Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2021, 09:54 AM   #1
crk112

Getting the axles aligned

While on my last trip I noticed the rear tires are worn unevenly on the insides... the ones on the front axle are fine. (photo is of the right rear tire which is worse than the left)

Now that I'm aware of it, it's easy to spot the tires are cambered in at the top, especially in the side mirrors during turns (I'd always thought this was natural movement of the axles in a turn ). Additionally we measured and got 1/2 inch longer distance between the hubs on the right than on the left so it seems to be twisted slightly to the right.

I don't weigh it every single trip, but every time I have weighed it while loaded the tandems have always come in under 7000 (often quite a bit lower, just depending on the mission). So I think I've done a good job at not overloading it.

Starting to put things together in my mind... long story short, a couple of years ago while it was in storage in a shared space, someone that we know to be "shady" moved it without my knowing, despite my using a tongue lock. They called me afterward and told me the axle looked twisted as if backed in at a curve, so they "did me a service" and pulled it forward and back a few times to straighten it out. They never have fully admitted what method they used to do this.

In talking with some "experienced" family members (some in trucking, some in towing, some in trailer repair), we now suspect those that moved my TT jacked up the entire trailer by just the rear axle under each u-joint, used an engine hoist to raise the tongue, and then pushed the entire thing to its left about 2 feet on the floor jack wheels to put it where they wanted it. Now I realize their phone call to me was likely a CYA move once they realized THEY had bent the axle.

I have an appointment with a trailer shop to have both axles checked and, if able, "mechanically aligned". Soonest available is middle of September, so it looks like my season is done . Cost is $160 per axle, plus parts if needed. Sure hoping the axle doesn't require replacement.

They're Dexter 3500-lb standard axles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64848896385__493652A4-E3DE-46B0-9F08-FA1A11FD09CC.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	34903  
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:02 PM   #2
FlyingAroundRV

I have had the same thing happen on my 2018 Outback 272UFL but no one has moved our trailer like yours. We also have the 3500# axles and again, our rear axle is the bent one.
I'm not sure if those axles may have had a manufacturing fault. I'm thinking to just order a new axle from Dexter and replace it myself as it's not a difficult job. The hard part I think will be getting the axle from Dexter as the last time I spoke to them to get information, they didn't much want to deal with me and only supplied me with the information very hesitantly.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:32 PM   #3
Javi

If you are happy with the trailer you might look into upgrading axles and brakes here.
https://performancetrailerbraking.co...ent-installers
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:17 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^Javi beat me to it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:28 AM   #5
crk112

I didn't even realize upgrading axles was an option!

But we're hoping to sell this TT in the next year or so and will likely get a Class C. This was our entry-level unit and it's been great and we've learned a lot about what we like and don't like, and what fits with our missions (which are most commonly horse show weekends).
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle