Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2021, 03:25 PM   #1
rodgebone

2020 Outback Slideout Roof Flaking

Went up on the roof to give it an thorough clean and saw this flaking along the top front seams of the slideout roof. It's not leaking but I'm thinking this a good case as preventative maintenance for Eternabond tape. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210603_180600.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	33945   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210603_180543.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	33946  
Old 06-05-2021, 03:50 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Roger I can't really tell from the pictures but is that just the sealant they used along that edge; sort of wispy, stretchy, rubbery material? If so I wouldn't go to the extreme of Eternabond. If it's just on the outer edges of the sealant I've just cleaned it up as long as the seal itself was good and the sealant wasn't pulling off the roof material. If that was the case I would clean up the loose stuff, clean it with alcohol and apply some dicor along the seam.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:58 PM   #3
rodgebone

yeah wasnt sure how serious this was. ordered some eternabond but will see if it cleans up as you suggest. at least I have the eternabond for future use
Old 06-05-2021, 03:59 PM   #4
rodgebone

and yes Danny, it does look like rubber wispy material flaking away from the seam. Dicor should do it
Old 06-05-2021, 05:12 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Remember, if you use DICOR (either self-leveling or non-leveling) it will stay "tacky" and stick to EVERYTHING for a couple of months after you apply it. From the looks of the spot you photographed, the sealant will "sit against the seals both when the slide is extended and when the slide is retracted.

So, be prepared to either let the slide sit in one position for weeks (maybe months) until the DICOR sets up completely or use another type sealant on that area. I'd suspect that the factory used Pro-flex and the reason it's "thin and whispy" is because someone "cleaned it up/smoothed the surface" with a gloved finger after "smearing the sealant on the area"...

If there's butyl putty tape under the molding, there's really not a reason to have a "heavy covering of sealant over the molding. A simply "thin bead to seal both edges (the molding and the TPO membrane) is all that's needed... This is a location where "more is not always better" since there's seals that, if they get stuck in the sealant, will rip out of the mounting tracks as soon as you push the slide button.....

So, think things through before you go "slapping on a nice, heavy bead of DICOR.... Worse yet, would be "covering the whole area with Eternabond tape and having it "scrunch up into a nasty mess" when it's been sitting in the sun all day and you hit the "IN" button on the slide.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:33 PM   #6
rodgebone

TX John...i considered the fact this going to gum up the seals when the slideout is retracted/extended if I use Dicor as we are going into the hot summer months here in Oregon. I havent left my space in this RV park since last July and Im trying not to move anytime soon as Im starting a new job locally but the governor here could lift the terms limits of 90 days in any one particular RV park at any moment (I give it another two months best guess). its a pandemic catch 22. want to sort this before it becomes a bigger issue (ie Leak). so im not sure whether to use eternabond for what might be a quicker set or a small bit of Dicor which even so will surely take weeks to set and stop being tacky. or maybe this can wait for a few months (it doesnt look bad atm and as i said its not leaking). I just want to sort this ASAP before it becomes a bigger issue
Old 06-05-2021, 05:34 PM   #7
rodgebone

anyone know the cure time of ertnabond vs dicor in summer temps?
Old 06-05-2021, 06:12 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Eternabond doesn’t have a “cure” time. However if you read the directions you need to use Dicor to seal the edges of the tape. Personally I would use the Dicor and hope for enough time.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:12 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I think I'd be inclined to just clean it up with some simple green and a soft bristle brush, rinse well and watch it. Possibly you could "lightly trim the loose edges back to where it adheres well"... that way you could see any progression of the separation.

It may be an optical illusion or the camera angle, but looking down your roofline in the first photo, it appears that there's a "bubble" or a "bulge" in the TPO membrane several feet beyond the edge with the thin sealant bead. Is the TPO membrane secure and flat on the roof structure or is there a "bump on the roof" or a "loose membrane" closer to the center of the slide roof ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-05-2021, 06:15 PM   #10
ChuckS

https://www.eternabond.com/articles.asp?id=206

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:36 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Roger you have some "wisping" of the OE sealant along those edges. ProFlex, ProSeal...you don't know but when they start feathering like that it's not a huge issue unless you see those little "wisps" of material going down into the thicker portion sealing the seam - that material just does that...but, it will peel back until it gets down into the "body" of the sealant and can compromise the seal.

I've had some that I just sort of clean, pick off, the feathers and let it go because the "body" of the sealant hasn't been compromised. I've had some where that peeling looks like it might be exposing a gap/path for water to get into the seam. At that point I have used dicor and proflex/proseal. You can use either one. Those seals as they ride the slide are outside the edges of the rim where the roofing comes over. I've never had a seal/roofing/etc. peel it off or get stuck. You can however apply too much. The object is to seal it and not smother it with globs. From the pic yours doesn't look too bad. You just need to make sure where it is letting go doesn't leave that loose, open, tiny gap that lets water get through. If concerned put down a bead of proflex and smooth then let dry.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:27 AM   #12
slow

That may not be sealant flaking but rather butyl tape excess that was smoothed out at the factory. That is why it is not adhering well. Cleanup is all that is probably required.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:41 AM   #13
rodgebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

It may be an optical illusion or the camera angle, but looking down your roofline in the first photo, it appears that there's a "bubble" or a "bulge" in the TPO membrane several feet beyond the edge with the thin sealant bead. Is the TPO membrane secure and flat on the roof structure or is there a "bump on the roof" or a "loose membrane" closer to the center of the slide roof ???
yes, there is a bubble/warpage in the center or the slideout. its been there since new (18 months) and hasn't posed an issue yet nor is it getting worse. from memory when i cleaned the roof last month that area is making secure contact with the roof itself so probably some warpage. But you got me thinking so will go back up there and have another look. will get some better shots of the peeling while im there

thanks everyone for your input. it is much appreciated
Old 06-06-2021, 08:16 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgebone View Post
yes, there is a bubble/warpage in the center or the slideout. its been there since new (18 months) and hasn't posed an issue yet nor is it getting worse. from memory when i cleaned the roof last month that area is making secure contact with the roof itself so probably some warpage. But you got me thinking so will go back up there and have another look. will get some better shots of the peeling while im there

thanks everyone for your input. it is much appreciated
If you can take a few more photos of that bulge....

It may just be a bent aluminum stringer under the OSB, or it may be a manufacturing flaw in the OSB (a lump of wood shavings glued together) or it could be "swelling caused by water under the TPO".... I believe it's covered by the Keystone 3 year structural warranty, so with your trailer being a 2020 model, you've got about half that warranty remaining. The issue will be (if there's any warranty repair) how the dealership reports the problem to Keystone... If the dealer leaves any "room for doubt" that it might be a water intrusion issue, it's going to be a "hard sell" to get Keystone to accept the repair. While "entirely different from your sealant whisping", I'd look very carefully at the outer edge of the TPO where it transitions under the molding on the wall of the slide. There's a 3" plastic molding above it, the aluminum molding and the TPO. Where they all come together, there may be (probably is) a strip of Eternabond tape. Inspect that seam very VERY carefully and look for any/all hints of water. Look at every screw for signs of rust under the head, every inch of tape for any ripple that isn't sealed to the TPO and inspect the TPO very carefully for any hint that there's a void in the membrane, a bubble or a pinhole that might leak water through the membrane and onto the OSB surface.

I'm probably be "far too cautious" but at the price of repairs, better to find it before it's "your exclusive responsibility".... Let us know what you find.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-06-2021, 10:04 AM   #15
rodgebone

I was going to take it in for warranty when I first noticed the bubble but by then it was past the 90 days for roof repairs (my understanding of Keystone's roof warranty) so didn't bother. As well I'm a full timer and leaving the wrig at the dealer for who knows how long wasn't an option at the time. If it is covered under a 3 year warranty then hopefully I can get to the dealer for a look as I'm hoping to be in a sticks n bricks soon. thanks again for the info

Tags
outback, roof, slide, slideout