Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2022, 08:43 AM   #1
DC&J

390DS inverter

Does anyone understand how keystone has wired the inverter in the 390DS. My gfci in the bathroom is tripping and causing the refrigerator to turn off. I’ve been told to turn off the battery switch to the inverter while on shore power. As well as leave it alone and keep it on.

What are y’all’s recommendations and what have you seen in the past.
DC&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:51 AM   #2
travelin texans

Need more information?
Do you have a residential fridge?
If so the inverter should be setup on a transfer switch that automatically switches to shore power when connected & vice versa, no need to shut off inverter.
If you don't have a residential fridge then you most likely do not have an inverter but a converter if shut off will kill your battery very quickly due to not charging.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:38 AM   #3
RVPackmates

390DS Inverter

We picked up or 390DS last Saturday and have had the same issue each day. The unit is currently at an RV park while we begin to move our stuff into the rig and continue to set it up. During the day everything is fine, however when we come back in the morning the GCFI breaker in the bathroom if tripped shutting off power to our residential refrigerator. I have not shut off the battery disconnect or the Brock Box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
RVPackmates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 07:24 AM   #4
Javi

Nothing about the wiring in a Keystone RV would surprise me very much... But I can tell you that my inverter is NOT wired to the GFCI in the bathroom.. YMMV

Also, my inverter has never been turned off unless I was working on the electrical in the trailer.. it's been on since July 22, 2020
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 07:53 AM   #5
bsmith0404

Have you tried shutting off the inverter? It’s not needed if you’re on shore power so doesn’t hurt to give it a try and see what happens. Although I don’t see a reason for the fridge/inverter to be wired through the bathroom GFI, it sounds like it is.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 05:45 AM   #6
DC&J

Fixed issue

Thanks for all the replies. We paralleled the circuit together on the load side of the GFCI. Problem fixed refridge measured 1.4amps max and hasn’t tripped in 2 days.

As for the inverter if you cut power to inverter it will not run the refrigerator. When we turned the battery switch to off inverter would shutdown.

Other issue I’ve found is the receptacle on the island and the queen bedroom receptacles have no power. I’ll drop underbelly again and trace this out later.

I’m becoming a pretty good Service tech for my RV lol.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:52 AM   #7
DC&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPackmates View Post
We picked up or 390DS last Saturday and have had the same issue each day. The unit is currently at an RV park while we begin to move our stuff into the rig and continue to set it up. During the day everything is fine, however when we come back in the morning the GCFI breaker in the bathroom if tripped shutting off power to our residential refrigerator. I have not shut off the battery disconnect or the Brock Box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I wrote a post below but wanted to also mention. The heat ventsyou may want to get shutoff vents in the kitchen area to allow for better flow in back and front bedrooms.

I also noticed if I pry on the 1/4” nails it will drop the underbelly. This will allow for you to see the dryer vent and all the electrical wiring. It’s not complicated a flat head and 1/4 drive is all you need minus the 3/8th bolts in the middle.

Anything you find or figure out please share we can learn from each other.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:06 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC&J View Post
Thanks for all the replies. We paralleled the circuit together on the load side of the GFCI. Problem fixed refridge measured 1.4amps max and hasn’t tripped in 2 days.

As for the inverter if you cut power to inverter it will not run the refrigerator. When we turned the battery switch to off inverter would shutdown.

Other issue I’ve found is the receptacle on the island and the queen bedroom receptacles have no power. I’ll drop underbelly again and trace this out later.

Can you elaborate on the bolded part of your statement?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:27 AM   #9
ChuckS

Quote:

The WFCO 5100 series inverter that "SHOULD BE" the inverter in your Avalanche ( Year???) has an AUTO PASSTHROUGH inside it that bypasses the inverter and simply runs 120 volt shore power straight thru to the fridge outlet..

It would NOT NORMALLY be wired to a GFCI...

The issue to outlets on the Island are they labeled "GFCI Protected?" anything on the Load Out side of the GFCI thats got an issue will cause the GFCI to trip

There are also quick splices in each of these circuits (BR and Island) as well as they are using junk Self Contained outlets...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 07:04 PM   #10
DC&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Can you elaborate on the bolded part of your statement?
Instead of the power on line and refridge on load. I installed both on line side Bypassing the GFCI. 99% of residential refridge do not like GFCI. I called dealer and they agreed this was what they would do. Been working for a few days never going past 1.4 amps
Old 03-03-2022, 08:20 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Instead of the power on line and refridge on load. I installed both on line side Bypassing the GFCI. 99% of residential refridge do not like GFCI. I called dealer and they agreed this was what they would do. Been working for a few days never going past 1.4 amps
If the refrigerator plug is the ONLY plug that is no longer protected by the GFCI, you'll likely be OK. On the other hand, many RV "GFCI circuits" are daisy chained from outlet to outlet to outlet. Depending on where in that "daisy chain" the refrigerator outlet is wired, you may have "wired the outside plugs and the kitchen plugs so they are no longer progected.... Then again, if they are "not daisy chained with the refrigerator outlet" then it's not an issue....

Just because a dealer says, "Yeah, that's what we'd have done, so you're OK"... Doesn't mean it's the correct way to wire it, a safe way to wire it or even close to the way it should be wired.... So, take a critical look at all the wiring and determine if the "othe outlets" are still protected by the GFCI or if they, like the refrigerator outlet, are daisy chained to the hot side of the GFCI, eliminating it from even being "in the circuit" other than as a buss bar....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 01:21 PM   #12
DC&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If the refrigerator plug is the ONLY plug that is no longer protected by the GFCI, you'll likely be OK. On the other hand, many RV "GFCI circuits" are daisy chained from outlet to outlet to outlet. Depending on where in that "daisy chain" the refrigerator outlet is wired, you may have "wired the outside plugs and the kitchen plugs so they are no longer progected.... Then again, if they are "not daisy chained with the refrigerator outlet" then it's not an issue....

Just because a dealer says, "Yeah, that's what we'd have done, so you're OK"... Doesn't mean it's the correct way to wire it, a safe way to wire it or even close to the way it should be wired.... So, take a critical look at all the wiring and determine if the "othe outlets" are still protected by the GFCI or if they, like the refrigerator outlet, are daisy chained to the hot side of the GFCI, eliminating it from even being "in the circuit" other than as a buss bar....
The inverter ready GFCI is different from the RV GFCI. You are correct in your thoughts. I made sure to look into all options. Thankfully I am a state licensed electrician that tested out was t grandfathered. This is the only reason I was ok with the route chosen. I completely agree with the concern however in this case it’s all good.
Old 03-10-2022, 04:38 PM   #13
Db361

My inverter on my 2021 390 DS has been working without any trouble. However, make sure to check your heating system. My front bedroom and rear bedroom heading vents were all blocked. Also we are not getting any air conditioning flow to the rear suite or bathroom. In the shop now, may have to have a flow booster installed.
Db361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:27 AM   #14
RVPackmates

DC&J
I have the same rig with the same problem. I did some research and found that the battery disconnect switch does not stop the batteries from charging so I shut mine off and have not had any troubles with the power. Also the batteries are still at full change even after a week.

Hope this helps, good luck and join the pack.
RVPackmates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:51 AM   #15
chamdaddy

We picked up our 2022 Avalanche 390DS on May 5th. I will start off by saying we love this unit and its floorplan and expect to keep it for a long time, however we have experienced the same repeated issues posted above, most notably the residential refrigerator tripping the GFCI breaker in the master bath. It tripped at least 6 times in the first few days we had it. The dealer was no help particularly since we were 1300 miles away and they would not return my calls.

I did some research that suggested a residential refrigerator does not need to be on a GFCI (nor should be) so I rewired it to the Line side of the receptacle and all has been good ever since. Most of the downstream receptacles are not near water and don't need GFCI protection (TV and the recliner plugs). There is one questionable receptacle that is on the kitchen counter near the stove, however if someone is concerned they can add another standalone GFCI at that spot and feel secure.

Other common issues we experienced include the poor heater circulation in the two bedrooms and poor A/C circulation thru the single duct to the rear bedroom. I will likely look into a line booster as mentioned by Db361 above. Another issue I have encountered is all of the coaxial cable connections are suspect. In the Command Center, all of the connections could be pulled off with very little pressure, turns out none of the collars were crimped(compressed) so I went out and bought a RG6 crimper. The TV will not pick up any viewable channels even though I am currently parked in the middle of the Los Angeles Metroplex. My guess is the connection at the base of the Wingard 360+ is not properly crimped. Additionally the entertainment center wont pick up any signals nor even play a CD/DVD.

Other than these nuisance issues, we have not found any serious or structural issues that can't be fixed rather easily. I did not make this post to complain, but rather to help others if they encounter the same issues that can be fixed rather easily or identified during their walk-thru before leaving the dealer's lot. Again we love the unit and hope most of these issues are behind us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220507_175238.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	39949  
chamdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:27 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

From my experience it will take about a year for the gremlins to stop popping up then the sailing gets much smoother.

In your comments about the res fridge you didn't mention the inverter. How/where was it wired into the circuit(s) you describe?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:33 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Chamdady, just a suggestion, if you hit the enter key every now an again instead of making one long paragraph. It would make reading and understanding your post a lot easier.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:40 AM   #18
chamdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
In your comments about the res fridge you didn't mention the inverter. How/where was it wired into the circuit(s) you describe?
The GFCI circuit was on the inverted circuit too. That is how I could tell the circuit was tripped because the TV indicator light would go out and sure enough the GFCI in the master bath was tripped.
chamdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter