Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2021, 07:42 AM   #21
rlh1957

With all the electronics & anti-thzeft gizmos we have now in the urban areas, how much has it helped?
Theft still occurs, break-in’s still are common & theft of belongings happens.
It’s expanding to previously calm areas like distant suburbs, state parks & campgrounds. Anywhere a collection of possible goods for theft is concentrated and suspected easy targets.

As we are seeing increased RV sales, camping and growth of campers with it comes more crime, more deviants intent on theft for profit.
It’s not necessarily that urban theft has followed the campers. Some of it is the “campers or followers” among us. So sad to be friendly to your neighbor while thinking they may be the eyes casing the camp for the rest of the gang.
If they camp there, they are on the inside and don’t need to steal and get away… just hide it in their rig till time to leave.

We are at a time when everything and everyone can be suspect.

In the end, all you can do is be aware, remove obvious temptations and use anti-theft measures that really just keep the regular folks honest. A criminal will not be deterred and all locks can be defeated.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:11 AM   #22
precab

bolt cutter proof chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy75 View Post
I use cables instead of chains. Bolt cutters can take out a chain fairly quickly, but will choke on cables. Most thieves don't carry a cable cutter...
Having to secure $7k mountain bikes, Pewag chains are actually harder than bolt cutters if you do some youtube research. Well worth it, granted if they have the time and no noise restrictions they can still angle iron grind away.

https://www.uscargocontrol.com/colle...Chain%20-%20MB
precab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:04 PM   #23
tanglemoose

Where did you find Locks? Easy to replace?
tanglemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:49 PM   #24
Gunny Mike

We have three electric bikes that I worry about when we leave the campsite and at night. We wanted a trailer with a garage for them but didn't like loosing out on living space. Since lock weight isn't an issue with me I put on multiple premium locks on each bike. Have 4 bolt locks that include 2 Kryptonite locks, 2 bulldogs, and 2 foldy locks. I've been a victim too many times so I kind of go overboard. No lock can stand up to angle grinder, but im hoping all of my steel will outlast the battery on the grinder. Looking at adding a Kryptonite chain lock to my collection so I can lock them up to the trailer frame. Any suggestions for locking up 3400 watt generator to the rear bumper?
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:55 AM   #25
Mr Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I’ve been using these locks lately..didn’t pay this much for them..I bought a pack of two for around $40 a year or two ago
Had one of them at my storage unit. Lost the keys and I was able to drill it out in less than 5 minutes.