Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2022, 09:04 AM   #1
2ships

adding an outlet

We own a Cougar 23MLS 5th wheel and would like to add an outlet. We want to patch into the outlet under the kitchen table under the bench and add the new outlet to the end of the bench towards the living area. Upon investigation, the existing outlet is connected to the in-house solar charging system. The outlet is a configuration that I am not familiar with. Can this be done?

I have pics if that would help
2ships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:16 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

The solar charging system is 12VDC and the outlet is 110VAC. They shouldn’t be tied together. Can you post some pics?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:55 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

I think your asking to add an outlet to an existing outlet that's on an inverter circuit. That's easily done if there's room on the base of that outlet for another set of wires. The RV outlets are different than typical residential. They are meant to speed wire, push the wire into the blades instead of stripping othe insulation and scewing the conductor to the receptical.

As you will need to get the materials to add a recetical (box, 14 ga romex, receptical) I would replace the existing location with a standard residential one at the same time.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:57 AM   #4
jasin1

Make sure you unplug from shore power AND make sure the inverter is off and outlet is dead before proceeding.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:04 AM   #5
2ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum

The solar charging system is 12VDC and the outlet is 110VAC. They shouldn’t be tied together. Can you post some pics?

Thank you to all who have responded. I am new to this site and I'm having trouble negotiating.

I'm not sure how to reply and not sure how to post pics.

Help
Old 04-13-2022, 10:10 AM   #6
2ships

Not sure how to post pics

Thanks for the note. If I understand correctly, by replacing the outlet I can simply replace the existing outlet and then connect to the new one and all is good?

I just wasn't sure if the "solar outlets that are patched into the internal system were different from the other outlets.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:10 AM   #7
2ships

Good idea, thanks
Old 04-13-2022, 10:20 AM   #8
2ships

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220413_092016.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	39234
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum Click image for larger version

Name:	20220413_092057.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	39235Click image for larger version

Name:	20220413_092107.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	39233

Name:	20220413_092016.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	39234

Name:	20220413_092057.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	39235

Name:	20220413_092028.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	39236

Thank you to all who have responded. I am new to this site and I'm having trouble negotiating.

Help
Old 04-13-2022, 10:32 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Not sure if I'm deciphering your posts correctly. You say you don’t know how to reply or post pictures but it appears you have done both. One suggestion, when replying to someone first click on "quote" so that their post will show up inside your reply. That way a reader knows what you're refrencing and makes it much easier to follow the conversation.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:34 AM   #10
jasin1

You did just fine…when responding to a particular person or post in a thread …hit quote first and it will display the post you are responding to and keep everything from getting confusing
Old 04-13-2022, 10:37 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
You did just fine…when responding to a particular person or post in a thread …hit quote first and it will display the post you are responding to and keep everything from getting confusing
I just said that! Thanks for adding the "turn off the electric first" I'm slipping in my old age.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:00 AM   #12
dutchmensport

Rather than taping into the actual existing outlet, you can always splice the wire itself and run a new spur off it. You already have two sets of wires going into that outlet. If you add a line there, you are just adding a new spur there. If you splice, you could either come off with a new spur, or splice and make the line longer so it will reach the farthest point under your seats and then loop it back to the other end, keeping one continuous loop instead of a spur. Either way will work. If you splice though, you'll want to put the splice in a junction box. You don't "have to"? You can just tape the ends together and it will function just fine, but for a little more ounce of safety (and the right way), use a junction box.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:19 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

I have seen up to Three sets of Romex pushed into that style of outlet. So you could simply add another run of Romex to the new outlet.

Just be aware of the total amps for that entire circuit.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 11:35 AM   #14
ChuckS

The outlet in your image is a standard run of the mill RV "Self Contained" 120 VAC wall outlet.. Self contained means all the electrical connections are contained within the socket assy thus no need for seperate work box to install the outlet into.

The downside is the outlet can sometimes have issues because of POOR installation .. meaning the insulation didnt get stripped all the way off when the wires were pressed down inside..

A SPECIAL TOOL is used during assy that should ensure the electical connections are all good.. it depends on the huy using the tool

Your Inverter being tied into that outlet presents a few things you might not have considered.

