Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2021, 09:52 AM   #1
Black Dodge

Replacement awning fabric

I am in the process of looking for replacement awnings for my Raptor 410LEV. I have looked thru alot of threads but really haven't seen any suggestions or preferences on fabric manufacturers. I dont mind spending the money for a quality product. TIA.
Black Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:58 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

If you open the awning all the way there should be a tag with all the information to get a direct replacement. Having done more frabrics than I want to think about I will say a Dometic fabric is easier to replace than a Carefree. Some of the generic brands are a real PITA to install.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:04 AM   #3
Black Dodge

Thanks for the welcome. I have been lurking in the shadows for a while! So in your opinion the OEM replacements would be the best route?
Old 04-28-2021, 02:36 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

I had someone back into the side of my camper while in storage this winter. Fortunately/unfortunately the awning took the brunt of it with the roller tube getting flattened out in a 3-4 foot section and two layers of the fabric torn.

I have a Lippert Solera Smart Awning and it “only” needs the 19 foot roller and fabric. I just ordered the exact replacement for matching and ease of installation. The downside is that Lippert is 4-6 weeks out due to demand and current backlog of orders. Hopefully your fabric will be in stock and available!
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:40 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dodge View Post
Thanks for the welcome. I have been lurking in the shadows for a while! So in your opinion the OEM replacements would be the best route?
I like the Dometic fabric more than the Carefree. If your awning is carefree, you have to install the “gimp” for the valence with a screen tool. The knock offs you have to thread the awning gimp from one end and push it through to the other side. I’ll leave it up to you to decide how much work you want to do.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:59 PM   #6
travelin texans

On line to Shade Pro or a couple others with good quality fabric replacements. There's vinyl, acrylic & fabric products available.
Bought Vista Shades for our awnings & topper replacement fabric from Shade Pro, very good quality with both at reasonable prices.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:22 PM   #7
Hblick48

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
On line to Shade Pro or a couple others with good quality fabric replacements. There's vinyl, acrylic & fabric products available.
Bought Vista Shades for our awnings & topper replacement fabric from Shade Pro, very good quality with both at reasonable prices.
X2

I purchased slide topper replacements from them. Good quality good pricing. I just purchased Carefree Travel'r complete electric awning to replace old manual one with bent tube and torn fabric. Installing this Saturday.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:03 PM   #8
Black Dodge

Looked at shade pro and a few others. Kinda leaning toward the tough top at the moment.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #9
Black Dodge

Just bought the shade pro 4 ply. I have done alot of reading of reviews and watched alot of videos. Hoping for the best.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:42 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Feel free to PM if you need any help.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:56 AM   #11
Black Dodge

Absolutely! Thanks.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:41 AM   #12
luverofpeanuts

I'm curious how replacing the awning fabric worked out? I'm facing the same issue as my original awning fabric is 10 years old now and I think I'd rather replace than clean again. It's starting to show holes in many places. I'm not opposed to just paying for it to be done right, but would tackle a DIY if it's not too complicated. Most shops around here are booked out quite far anyway.
luverofpeanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:59 AM   #13
Black Dodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by luverofpeanuts View Post
I'm curious how replacing the awning fabric worked out? I'm facing the same issue as my original awning fabric is 10 years old now and I think I'd rather replace than clean again. It's starting to show holes in many places. I'm not opposed to just paying for it to be done right, but would tackle a DIY if it's not too complicated. Most shops around here are booked out quite far anyway.
It's really not that hard at all. Me and the wife replaced both of ours and the only thing I struggled with was getting the tension spring pinned. I ended up letting the tension off and then rewinding it when I had the tube off. We have dometic power awnings and I would say it was roughly 2 hours per awning.
Black Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning