Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2021, 07:44 PM   #1
Sawtooth

Never to old!

Hello to RV'rs.
Been camping out before there were 5th-wheel campers or even many pull camper trailers..just tents and campfires for sleeping & cooking.

I'm closer to 90 than 80 yrs, but still young at heart.

52 years ago, with a wife and 4 young boys I bought a 22' Prowler trailer. Twin beds, a table bed, and a fold down couch met our sleeping needs. Except for the two youngest kids who delighted playing musical beds for their wrestling venues.

The past 50 years I've had two pickup Campers, a 10' Kit and a 9 1/2' Lance. And tents for many years until the boys finally got their own trucks. My wife and I relished the new space.

My wife, ten years younger than me passed in '09. I continued the fishing and hunting camps with the Kit and Lance until three weeks ago when I finally got tired of climbing up 5 feet to get in bed. So I bought a pull Camper. A 2014 Hideout 23 RBWE.

I pull the Hideout with a 3/4 ton 5 speed diesel powered 1993 Dodge. It once carried the Kit and the Lance. A very strong Dodge with 248,000 miles on the 12 valve Cummins engine. Many of these so-called 1st generation Cummins run in excess of 350-400 K, so I am confident it will pull the Hideout just fine. As long as my knees hold out with all the shifting of the 5 speed transmission.

Am happy to read the Posts here on Keystone, expecting this old dog can learn some new tricks.
Cheers!
Sawtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:46 PM   #2
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
Hello to RV'rs.
Been camping out before there were 5th-wheel campers or even many pull camper trailers..just tents and campfires for sleeping & cooking.

52 years ago, with a wife and 4 young boys I bought a 22' Prowler trailer. Twin beds, a table bed, and a fold down couch met our sleeping needs. Except for the two youngest kids who delighted playing musical beds for their wrestling venues.

The past 50 years I've had two pickup Campers, a 10' Kit and a 9 1/2' Lance. And tents for many years until the boys finally got their own trucks. My wife and I relished the new space.

My wife, ten years younger than me passed in '09. I continued the fishing and hunting camps with the Kit and Lance until three weeks ago when I finally got tired of climbing up 5 feet to get in bed. So I bought a pull Camper. A 2014 Hideout 23 RBWE.

I pull the Hideout with a 3/4 ton 5 speed diesel powered 1993 Dodge. It once carried the Kit and the Lance. A very strong Dodge with 248,000 miles on the 12 valve Cummins engine. Many of these so-called 1st generation Cummins run in excess of 350-400 K, so I am confident it will pull the Hideout just fine. As long as my knees hold out with all the shifting of the 5 speed transmission.

Am happy to read the Posts here on Keystone, expecting this old dog can learn some new tricks.
Cheers!
Hello Sawtooth, and welcome from Arizona! Glad you're able to still get out and enjoy camping... though in our case it's more like Glamping. LOL
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:37 AM   #3
Roper46

Welcome from south Georgia. I also had a Lance slide in on a GMC 3/4 ton back in the 90s when I was stationed in Idaho. I was in Idaho from '83 to '99 then moved back to Georgia where I was born & raised.

Used to pull a three horse slant trailer and go boondocking in the eastern Oregon mountains with friends and the horses. Those were some very good times.

I'm now approaching my latter sixties and as others state feel as though I glamp more than camp. But I love my 5er and how it pulls. Had a 35' Cougar bumper pull before the 5er.

Safe travels to you and yours. And enjoy the out there.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:44 AM   #4
Canonman

Welcome!! from Utah. Glad to know you're still getting with it and enjoying the RV life.
You're going to love the difference in parking your travel trailer and being able to go out and use your truck to see the sights unencumbered with the camper.
Hope you have many years of camping enjoyment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape Kiwanda Sunset.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	36839  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:53 AM   #5
German Shepherd Guy

Looks like a nice trailer. That truck can easily handle the load.

This site is a great place to find solutions to RV problems.

Again, welcome.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:07 AM   #6
dutchmensport

Welcome and congrats on getting the Hideout! I hope you have many successful and fun adventures with it.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:19 AM   #7
Gary R.

Howdy and welcome to the forum!

Like many members, we began RV'ing with a tent, moved to a Lance pickup camper, then to a Jayco travel trailer, and finally an Alpine fiver.

Take care, and have fun with your Hideout!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 05:59 AM   #8
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
Hello to RV'rs.

Cheers!
Greetings and welcome from Eastern, PA. You sir are an inspiration for us youngins! (I'm a little North of 65!)
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:39 AM   #9
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN. Good truck. I miss my first Gen.