Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2022, 02:27 PM   #21
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I’ve seen plenty of people with 15 and 16” wheels lose bearings as well. I guess we all need trailers with 20” wheels. On second thought, better go to 24” just to make sure. Do smaller wheels turn more RPMs, absolutely,, but proper maintenance goes a long way on any trailer.
Love the exaggeration on wheel diameters and how that might make a difference. Well, actually, I guess it might make a slight difference?

But, you hit the nail on the head with your other statement - “proper maintenance goes a long way on any trailer”. And, how many people have no clue about any maintenance on a trailer, much less bearings and tires? Or, care to do said maintenance when “they only use the trailer once or twice a year” so that means it doesn’t get much wear and won’t need any maintenance for years. Seems like that’s a common mindset anyways….

But, either way, I see the smaller diameter tires/ wheels and see a higher likelihood of an issue arising, based off what I’ve seen/ dealt with while driving across the states over the years. YMMV

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 02:42 PM   #22
notanlines

Nitehawk, it is NOT legal in other states just because it is legal in your own.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 03:06 PM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Driver liscense are accepted in all states via recognized reciprocity agreements. That's not applicable for most liscences however. For instance a nurse, a plumber, or other proffesional liscence may or may not be recognized. Another example of that is concealed carry firearms permits. The only way to get an absolute answer is to contact each state you plan to traverse. And then, even if it's allowed by the state certian roadways may be restricted.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 12:10 PM   #24
HD0707

I towed one for two years behind my 43' Jayco. Ga, Fla, Ala, SC, NC, Tenn. No problems with towing but made my camper 50' long with 21' tail swing. Over all w/ long bed dully was 66'. Never hit anything (that I know of) but hard to get in and out of most places when your trying to get something to eat on the road.
HD0707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 05:30 AM   #25
Terryj

8 inch tire

8 inch tires do not scare me at all. Just maintain them and the bearings properly.

I have over 150,000 miles experience pulling trailers with 8 inch tires all over the USA and Canada with no problem. This includes the southern US in July and August. I normally run the speed limit.

The pressures are set according to load, the tires are good quality and bearings are inspected and repacked annually.

The rpm is about 1300 at 60 mph, which is faster than a larger wheel, but the tread speed is the same as a larger tire.
Terryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:27 AM   #26
jasin1

Besides not being legal in all states I’d be concerned about insurance not covering damage caused by triple towing with one of these….if you swing wide and hit a fuel pump or vehicle next to you or something falls off the back in traffic…seems like the insurance company might have a problem with one …I know John mentioned insurance endorsements for triple towing but at what point does your insurance not cover? Do they only cover what is directly hooked up to your truck? or the 2,3 or 4 trailers that you manage to connect after that?

I’d want something in writing from my insurance company.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:43 AM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
8 inch tires do not scare me at all. Just maintain them and the bearings properly.

I have over 150,000 miles experience pulling trailers with 8 inch tires all over the USA and Canada with no problem. This includes the southern US in July and August. I normally run the speed limit.

The pressures are set according to load, the tires are good quality and bearings are inspected and repacked annually.

The rpm is about 1300 at 60 mph, which is faster than a larger wheel, but the tread speed is the same as a larger tire.
Could you explain the bolded part to me?
Old 04-28-2022, 12:41 PM   #28
Terryj

the small tire turns about 1300 times in a mile. 60 mph is a mile a minute, so at 60 mph or a mile a minute the tire is turning about 1300 times each minute.

A 205/75r15 trailer tire turns about 740 times in a mile or about 740 rpm at 60 mph

The tread speed is the same no matter how big or small the tire as long as the tire is not slipping.. The part of the tire that is contacting the road is at 0 mph and the top of the tire is moving at twice road speed.
Old 04-28-2022, 01:04 PM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

OK, but what's the point? Rotating faster traveling the same distance equals faster tire tread and sidewall flexing, i.e. more heat and greater wear per mile. I would the higher the rpm the greater the centrifugal forces acting on the tire. So curious as to the point that while tread speed may be equal how that factors in.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:16 PM   #30
Terryj

centrifugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
OK, but what's the point? Rotating faster traveling the same distance equals faster tire tread and sidewall flexing, i.e. more heat and greater wear per mile. I would the higher the rpm the greater the centrifugal forces acting on the tire. So curious as to the point that while tread speed may be equal how that factors in.
centrifugal forces will not be greater in the smaller faster turning tire. In fact they would be less on the smaller tire due to less tread weight. If the weight of a larger tire was the same and distributed the same as the small tire the centrifugal forces would be the same. This is because the outside of the tire is moving at the same speed.

In theory you will get greater wear per mile on the smaller tire, due to the tread contacting the road more often.

As far as flexing, if the tire is properly inflated for the load and rated for the load, flexing is a non issue.

I know I will get oh what about the heat build up. If the tire is properly rated and inflated they will not over heat. When towing every time I stop, I walk around the trailer, place my hand on every tire including the tow vehicle. Never had a problem.

I am not arguing that there is not advantages to a larger tire, however the small tires get a bad rap due to poor maintenance, poor quality (tires bought on price alone) improper tire for application etc.

Small tires do have some advantages, like physical size, price, availability.

Larger tires get you better ride, cost more money, higher load capacity, longer life (if properly looked after) potentially a higher speed rating
Old 04-28-2022, 04:22 PM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

You can defend small dia tires, that's your porragative, my opinion differs and this isn't a physics forum so I'll leave it at that.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:22 AM   #32
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrhrdt View Post
Ask what time it is and someone will tell you how to build s clock.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 05:32 AM   #33
notanlines

Terry, I do have an engineering degree, albeit 40 years old, but you'll have to go some to defend your "In theory you will get greater wear per mile on the smaller tire, due to the tread contacting the road more often."
I believe you used a phrase that pertains to all tires, 'properly maintained.' While nothing of this 'swivel wheel platform' peaks my interest, it isn't because of small wheels/tires. I just don't see a problem in that respect.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 05:33 AM   #34
German Shepherd Guy

This is interesting as I was going to post about this. Yesterday in Montrose CO I saw a fifth wheel going by with just that sort of trailer behind it. Was too far away to see what state they were from. Guy had what looked like a huge generator or maybe just a large storage box on it. Interesting concept, I can see why some states would not allow it, and for me personally I could just not want to carry that much stuff. So to the OP I can say I have seen it done but never done it myself.
Good luck.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, tow, towing