Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2021, 06:56 AM   #1
Andrew262BH

did i destroy something (water heater related)

hello-new to the forum and brand new owner of a 2021 Hideout 262 bh

- i am having a mini panic attack that maybe i messed up while breaking down from camping this last weekend-

when closing up everything- i turned off the propane tanks but forgot to flip the switch for the water heater in the cabin-

we did not discover this until we unhooked aback at the house so it was on for about 3 hours

i understand the the igniter runs off the 12v and will trip after a # of unsuccessful lighting cycles (is this correct?)

what should I do next? can i just reset (how is that done)

thanks
Andrew262BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:53 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Easy "fix" for your "issue" (it's not usually a problem)...

First, make sure there's water in the water heater. Push the two black rubber discs on the water heater face. They should be marked "reset".

Then turn on the propane and go inside. Turn on the propane side of the water heater and you should hear it "click and fire"...

Once that is "up and running", turn it off after a about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Then turn on the electric side, let it operate for about 30 minutes or so and verify that you have hot water at the faucets. If you do, you've solved your "issue"....

Again, it's probably not a "problem"....

If your results are anything different from what I described, post what you find and we can go from there.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:02 AM   #3
Texas Steve

If you have turned off the propane tanks, you should not have a problem. Just turn off the water heater switch so you are not using 12v battery power. The next trip, make sure there is water in the tank prior to starting up. It may cycle a couple of times before igniting.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:28 PM   #4
bobbecky

We rarely use propane to heat water, except when we need more hot water than just the electric element can provide, or are boondocking. When we pack up to move to a new location, we never turn off the inside switch for the electric side of the water heater. We get to our new location, do all our setup chores, and when done power is restored to the rig and the water heater is again heating water. Leaving the 120 volt switch on doesn't hurt anything.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:35 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
We rarely use propane to heat water, except when we need more hot water than just the electric element can provide, or are boondocking. When we pack up to move to a new location, we never turn off the inside switch for the electric side of the water heater. We get to our new location, do all our setup chores, and when done power is restored to the rig and the water heater is again heating water. Leaving the 120 volt switch on doesn't hurt anything.

Bob, Something to consider... a Hideout may be 30A AC service and if the heating element is used exclusively, that eats into the power going to other appliances and the main breaker may trip quite a bit. Ask me how I know. We use propane to heat our water almost exclusively except when camping when the A/C is not going to be used. I have also wired my microwave to an outlet directly on the read of my camper next to the main power cord and do plug my microwave into a 15A outlet on the pedestal. If I had a 50A camper, this would not be the case and I might suggest running the water heater on electric exclusively.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater