Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2021, 08:36 AM   #1
edc457

Towing Question

I have a 2010 Tundra with 5.7 Litre engine. Just purchased a 2017 Sprinter 316BIK? New to RVing. I was told my truck would tow the 33' camper, no problem. Looking at the numbers (which I am not too familiar with) is looks pretty close? Any experts to weigh in? (no pun intended) Thank you.
edc457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:06 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You have a 12 year old truck with 12 year old suspension components. At best, it "might have" met the weight requirements when it was new. Now, after many miles and many years, those "RAWR, FAWR, GVWR, GCWR limits are "worn with age"...

Without knowing the "actual details found ONLY on your truck's placards" it's hard to say, but at first glance, you're going to be WAY, WAY overloaded, not to mention the sway that you'll face with every passing 18 wheeler and gust of sidewind you encounter....

Then, to add insult to injury, that trailer is 36.67' long, weighs 8,725 pounds empty with a GVW of 11,255 pounds.... That's a "questionable load" for even a 3/4 ton truck and is better suited for a 1 ton truck.... It's way more than any half ton should be attempting to tow.

In short, buy a shorter, lighter trailer that is a better match for your truck or buy a heavier, more capable truck that's a better match for your trailer....

What you have now is not going to be anything but "white knuckle towing". Putting your safety and the lives of your family at risk with that rig is, at best, extremely foolish..

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:09 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Let me guess, the guy that took your money when you bought it "said no problem" right? The specs I got lookinmg up the year and model https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2017-...316bik-tr30178
Lists the trailer as 36.5' long with a GVWR of 11,225 lbs. Most folks agree that when dealing with an "unknown actual weight" use 13% of the gross weight as the estimated tongue weight. So 11,225 X .13 = 1,459 lbs tongue weight. Add about 120 lbs for a good weight distributing hitch and you're strapping 1,579 lbs on the back of that truck.

Then there's the wind resistance and sail surface of the large box behind a light duty truck. Even if the numbers "just barely" work, don't fool yourself into the trap of thinking "but,but, we don't take much, we don't go far", or whatever other false rational you may come up with to "make it work". There's a big difference between "can I" and "should I". I think you already know the answer and that's why you're here asking the question and I respect you for that.

The bottom line is that trailer is too much for that truck. That trailer would require a a 3/4 ton truck at a min. to haul that trailer safely anmd for you to have a pleasant towing experience.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:10 AM   #4
edc457

That's what I was afraid of. Thank you John for your quick reply.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:11 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Not sure placards are necessary with a Tundra pulling a 37' and 11255 lb camper. Too much camper and too little truck. The tongue weight alone will be 1300-1500 lbs. If you have people and gear and other stuff in your truck not to mention a weight distributing hitch, if lack of payload won't get you, the short wheel base truck trying to pull a 37' camper will no matter which hitch you choose. Sorry but it is truck shopping time.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:12 AM   #6
edc457

Thanks again Marshall for your advice. John gave me the same advice. I guess I better look for another truck.

Tags
tow, towing