Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2021, 09:05 AM   #1
Oldgreymayor

Sanitizing water system

I have a 2018 3721rl. How would you put the chlorine in the fresh water tank when there is no inlet? Through the he hose?
Oldgreymayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 09:10 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

You could pour it through the fresh tank vent, which is probably near the fill connection. Or you could fill the hose, and then hook it up.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 09:29 AM   #3
ChuckS

Once you get the bleach into the fresh water tank and run it through all fixtures then let the mix sit for at least 24 hours to sanitize... If you just run it through and then run fresh water you are wasting your time.. Give the Free Chlorine time to do its job to kill any bacteria in the water lines, water pump, tank, etc.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:40 PM   #4
dutchmensport

You will pump the sanitizing solution the same way you'd winterize with pink stuff. Connect a hose at the water pump and insert the other hose into a bucket of your sanitizing solution.

However, when sanitizing you will also want to get the fresh water tank too. So, if you have a gravity fill fresh water tank, then simply use a funnel and pour the bleach directly into your fresh water tank. Then fill the rest of the tank with water, like you'd normally fill it. Fill it till it over flows the overflow vent. Now turn on your on board water pump and pump water through all your lines, hot and cold. You may want to by pass your water heater when you do this.

If you want to sanitize the water heater, then drain the water heater first. Then fill it will the sanitizing solution from the fresh water on-board tank.

Let everything sit for about 24 hours and then flush everything out, exactly like you'd do when you un-winterize. Flush the lines until you smell no more bleach.
Old 12-24-2021, 12:49 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
You will pump the sanitizing solution the same way you'd winterize with pink stuff. Connect a hose at the water pump and insert the other hose into a bucket of your sanitizing solution.

However, when sanitizing you will also want to get the fresh water tank too. So, if you have a gravity fill fresh water tank, then simply use a funnel and pour the bleach directly into your fresh water tank. Then fill the rest of the tank with water, like you'd normally fill it. Fill it till it over flows the overflow vent. Now turn on your on board water pump and pump water through all your lines, hot and cold. You may want to by pass your water heater when you do this.

If you want to sanitize the water heater, then drain the water heater first. Then fill it will the sanitizing solution from the fresh water on-board tank.

Let everything sit for about 24 hours and then flush everything out, exactly like you'd do when you un-winterize. Flush the lines until you smell no more bleach.
This method works IF you have a gravity fill port for the fresh water tank. The OP, as I, DO NOT have a gravity fill.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:57 PM   #6
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
This method works IF you have a gravity fill port for the fresh water tank. The OP, as I, DO NOT have a gravity fill.
Pump it the same way you'd winterize with pink-stuff, or use an external pump:

Old 12-24-2021, 01:57 PM   #7
ChuckS

The issue with using the winterize section to draw in the mixture of bleach and water would be ok except for two issues:
1. No sanitize solution would go into fresh water tank nor would it sanitize the fresh water draw line from the water tank thru the water pump

Since I too have NO gravity feed I do this to sanitize
.. pull anode out and drain and rinse out the tank
.. reinstall anode
.. pour one to two cups of bleach into hose and connect to dirty water point
.. switch to fill fresh water tank
.. fill tank about 1/3 to 1/4
.. run water pump with hot water faucet open to fill water heater and force sanitize solution thru water heater, it’s check valve and lines
.. run cold spigots, toilet, etc till I smell bleach from each

Let it sit for 24 hours then remove anode and drain water heater, dra8n fresh water tank, open low point drains

Fill fresh water tank about 1/2 full and run and let it purge water heater, lines. etc

I have also taken a few samples over the last eight years since I am a licensed community water operator and have the samples tested by DEQ for coliform, etc.. never failed a test in eight years with the RV

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:00 PM   #8
Oldgreymayor

Smell still there

I’ve sanitized my fresh water system three times now to get rid of the smell. It is now isolated to the kitchen faucet and hot water only. No other faucet in my camper. It only smells for a few seconds and then doesn’t. Could it be the faucet itself? It has never smelled anywhere else.
Oldgreymayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:34 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgreymayor View Post
I’ve sanitized my fresh water system three times now to get rid of the smell. It is now isolated to the kitchen faucet and hot water only. No other faucet in my camper. It only smells for a few seconds and then doesn’t. Could it be the faucet itself? It has never smelled anywhere else.
It's your water heater. Remove the anode (or drain plug) and flush it out. You can get a flush wand for under $10 that makes it easy.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water