Such as:
1. What is the amperage rating of your inverter output for 120 VAC
2. Does your inverter have auto transfer?

I used a 2021 Cougar for reference on what I think you might have installed since you did not indicate year of the Cougar..

Image from Trekwood for "West Coast" version of inverter.

Link to your inverter Specs and operation.. Its a 1200 watt inverter and the specs indicate it will supply 10 Amps at 120 Volts AC when operated from 12 volt DC source.

It also has an auto transfer relay that will handle 30 amps when on shore power..

The romex you have in the image is rated at 15 Amps maximum current draw

If I were gonna wire another outlet in and was considering piggy backing into the current outlet then I would toss that outlet and install a residential grade outlet in a box in the wall and then tie another piece of romex and wire in a new outlet and box..

If the outlet you are wanting to add in is gonna be INSIDE then all you will need to do is make sure you have room for an outlet box in the wall..

Normal household outlet boxes in many places in an RV are too deep and wont be bale to fit... Hence that is why the "self contained RV Style" outlet is used through out...

IF this added outlet is going to be installed so that it is exposed to the outside elements then you need to consider how you are going to make this a GFCI circuit..

That may present a different set of issues with regards to the Inverter operation... or it might not..

Here is the Link to the inverter I "Think" you have...
https://www.donrowe.com/xantrex-806-...hoCVHEQAvD_BwE

Might be more info then you need but at least you are now aware.. There is a right way to wire in a new outlet and a "bush league" way... don't do the bush league way or you will have problems down the road you dont need
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (268).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	39237  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 11:45 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Rather than taping into the actual existing outlet, you can always splice the wire itself and run a new spur off it. You already have two sets of wires going into that outlet. If you add a line there, you are just adding a new spur there. If you splice, you could either come off with a new spur, or splice and make the line longer so it will reach the farthest point under your seats and then loop it back to the other end, keeping one continuous loop instead of a spur. Either way will work. If you splice though, you'll want to put the splice in a junction box. You don't "have to"? You can just tape the ends together and it will function just fine, but for a little more ounce of safety (and the right way), use a junction box.
Yes you do absolutly have to secure a 120 vac wire connection in an electric box. A splice box serves 2 main functions, first is to secure the wires so they don’t get pulled apart and secondly if the wirenuts were to come off and the wires touch the sparks are contained.

The idea of making a "loop" is just a waste of wire. There is no advantage to breaking out the circuit to insert an outlet vs adding a branch to an outlet and having that branch terminated.
Old 04-14-2022, 04:55 AM   #16
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

If I were gonna wire another outlet in and was considering piggy backing into the current outlet then I would toss that outlet and install a residential grade outlet in a box in the wall and then tie another piece of romex and wire in a new outlet and box..

This is exactly what I did with my first trailer. Actually, it was a pop-up. There was an electric line that ran under the booth dinette seat and I simply added a residential receptacle into the box part of the seat. There was plenty of room, unlike the very thin walls of all our RV's. The only difference was, I did not have an inverter to deal with.

I don't think adding an extension receptacle to a line on an inverter will affect anything, provided the combined items plugged into that line don't exceed the capacity of the inverter. If only one items is plugged in, it doesn't matter where it's plugged in, the electric draw will be the same anywhere on that leg.
Old 04-14-2022, 06:13 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

The way I read the op it sounded like he has an outlet in the base of the dinette and wants to add one in the base closet to the couch.

Simple project. All power removed take out tha outlet and box and pitch it. Instll a new box, in a flimsy cabinet I prefer to use a standard work box and reinfoece it to the frame top and botton. Connect 14 ga Romex to that box and run it along the wood frame wirh appropriate fastners. Don't run it on the floor if that space is used for storage. Install the new box & outlet and prpoerly wire it. Then restore akk power, test the outlets and enjoy!
Old 04-22-2022, 05:11 PM   #18
Nitehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ships View Post
Attachment 39234

Help
Wow those receptacles are sort of neat looking might be a little dangerous with all the shaking a rattling that goes on in a trailer . I have a 2018 outback and have played with my receptacles and added a few they did not look like those in the picture . they were not household ones but they do not look like that
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote