Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2022, 02:17 AM   #1
jxnbbl

Slide cable broke

We took out Bullet 330bhs out of storage and getting it prepped. I went up to inspect the roof and found a cable end laying on the roof of the slideout. It looks like the crimp gave away on this cable. (pics attached).

I live close to the dealer, but anticipating the usual phone calls to Keystone etc to get approvals and I can't wait for the repair this time. It looks simple to give if I had the crimp end (hopefully this is a 'stock item') at the dealer. I do have a heavy duty crimper for various stainless/cable combinations that I've used quite a bit so familiar with how to fix this.

Any advise from someone that has done this?

the first picture is showing the "adjustment end" of the cable hanging out on the roof". The second the "bare bracket" with the compromised cable end that needs to be fixed by crimping a new end on it.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4898.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	39126   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4899.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	39127  
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 02:58 AM   #2
wrvond

You can DIY that:

https://www.amazon.com/BAL-22305-Cab...99406153&psc=1

Edit: I just grabbed the first links I could find. If you go to the Norco website and follow the BAL links you'll find a more up to date video and parts listing.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:34 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

You don’t crimp a new end on, you replace the cable. It is a DIY type of repair, and buying a repair kit will get you enough cable to complete the job.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:33 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

BAL repair kits are available at nearly every RV parts store, RV dealership with a parts department or online at any RV parts center. Amazon has them for $26: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Repair-...s%2C172&sr=8-2

I wouldn't consider "reswedging a broken cable, replace it and buy a spare for the next cable that breaks, which will insure you never have another cable problem.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:08 AM   #5
jxnbbl

Well as it happens I have to repair the existing cable end. Or build a new one. I could not find a repair kit on the internet that can be delivered until next week.

But even then, I have all the parts except for the swag terminal at the cable end. I even have a SS threaded rod end and cable to make my own if necessary. Left over components from repairing a 'rowing course'.

So when I get the one piece I need I'll repair the existing, make a new spare cable and on the weekend pick up a repair kit to have "in stock" for the next time it happens....that way I don't have to carry along swagging tools "just in case".

Are there any things I should be aware of in adjusting an Accuslide? I will read the manual/adjustments but sometimes experience/tricks are the best.

Jay
Old 04-05-2022, 05:39 AM   #6
dutchmensport

I had one break a couple days ago in exactly the same place. I ordered the kit from Amazon (Same link as above). I also ordered the cutting tool and the crimper as I don't have either.

Unfortunately, I am currently in North Carolina and Amazon is delivering to Indiana. So, since this is not the first cable broken, I know the slide will still function properly with a little bit of a push while being retracted. It will be retracted when we leave our current campground, then the slide will be opened again one more time, and closed to return home in 3 weeks. So, I'm not worried about the broken cable and will fix it when I get back home.

There is an RV parts store close to where I am currently camped. They do not carry slide cables at all. No dealerships anywhere in the area where we are at right now, otherwise, I'd fix it now. Oh well.
Old 04-09-2022, 03:13 AM   #7
jxnbbl

I thought I would post some of the repair work...to give others ideas on emergency repairs. I now have a swagging tool, 20 ft of 3/16 cable and some fittings in my trailer. I am picking up a repair kit but since I couldn't get it in time for our trip I will pick it up on the way as called places along the route til I found one in stock.

The first picture is of a SS swag fitting used for cable railings I cut it down as it is usually a couple of inches long. The other part is that the "ball" part of it is larger than the real cables so I had to take the bracket off. crimp the end cap so that the diameter could be reduced to get into the slot. I then swagged the cable to the end cap with the help of my wife holding it together.

The second picture is that of the adjustment end. The missing cable made it about an inch too short. So I got a threaded rod, a coupler and lock tight (sp?)...I had to cut the original threaded end a bit to have enough room for the additional hardware and adjustment - If I had thought of this prior I could have cut the cable 2-3 inches before swagging and avoid the cutting.

Back together and as good as new....oh and re-silicone the bracket.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4922.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	39174   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4928.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	39175  
Old 05-25-2022, 04:20 AM   #8
jxnbbl

I thought I'd post a followup on this as I had some time this weekend to look at it again. The 'new end' that I swagged on is starting to wear in the same way the old one did and prior to ripping off.

I took a closer look and noted that the inside bracket on once side seems to be mounted lower than the other side and not in the location where there is a gap in the metal trim for the bracket (see pics one of each inside bottom bracket). I believe that the relationship of the inside/outside brackets with the wall pulley system mount is screwed up causing a collision or cable stress upwards or downwards those last few inches when being pulled in. Will investigate further.

The question for those that have worked on the accu slide system: Once I figure this out, is this something I should just fix or should I bring in under warranty? (assume I have to move brackets and/or the pulley to bring in line). Additionally I'm assuming just bring in a series of measurements of all the brackets/pulleys to show the problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5676.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	39890   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5669.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	39891