Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2022, 05:06 PM   #1
copperhead

Voltage is low on wires for gas detector

Hello all!

I recently bought a replacement propane leak detector as the stock one had reached EoL. But after switching it out the new one didn't power on. So I tried switching back to the old one to see if I could get it to beep but it was dead too.

So now I've checked with a multimeter and am getting only 8.9v there when both devices want 12v. Did I knock something loose when handling the wires? or what's my best bet here?
copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 06:22 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Before you panic, check the voltage at the battery(s).

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:47 AM   #3
GHen

Yes, sounds like house batteries are low…very low.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 10:24 AM   #4
travelin texans

Most likely the issue with the 1st detector was/is the battery. Those detectors will also chime as a low battery warning as well as what they were deigned for.
If you didn't/don't physically disconnect the batteries while rv is stored the batteries will be dead in as little as a week due to the factory disconnect does not totally disconnect all parasitic drains.
If you have the typical dealer installed hybrid marine cranking type batteries rather than a deep cycle then at that low voltage your batteries will most likely not hold a charge from here on out.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:31 PM   #5
copperhead

hello and thank you for replies. so I’ve checked the voltage at the battery terminal and its reading 13v, that’s while plugged into shore power, haven’t disconnected that and measured but I will when I get home.

also I did pull out one of my LEDs and checked the voltage there and they are getting the correct 12.something
copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 03:00 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperhead View Post
hello and thank you for replies. so I’ve checked the voltage at the battery terminal and its reading 13v, that’s while plugged into shore power, haven’t disconnected that and measured but I will when I get home.

also I did pull out one of my LEDs and checked the voltage there and they are getting the correct 12.something
Checking battery voltage while plugged into shorepower will reflect the voltage the converter is producing. With that said, the question is did you check the voltage supplying to co monitor while plugged into shore power? That circuit should be providing the same voltage as the battery .

You cannot compare the voltage at the monitor while not plugged in, with the battery while the unit is plugged into shore power. If the voltage at the CO detector is much lower than the battery while under the same conditions then there is a problem. It could be loose connection or a corroded connection. My first step would be to tank a length of wire sufficiant to reach the area of the CO detector's location and connect it to a known good ground. I would go to the electric panel and connect it to the dc negative bus. IMeasure between the dc positive and the now known ground. If the voltage then matches the battery then the negative wire is the issue.

If that simple diagnostic still results in a low voltage reading then reverse the proceedure. Connect your temporary wire to the dc positive and read the voltage from that to the original negative wire that the detector was connected to. If you then have full voltage then the issue is in the positive wire.

Whichever wire is the culprit is the wire that's causing the voltage drop. That would require chasing down the wires to find a bad connection. I hope this makes sense.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas