Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2021, 11:00 AM   #1
brianshellhart

Front compartment door for 2009 keystone cougar

I need a new compartment door for my cougar but. Can't find the same dimensions online where can. I look it's 59 3/8" wide x 21 1/4" tall not including flange
brianshellhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You'll probably need to replace the entire door assembly, not just the door. Try measuring the door frame opening and go from there. Over the years and even same year from different manufacturers will have different hinge assemblies, so the doors are not interchangeable based on "trailer model"....

On the inside of the door you should find a small decal with a manufacturer's part number and model number. That's likely to be the only door that will fit the opening... not only is length and height of the opening, the radius cuts have to match and they seldom do from manufacturer to manufacturer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:01 PM   #3
brianshellhart

I will try and locate the decal with the part number I understand I have to change out the whole compartment door the flange everything I just can't find the size that I need. But thanks for the advice I'll check it out
Old 06-03-2021, 12:09 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's what Trekwood says are "possibilities" even though they are slightly different measurements than you posted. That's why the actual part number is so vital.

Here's some doors that might fit:
https://www.trekwood.com/products/50...c-1K-2T-1FP-TH
https://www.trekwood.com/products/50...co-1K2T-TH-WPE
https://www.trekwood.com/products/50...1K2T-FP-TH-WPE

While none of these may be "the one you need" at least they'll give you some starting places... Give Trekwood a call, they may be able to help, but trust me when I say that you'll "CHOKE" when they quote shipping charges.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-03-2021, 02:36 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here's what Trekwood says are "possibilities" even though they are slightly different measurements than you posted. That's why the actual part number is so vital.

Here's some doors that might fit:
https://www.trekwood.com/products/50...c-1K-2T-1FP-TH
https://www.trekwood.com/products/50...co-1K2T-TH-WPE
https://www.trekwood.com/products/50...1K2T-FP-TH-WPE

While none of these may be "the one you need" at least they'll give you some starting places... Give Trekwood a call, they may be able to help, but trust me when I say that you'll "CHOKE" when they quote shipping charges.....
Could you buy a door that’s taller and wider by a few inches and then just carefully enlarge the opening? Would that be easier then finding an exact replacement?
Old 06-03-2021, 03:38 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Could you buy a door that’s taller and wider by a few inches and then just carefully enlarge the opening? Would that be easier then finding an exact replacement?
The front wall in his fifth wheel is foam laminated to FILON with a welded aluminum frame surrounding the cutout. So, "trimming it a tad bigger" would mean making the square aluminum channel into a "C" channel. Probably wouldn't hold up very well to torqueing self tapping screws into it without bending. I'd suppose it could be done, but certainly not without more risk than I'd want to take. If it didn't work, the repair bill would likely be more than the trailer is worth....

Now, to install a smaller door, build out the existing frame to support the smaller door and installing a new sheet of FILON over the old front skin.... The only issue then, would be incorporating the edges of the new FILON at the sides of the trailer. The top would just need a new "screw strip and matching vinyl trim cover"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-03-2021, 03:46 PM   #7
jasin1

A lot to consider, didn’t realize the complexity of the construction.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:49 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

You could get a thin sheet of plywood and glue a sheet of laminated counter top to it. On your broken door and from the inside take some pliers or similar and bend the metal out so the broken piece can be removed then use it as a template to cut the plywood/laminate to size and bend the lip back up. Carefully make some holes for the locks.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:43 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Or just buy a new trailer. With the shipping costs at Treckwood it might be a wash.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:03 AM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Or just buy a new trailer. With the shipping costs at Treckwood it might be a wash.
That’s funny
Old 06-04-2021, 06:24 AM   #11
brianshellhart

Yeah I can't find a manufacturer label. I have checked the Trek wood website for something about the same size I'd have to measure the flanges to make sure but 60x22 is like $329 I would have loved to have found a manufacturers sticker but no such luck. The truck would website does say it should fit a 2009 cougar
Old 06-04-2021, 08:46 AM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianshellhart View Post
Yeah I can't find a manufacturer label. I have checked the Trek wood website for something about the same size I'd have to measure the flanges to make sure but 60x22 is like $329 I would have loved to have found a manufacturers sticker but no such luck. The truck would website does say it should fit a 2009 cougar
As already mentioned before hitting "buy now" from Trekwood check their shipping cost, quite likely it'll be the same as the door price, if not more.
Check Kinro online, they had windows & doors in the past, but have since been bought out by Lippert if I recall.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, keystone