Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2021, 07:00 AM   #1
mcomeaux

Generator Question

Sold toy hauler and purchased a 41' with 2 15K a/c. Not interested in running both at same time and concerned about weight "Back Issue's". I see the Champion 3500 Dual Fuel. Would this be enough to run (1) A/C and Tv in outage? Reefer can go on gas for period. Where we stay at in winter we get occasional outages but not for any long periods. I see the 3500 has the 30 amp plug and I can go adapter to my 50 amp? Should a person use their surge protector on generator? Any help be appreciated...
Old 07-31-2021, 07:05 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Most 3500 watt generators are 100+ pounds, most in the 125 pound range, then add fuel and it's even heavier. Loading/unloading that from a truck or trailer basement storage is not a "bad back issues" event....

You might consider a couple of 2000 or 2200 watt generators and a parallel kit. They weigh around 40 pounds, 45 with fuel and are much easier to handle. Output with the parallel kit is equal to or slightly more watts than the single 3500 watt generator and gives you the versatility to have 120 VAC when the Air Conditioner is not required by only using one smaller generator (less fuel used/less noise produced).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:28 AM   #3
mcomeaux

Appreciate the input. I borrowed a friends Yamaha Inverter Generator which is a 2800 and with my surge protector plugged into it my A/C refuses to start. I attempted to start just the a/c with nothing else on. Is the surge protector not allowing it to start? I figured a 2800 would be enough. Again I was only trying to start (1) a/c..
Old 07-31-2021, 08:21 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The Yamaha 2800 EFI generator has a 2800 watt "surge output" and a 2500 watt "continuous output".

2500 watts is 20.8 amps at 120 VAC.

When you borrowed your friend's Yamaha, did you also turn off your converter/charger circuit breaker? It's labeled "REC/CON" on the panel. If it was on, then you had a "hidden amp eater" still on. When you "turn off everything else in the trailer" at the appliance, your converter/charger is still operating and drawing somewhere around 5 amps. So that 21 amp generator output is really closer to 16 amps for the air conditioner.... That's typically a "bare minimum when trying to start in cool weather and too much demand for a "hot compressor start"... So, no surprise that generator won't run your A/C on a warm day with the "hidden draws on the electrical system"...

Dometic recommends a minimum 3500 watt generator for one air conditioner and 5500 for a trailer with two air conditioners. Most 3500 watt generators have a continuous rated output of around 3200 watts. That's around 26.5 amps at 120 VAC. That would give you the 5 amps for the converter charger and still have the 20 amps to run one rooftop unit. THAT IS MINIMUM WATTS to keep the system running without bogging down the generator and why Dometic chose that 3500 watt recommendation. Go up to 4000' altitude or higher and even that won't work reliably.

A Champion 2000 watt generator has a continuous rating of 1600 watts, two in parallel will give you 3200 watts which is enough to run one unit with the converter/charger.

A Champion 2500 watt (which weighs about 39 pounds) will give you 1850 watts, and in parallel, 3700 watts of available continuous power. They are "much easier on a bad back" than a 125 pound, bulky, hard to manage 3500 watt "box".....

I'm not suggesting you buy Champion equipment. Buy what you prefer, I used them as an example for wattage rating purposes. That said, my Champions are 7 years old and still working perfectly.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:14 PM   #5
bearcat77

I have the dual fuel Champion 3500. I can’t speak to running the AC. I’ve only tested it out for a few minutes running slide outs and lights. I will say I get it in and out of the truck by myself, but it takes just about everything I’ve got. A second person would make it a piece of cake. The reason I got the Champion was that it was available on one of our local auction websites. I was able to pick it up for $470 new in sealed original packaging. My buddy did the same, and I ordered the 50amp parallel kit, so we now have 50amp capability if one of us suffers a power outage at home or a pedestal issue at a campground. Having the capability to run on propane was a bonus. Adding a soft start device to the camper AC’s is on my to do list so running one AC at least will be no problem.
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:31 PM   #6
dutchmensport

I have 2 Cummings Onan P4500i Inverter Generators I run in parallel and get full 50 amp service and can run both air conditioners plus absolutely every thing else in my camper. They are not cheap and they are over 100 pounds dry weight. Add 3.4 gallons of gas, and the oil, and they are heavy. Did I say, they are not cheap either. But they work marvelous. And still portable enough I can use them for other needs, than the camper, and versatile enough I can take them with us when we camp (if we need them). And I will be the first to say, they are NOT for everybody ... did I say .... costly and heavy? Anyway ....

These are probably one of the best anyone can buy, but I cannot run my portable Progressive EMS with them. I get a ground error and the Progressive never clicks to turn the power on for the camper. But, my Onan's have their own built in protection and their own circuitry to shut power off to the camper, even though the generators will will continue to run. So, really, no need for the EMS when running the generators.

Did I say ... not cheap and heavy! ... not for everyone! But I love them, and glad I paid the price!
Old 07-31-2021, 05:53 PM   #7
BubbaShoots

I’m old and have back issues. I use two Honda 2200 generators and connect parallel. The companion model has a 30 amp outlet. They each weigh 48 lbs. and I find I can manage them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95F3C104-B260-483F-A671-6AAD46161F5D.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	35018   Click image for larger version

Name:	E6B0FA0C-178E-4298-B4EA-228C2E56BA81.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	35019  
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:14 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I have 2 Cummings Onan P4500i Inverter Generators I run in parallel and get full 50 amp service and can run both air conditioners plus absolutely every thing else in my camper. They are not cheap and they are over 100 pounds dry weight. Add 3.4 gallons of gas, and the oil, and they are heavy. Did I say, they are not cheap either. But they work marvelous. And still portable enough I can use them for other needs, than the camper, and versatile enough I can take them with us when we camp (if we need them). And I will be the first to say, they are NOT for everybody ... did I say .... costly and heavy? Anyway ....

These are probably one of the best anyone can buy, but I cannot run my portable Progressive EMS with them. I get a ground error and the Progressive never clicks to turn the power on for the camper. But, my Onan's have their own built in protection and their own circuitry to shut power off to the camper, even though the generators will will continue to run. So, really, no need for the EMS when running the generators.

Did I say ... not cheap and heavy! ... not for everyone! But I love them, and glad I paid the price!
Sounds like the same issue using Honda gens. There is a procedure to “bond the ground” I think that fixes that.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator