Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2021, 01:15 PM   #1
ErickW

Residential replacement for Norcold 1210?

This has probably been asked and answered many many times, but I can't seem to find anything when I search for it.

2011 Montana 3655RE with a Norcold 1210 fridge (4 door). It has gotten to the point that it's not cooling properly, and I just want to put in a residential unit. The dimensions are 33" width, 25 1/2" depth, and 64" height. We don't boondock, so I'm sure while going down the road I can connect a good inverter to my batteries to keep it running until we hookup at a campground. Any other owners replace their fridge, and what did you replace it with?

Any comments, help, precautions to take will be very appreciated!!
ErickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:26 PM   #2
bcintx

You may have a couple of problems:

Is the door big enough to remove the current refrigerator and install a new one? If not it will have to go out a window or the slide will have to be completely removed.

Looking on Lowes and Home Depot web sites there are numerous counter depth 33 inch wide refrigerators. In fact this one is what came in my 2021 Cougar. ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/Haier-16...3BGS/300859002 ) The problem you are going to have is the height. Can you alter/remove the cabinets above or below the current refrigerator?

Make sure that if you do get the residential unit installed that you have some way to keep it stationary. Mine has brackets along the sides and a piece of metal that crosses the front between the refrigerator and freezer doors to keep the unit from falling out/over. You might want to visit a dealership and tour a couple of models that have residential fridges to see how they anchor them.
2021 Cougar 316rls
bcintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:09 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Whatever brands or models of residential refrigerator you consider, one of the FIRST things you need to do is measure and then remeasure the refrigerator box to make sure it will fit through the RV entry door. It's a given you'll need to remove the doors from the refrigerator to get it into the trailer, but some are too wide, even with the doors removed, to fit through the RV entry door.

On those models, you'll have a choice to make, Remove a large RV window and "muscle the refrigerator into the trailer through that hole or return the refrigerator for a smaller one.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:11 PM   #4
nied

Have you looked at JC Refrigeration? They have a compressor conversion system for the 1210.
nied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:21 AM   #5
ErickW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcintx View Post
You may have a couple of problems:

Is the door big enough to remove the current refrigerator and install a new one? If not it will have to go out a window or the slide will have to be completely removed.

Looking on Lowes and Home Depot web sites there are numerous counter depth 33 inch wide refrigerators. The problem you are going to have is the height. Can you alter/remove the cabinets above or below the current refrigerator?

My entry door is 28", so if I find the right depth fridge then I shouldn't have any problems there. I don't have any cabinets above or below the current fridge, so I may be able to make some mods to make something like that fit. Not really looking to spend that kind of money on a refrigerator, but, what do you do???
ErickW is offline   Reply With Quote