Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2021, 09:20 AM   #1
CarGuy

Awning Gas Strut Replacement

When I tried to open my Dometic 9100 powered awning it did not lift all the way. I pushed up on the arms and it would go up but the gas struts were too weak to lift it. This is on a 2012 Keystone Passport 280BH I have had for about 3 years. The awning fabric is in rough shape so I planned to replace it so I opened the awning to check numbers and size so as to get the correct fabric. This was when I noticed the weak struts so I started last August looking for replacements. After a bit of research I determined the strut part number from Dometic is 3108392.139. An online search and a call to my local RV dealer showed they were not available so I contacted Dometic directly who told me I would need to buy the complete arms for the awning since the struts were not available and would not be available. More research found the part number was changed to 3310555.010 but still could find none in stock. Not wanting to spend whatever it would cost to replace the arm assemblies I gave up and started looking at free standing shelters, but last month I signed up for the iRV forum and saw a post where an eBay site made their own gas struts, it even crossed over the numbers so I knew they were the same as mine. I ordered 2 from strut-your-stuff-here for $26.99 each (plus $15.99 Shipping). They arrived in about a week. Today I got a chance to install them and I wanted to let everyone know the procedure I used which made the job very easy.
Start by opening the awning fully and tighten the knobs on the lower arms as tight as you can so the arms don’t come down when you remove the struts.

The photo shows the tools I used, small pliers, pick, plastic wedge and I started with the adjustable wrench to pry the strut down to remove the pin but found the plastic wedge worked better.

First I used the pick to remove the spring retainer for the pin at the top of the strut. Don’t bend the legs on the clip just slightly flex one then the adjacent leg then another. Working your way around the clip carefully, it will come off without damaging it.

There are nylon spacers on the pin that will pop off with your fingers, they are split on one side.

Next I slid the wedge between the arm and the top of the strut until the pin was loose enough to remove. After removing the pin just swing the strut toward the wall and unscrew it from the lower pivot. Remove the upper eye from the strut and transfer it to the new strut.

Screw the new strut into the lower pivot, bring the strut into the upper arm and use the plastic wedge to protect the arm while you slide it toward the pin hole. With the wedge positioned correctly you can adjust the upper eye on the strut to align with the pin hole. Slide the pin in the hole and install the retainer clip and the nylon spacers.

This method allowed me to replace the struts in about 10 min each, much easier than I expected it to be. I hope this will help others to try this without too much apprehension.

Sorry photos are sideways, I tried rotating them on my computer but they still uploaded sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210122_155534981.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	31584   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210122_160023231.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	31585   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210122_160123249.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	31586   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210122_160338591.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	31587  
Old 01-22-2021, 11:12 AM   #2
bobbecky

None of the photos are available with those links.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:04 PM   #3
Madstruts

Strut Replacement

Hi there - same problem! Need a replacement for the Dometic 3108393.139 which became 3310555.010

Which website did you find the third party struts and did they fit the same way without modifying the strut itself?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Madstruts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:28 AM   #4
CarGuy

Ebay site strut-your-stuff-here is where I found the struts, they fit perfectly after you exchange the screw off ends.

Tags
awning, gas