Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2021, 09:00 AM   #1
TMac82

Battery Cutoff Switch

Purchased a used Passport a few months ago and getting ready to use. Noticed both batteries are dead. They were replaced by the service center where we purchased the trailer. i have been reading some of the posts on this forum and ii would appreciate any help on locating the battery cutoff switch. I am charging the batteries at home now and will take them back to the trailer tomorrow.
TMac82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:47 AM   #2
cchristo

I don't have a Passport, but since you haven't received a response from anyone yet...
Mine is located inside the front pass through storage compartment on the the right side of the front wall.

As a side not, I can't believe that the designer thought it was a good idea to place it there. It sticks out 2-3" and is extremely exposed to damage from anything that happens to shift or slide in the storage compartment.
cchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:00 AM   #3
travelin texans

If by chance it does have a battery disconnect switch it does not prevent the batteries from going dead while being stored. Disconnecting the negative cable from the battery going directly to the frame, or add a disconnect to that cable, is the only sure way to keep the batteries from dying. There are several items connected directly to the batteries bypassing the switch.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 02:57 PM   #4
notanlines

What Danny^^^^said. Don't worry your head about the factory cut off. Buy your own and install it. (And make sure the dealer gave you two NEW batteries)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:01 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Not sure what year your passport is, but Keystone didn't start installing battery cutoff switches in all models until sometime around 2017 or 2018, so depending on your trailer year and model, it may not have a factory installed BCO switch.

As Jim said, the factory switch doesn't disconnect everything, so you can/will still have dead batteries even using that switch. Install your own on either the positive or negative battery cable to assure TOTAL battery disconnect. Until you buy the switch, simply disconnect the battery (either cable) when you store the trailer if it's disconnected from shore power.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:17 PM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If by chance it does have a battery disconnect switch it does not prevent the batteries from going dead while being stored. Disconnecting the negative cable from the battery going directly to the frame, or add a disconnect to that cable, is the only sure way to keep the batteries from dying. There are several items connected directly to the batteries bypassing the switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
What Danny^^^^said. Don't worry your head about the factory cut off. Buy your own and install it. (And make sure the dealer gave you two NEW batteries)
I with Danny and Jim, install your own shutoff switch at the ground line to the frame. Before we started full timing, we would come back from a trip, flip that disconnect (Mine), and come back in two months to fully charged batteries.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery