Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2021, 07:32 AM   #21
vulcanwayne

Just do a search for Carolina squat truck and you will see the trucks they want regulated. NC inspection is annual which means I can modify my truck and drive it up to a year before next inspection. The new law would I believe result on LEO being able to issue up to 3 misdemeanor citations with maybe (not sure) increasing fines. There are stiffer penalties after 3 citations but not sure what they are. These truck are ridiculous and in my opinion unsafe to drive. Not only are the headlights affected the ability to see pedestrians and vehicles in front is dramatically reduced.
vulcanwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 12:18 PM   #22
CaptnJohn

NC does have annual inspection. They check the lights and headlight aiming is part of it. Takes about 5 minutes to inspect my F350 dually. After a certain age they do an emissions check on gas engines, not diesels.
I’d chuckle when I saw a truck jacked like that. Then a few weeks ago saw one with the wheel sideways on the road and that got a hardy laugh.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:23 AM   #23
RandallCothren

Trouble for overloaded trucks

I'm in North Carolina native and I guess they just decided to make a law that keeps people from doing the crazy up in the front down the back look.

It gives him a reason to pull you over and then they can have their way with you.

It seems weirdly paranoid that did you think that when towing they really care what you're position your truck is in.
What they really want is to see your birth certificate if you got to go to the bathroom

Although the law is stupid it's not about trying to arrest people who are towing a camper it's about trying to find somebody who's got some weed or something because they figure if you got your car looking like that you're up to no good.
All I'm getting out of this is that if your truck is that overloaded that it looks all wacky doodle maybe you're destroying your truck and that should be your focus.

If they pulled you over in North Carolina for being overloaded it wouldn't be because of that really stupid law it will because they were afraid that you're going to destroy your truck and be sideways out in the interstate and kill everybody.
RandallCothren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:51 AM   #24
notanlines

I believe what Randall so eloquently stated has some truth to it. Conformity is what 'they' are after, not safety. I have a close friend here in Florida who has an absolute seizure every time we see a jacked truck with the wheels off-set about 8 inches. "Oughta be a law" is common for him to mutter! LHM, it won't be long before we'll expect LEO to chase down those with baggy pants.
I would think legislators have something better to do than to debate bull-balls off the trailer ball and jacked trucks. (I'll probably live to regret having said that)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:26 AM   #25
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I believe what Randall so eloquently stated has some truth to it. Conformity is what 'they' are after, not safety. I have a close friend here in Florida who has an absolute seizure every time we see a jacked truck with the wheels off-set about 8 inches. "Oughta be a law" is common for him to mutter! LHM, it won't be long before we'll expect LEO to chase down those with baggy pants.
I would think legislators have something better to do than to debate bull-balls off the trailer ball and jacked trucks. (I'll probably live to regret having said that)
Jim
I'd think the LEOs wouldn't mind chasing those with baggy pants, it hard to run very well while holding your pants up with one hand or having them down around your ankles.
As for the ridiculous things folks do to their vehicles, it's their $$$ so as long as it doesn't indanger me or mine let'm spend the dough. I'm sure most of us did plenty of stupid s##t when we were young also.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:37 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Available at Amazon (and other somewhat fine retailers) in your choice of size, color and hanging options..... Prices may vary based on whatever criteria the seller might find as a reason to increase the price.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:09 AM   #27
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallCothren View Post
I'm in North Carolina native and I guess they just decided to make a law that keeps people from doing the crazy up in the front down the back look.

It gives him a reason to pull you over and then they can have their way with you.

It seems weirdly paranoid that did you think that when towing they really care what you're position your truck is in.
What they really want is to see your birth certificate if you got to go to the bathroom

Although the law is stupid it's not about trying to arrest people who are towing a camper it's about trying to find somebody who's got some weed or something because they figure if you got your car looking like that you're up to no good.
All I'm getting out of this is that if your truck is that overloaded that it looks all wacky doodle maybe you're destroying your truck and that should be your focus.

If they pulled you over in North Carolina for being overloaded it wouldn't be because of that really stupid law it will because they were afraid that you're going to destroy your truck and be sideways out in the interstate and kill everybody.
I think it’s mostly for safety…lights pointing up and danger of rear ending someone… but conformity does play a part in it…oh and I was being sarcastic about the towing overloaded… I don’t really think the law will affect people towing with half ton trucks..I was attempting some humor
Old 07-16-2021, 01:15 PM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

If I had to guess I'd guess that the law, like so many laws, was prompted by the few load voices saying "you have to do SOMETHING!" That "something" typically ends up in some useless, poorly written legislation that's got a bunch of money tacked on gor some politicians "pet projects". At least that's my impression of polotics.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #29
Blackrock

I had a 1971 GMC Sprint with air shocks that I could air up and give it a wicked looking rake. Headlights were pointing at the ground but WTH,

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote