Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2022, 04:00 PM   #1
populous

suburban tankless

Have a 2022 Alpine 3220rl with a Suburban tankless water heater. My first experience with one. The suburban manual states to drain unit prior to winterizing, but i can’t find any access panel to reach it. The manual does say that antifreeze can be added to the unit. The keystone manual is no help and only refers to a traditional tank heater. Does any have experience winterizing this unit. Thank you
Scott
populous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 04:55 PM   #2
Mikendebbie

Your floor layout is close enough to mine that I will guess that your heater is in similar location to mine - curb side just behind your basement storage door. If you need to access anything on the backside of the heater - you simply remove the bulkhead wall. I’m in Central TX and I have never had to winterize my unit with the pink stuff. I have opened the low point drains and used my air compressor to blow out the system.

There is an access panel on the back of the unit and I believe there is a drain valve. I am on my iPad right now and all my pics are on my laptop. I will post some helpful pics tomorrow.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 04:41 AM   #3
Mikendebbie

There are several good videos about the unit - search "IW60 video"
Search for "Suburban NAUTILUS IW60 Installation And Operation Manual" if you did not get one with the manuals for your RV.
Also - try a search for "suburban iw60 service manual" and you can download it for more info on the unit.

Pics of my Suburban IW60...
1st pic - IW60 black cover panel
2nd pic - view of the water heater with the basement panel removed
3rd pic - back side showing the access panel on the back
4th pic - IW60 is removed, front view
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	suburban IW60 location curb side.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	39439   Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater 1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	39440   Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater 2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	39441   Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater 3.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	39442  
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:16 AM   #4
populous

thank you!
populous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:33 AM   #5
ChuckS

Also the RL version of the IW60 has a recirculation pump inside.. If you do not get this unit properly winterized you WILL freeze and crack that pump... In the last year I have seen posts from 10 other Alpine owners with that WH that have suffered cracked pumps...

Quite frankly - the WH .. when it works correctly is not bad.. But.. they should have kept the Suburban SW12DEL series WH and made the on demand an option..

It is not an option I would want.. Why?

The unit only operates on LP and there is no electric mode.. Also parts for the RL series are harder to come by..

There is also a reset button on that water heater circuit board that you need to become aware of and where its located at. It is accessed by removing the small panel on the side where the water line connection are located at.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 11:25 AM   #6
4Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Also the RL version of the IW60 has a recirculation pump inside.. If you do not get this unit properly winterized you WILL freeze and crack that pump... In the last year I have seen posts from 10 other Alpine owners with that WH that have suffered cracked pumps...

Quite frankly - the WH .. when it works correctly is not bad.. But.. they should have kept the Suburban SW12DEL series WH and made the on demand an option..

It is not an option I would want.. Why?

The unit only operates on LP and there is no electric mode.. Also parts for the RL series are harder to come by..

There is also a reset button on that water heater circuit board that you need to become aware of and where its located at. It is accessed by removing the small panel on the side where the water line connection are located at.
I might have got lucky with mine. Didn't know about having to winterize the pump on mine. Been using it now for a week and it has been working great?
4Buck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank