers about anything other than dodging a lightning bolt about to hit them. Here, we are loosely said, a family of Keystone owners and look out for the safety of each other especially when someone is in a really dangerous towing condition. I have never been taken with the rationalization that if everyone else is doing something patently stupid, it is OK for me to do as well as I take responsibility for my own safety and the safety of those I share the road with and of course, my missus. Some really smart folks have reached out to you and you can do as you like as that is your right. Bye.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:18 AM   #23
grey ghost

Originally Posted by Gr8bawana

Over the years I've pulled pop-ups, travel trailers and now two different 5th wheels so I have been a camper for many years! I've never thought I knew all there was to know about pulling a camper so I've always carefully reviewed everyones advice and used what I thought was appropriate in an effort to be safe out there amongst them. Sorry if the advice given has offended you, but maybe, just maybe, you should carefully review the data. I used to pull a 18,000lb 5th wheel with a F-250 and thought everything was ok, but like you, was always being told it wasn't the safest thing to do. After checking my wieghts and speaking with some professionals, my insurance company and the police I changed and purchased a F-350 just to be safe, wow what a difference. Just saying sometimes we should listen to people that are only trying to be of assistance. Just my opinion of course. Enjoy your rig and please be safe out there amongst them!!!
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:06 PM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Apparently he's got all the answers. I wish he and his family safe travels..
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:40 PM   #25
travelin texans

Quote:
I'm out.
No one here EVER said you can not pull a 5th wheel with 3/4 ton truck! You could "pull" any rv much heavy than yours with even less truck, but the limiting factor is payload, the ability to "carry" the weight of that towed load.
We said your 5th wheel has a GVWR of 17k lbs & IS too much for a 3/4 ton. Those around you towing with 3/4s may or may not have as much rv as you, we weren't talking about them, we were talking about you!
Not only does yours have a heavy GVWR but the garage is in the front which adds nearly all.of the garage cargo weight directly to the tongue.
Sorry you've been offended by the "weight police" pointing out that you're overloaded, but the fact remains you are!
We are only concerned with the safety of you & yours along with the rest of us on the highway with you.
Safe travels!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 01:32 PM   #26
Gr8bawana
Gone Traveling

This will be my last response on this thread.
I don't know where you got a GVWR of 17,000, the sticker on the trailer shows a GVWR of 13,980. That's quite a bit less.
Have a great day!
Gr8bawana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 01:49 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

OP you do not say if you ever found your answers to the slide mechanisms. You said you found the one for the bedroom. The other 2 on that same side are cable driven. The motors will be on top of the slides behind the facial board mounted to the back wall. The main slide on the other side is a ram slide. I believe that motor will be under the trailer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 03:03 PM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I don't know where you got a GVWR of 17,000, the sticker on the trailer shows a GVWR of 13,980. That's quite a bit less.
Have a great day!
My error, 13,9980 lb. with a 25% pin weight that's only 3,495 (pluis the hitch). So add the rest of the stuff you carry in the truck and that payload will likely be well north of 4K. Good luck.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:38 PM   #29
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
A 40' 14K GVW trailer seems a bit much for a 2500 Diesel to carry. Pin weight around 3,200 lbs + hitch. I'm guessing your truck is a bit over it's payload and likely over the rear axle limits. just something to consider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
My error, 13,9980 lb. with a 25% pin weight that's only 3,495 (pluis the hitch). So add the rest of the stuff you carry in the truck and that payload will likely be well north of 4K. Good luck.
You had it right the first time!

Well seeing how the payload on your 2017 Ram is a bit of a crap shoot as we don't know if it is a crew cab, regular cab. or Mega Cab, or Short bed or long bed. So assuming your payload is about 2,200# to 2,300# depending on trim level. Well your pin will easily exceed that maybe as high as 2,500#.
Now the Hitch, Goosebox only add about 10#, but the system to hold it Factory or B&W weighs about 100# to 200#. Tools, extra fuel, firewood, people, pets and stuff is all above your GVWR.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:24 PM   #30
vampress_me

Quote:
Have a great day!
Well, he apparently looked at one sticker at least. Of course, can’t be bothered to look at the sticker on the door jamb of his truck which would give the rest of the story….but oh well, he knows he’s invincible and to heck with the rest of us out on the road at the same time.

But at least when the crash happens, he will know how to get his slides back in - even if the rest of the camper is little pieces…

Reminds me of the guy overheard at the restaurant tonight - complaining about how bad his drive was today towing a camper. The winds were a cross breeze at 20 mph. The thought crossed my mind that I would like to have seen his setup if 20 mph was that bad (and that I truly hope he stays out of WY), because I was driving in it all day too with our camper and didn’t think it was that bad.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote