Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2021, 03:05 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMA2019 View Post
Thank you, we are exhausting all avenues first before filing a claim. But we do have a waterproof cover over the RV while it is at the repair shop. 😊

Have them explain the yellow mesh, I've not seen that.....but I haven't torn any of my roofs off either. I would think I would have felt something like that in all the times I've messed with a roof though.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:28 PM   #22
NCMA2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here's a "non-expert assessment":

In photo #1, it looks like that area was cut. If it were done by a razor or knife blade, there likely would not be "varying depths of cut" and all of the surface would be cut, not "cut a bit, then scraped, then cut some more"..

In photo #2, the underside of the TPO membrane is stretched as well as cut. That's indicative of a "scrape" not a "knife/razor cut".

In photo #3, there appears to be scrape/pull marks about 1/2" under the cut membrane that's being held up by your finger. That sure looks like something (maybe a tree limb) brushed the roof and was "dragged along the edge".

In photo #4, the damage is "pulled aft" and is an obvious scrape "from something being dragged along the edge of the trailer roof/sidewall.

I would not think Keystone will claim this as a "DEFECT".. It's obviously "DAMAGE".... Read your Keystone Owner's Manual Warranty and the "Warranty download" located at: https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p...ive-912017.pdf

Pay particular attention of the definition of "DAMAGE vs DEFECT" as defined in the warranty....

IMHO, you are facing an "impossible challenge" in convincing Keystone that this is a "DEFECT".... The warranty specifically excludes DAMAGE, so I don't think you'll get any relief from Keystone by claiming a warranty issue.... I don't see any way you could ever establish that this was done "before purchase" or "after purchase", so the "DAMAGE" clause would exclude any warranty repair or cause establishe Keystone/dealer responsibility"... I'm sure that somewhere you signed a statement that you've inspected the trailer upon delivery and agree that there is no damage present. So, trying to place a time and a responsible act are impossible now that 3 months and 2200 miles have passed.

I'd also suggest that you contact your insurance company and file a claim under the comprehensive part of your policy, pay the deductible and have a new roof installed. I would not accept a "patch job" as it will (not may) start to leak in the future.... A replacement roof is your only "permanent option"... There are some alternatives to a TPO roof, some others have suggested looking at those as well as the OEM replacement.... That's your choice.....

I think you're facing a losing battle trying to get Keystone to accept this as a warranty issue.
Thank you! I found another video of the other side of the RV with the same slice damage next to the awning. I took a screenshot. Definitely not tree branch damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8BE11271-1E57-4B95-A2F0-5CBFAD782B45.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	33821  
NCMA2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:36 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you! I found another video of the other side of the RV with the same slice damage next to the awning. I took a screenshot. Definitely not tree branch damage.
I'm confused.... You "found another video of your trailer" ??? Are you looking for damage in videos or by crawling around on the roof?

Just a caution, when you're talking with Keystone's Customer Service, avoid using the term "damage"... You're already going to be "chasing the bull uphill" trying to get them to accept responsibility. If you give them the opportunity to use "your words to describe DAMAGE" then they'll almost certainly revert back to the warranty exclusions....

Call it anything but "DAMAGE"... Use terms like "cut membrane" or "defective area" or "existing open TPO surface".... I know it sounds "silly" but if you refer to it as "damage" the translation at Keystone will be termed "damage" and when reviewed by the approval supervisors, your potential claim will "hit a brick wall" and 99:1 will be disapproved if "DAMAGE is in the report....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:01 PM   #24
NCMA2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm confused.... You "found another video of your trailer" ??? Are you looking for damage in videos or by crawling around on the roof?

Just a caution, when you're talking with Keystone's Customer Service, avoid using the term "damage"... You're already going to be "chasing the bull uphill" trying to get them to accept responsibility. If you give them the opportunity to use "your words to describe DAMAGE" then they'll almost certainly revert back to the warranty exclusions....

Call it anything but "DAMAGE"... Use terms like "cut membrane" or "defective area" or "existing open TPO surface".... I know it sounds "silly" but if you refer to it as "damage" the translation at Keystone will be termed "damage" and when reviewed by the approval supervisors, your potential claim will "hit a brick wall" and 99:1 will be disapproved if "DAMAGE is in the report....
We took a series of videos as soon as we arrived to our new home on Feb 25th. We were on the roof about to cover it with the new waterproof cover because there was a storm coming the next day. We just documented everything we saw. I just remembered we had those that I could take a screen shot of. Makes no sense that there would be similar “cuts in the membrane” on both sides of the RV. Clearly “defective”. I mean.. who goes around cutting the membrane of their brand new RV they just paid 30K for?!

I agree wording is important and will bear that in mind in the future. Thank you for your suggestions.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:29 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

I would just emphasize what John mentioned. Wording will be everything if you're not careful. ALWAYS talk/speak/write from the point of the roof being "defective" when you got it. It matters not how it got "damaged" before you got it; it was "defective" when you got it. When the conversation turns to "damaged roof", as it will (and is), from your perspective as a new owner your new trailer came with a "defective" roof as compared to one in perfect condition. How a "defect/damage" occurred is theirs to explain (simplistic; probably not).

I will say it will be a major uphill climb trying to claim that after towing the trailer cross country, but......you never know. Just keep that insurance claim form handy.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:28 AM   #26
Sarge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Have them explain the yellow mesh, I've not seen that.....but I haven't torn any of my roofs off either. I would think I would have felt something like that in all the times I've messed with a roof though.

go to the 12:30second mark and you'll see them putting down fiberglass mesh tape to cover seems and such... Just thought you'd be interested... I think the glue made it yellow...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:36 AM   #27
NCMA2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post

go to the 12:30second mark and you'll see them putting down fiberglass mesh tape to cover seems and such... Just thought you'd be interested... I think the glue made it yellow...

Thanks so much! I reached out to a YouTuber who is well known for re-doing all kinds of RV roofs. He did say it was a mesh to bridge the gap so the roof doesn’t sink in at the joints. 😊
Old 05-31-2021, 08:29 AM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post

Thank you. I've seen and used fiberglass mesh tape for various repairs in the past. The video is about a repair on a damaged roof which I understand. I've just not seen fiberglass mesh to cover a wide gap left by what appears to be a piece of roofing cut a tad short on a new roof. And like I mentioned, I've spent a lot of time on my various roofs and you can see all kinds of lumps, bumps, ripples etc. through the thin roof fabric and I would think you would either see or feel that thin mesh strip, especially where it is located next to the edge and with nothing under it...it would still flex with that big of a gap.

Below is a link showing the construction of a Keystone RV. Granted it's a Montana but I just don't see how/why trying to put fiberglass mesh over gaps left in roofing material would ever happen; too costly and time consuming. At about the 10 minute mark and forward to approx. the 15 minute mark at least it will show how the roof comes together. Note there is no mesh, or need for it

Old 05-31-2021, 09:00 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks so much! I reached out to a YouTuber who is well known for re-doing all kinds of RV roofs. He did say it was a mesh to bridge the gap so the roof doesn’t sink in at the joints. ��
If you go to around the 12:28 mark in the video you can see the aluminum molding "transition" that almost every RV manufacturer previously used to "round the corner from the horizontal roof to the vertical sidewall". That aluminum molding served as a support for the "curved edges of the roof"....

Now, there's the vertical sidewall and the horizontal roof with nothing but a "big gap covered by TPO membrane"... That leaves everything from cut edges, sharp corners, squared, ugly roof edges, loose sheets of OSB that don't "blend well"... Now, looks like the manufacturers are "fixing these problems" by using fiberglass mesh tape to keep things in place.... Why they "cheap out" on what becomes a critical problem (after the warranty) is just "wrong"....

One of the things I will do if/when I need to replace my TPO membrane is install edge molding to the roof margins to eliminate the squared off, uneven edges.

Here are a couple of the "used to be" transitions and, in the lower right, the "this is now" squared edge that causes problems any time something "drags" over the edge of the TPO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ROOF EDGE RADIUS.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	33880  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 12:06 PM   #30
CedarCreekWoody

You may want to engage your insurance company to get their assistance in negotiating with Keystone or the dealer. They often carry more clout.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #31
Cascadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
This won’t help, but even money says you bought it that way, done by the dealer, and it wasn’t caught during a PDI. Something dragged on that edge!
That would me my guess as well. Who gets up on the roof during the PDI?? I'd let the dealership know and also advise them that you will not be able to give them even the smallest positive review and their refusal to repair/replace the roof would end up costing them more in the long run by way of a seriously bad review. They should expect their good reputation will be diminished, greatly. Those kinds of issues matter to future customers. Seriously! I'd be hoppin mad and they'd be hearing about it...but that's just me.
Cascadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:25 PM   #32
NCMA2019

Thank you all for your input! This thread has been most helpful for sure! I will definitely keep everyone updated. As of now, we are still in the middle of getting the selling dealer and servicing dealer involved with each other along with their perspective Keystone representatives. I will post all updates as they come! Thank you all again and enjoy the summer with your RV’s!! We miss our lil’ bugger! Wish we could go camping soon!!
Old 06-03-2021, 03:50 PM   #33
wiredgeorge

Does that yellow mesh stuff look like the sticky yellow mesh used to "tape" drywall joints? Hmmm
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:45 PM   #34
chuckster57
Site Team

That yellow tape is sticky on one side, and is common on the seams. It gets sticky on both sides from the adhesive.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:56 PM   #35
NCMA2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Does that yellow mesh stuff look like the sticky yellow mesh used to "tape" drywall joints? Hmmm
I reached out to Joe from RV Roof Install on YouTube, he said that it’s really like drywall mesh joint tape. 😦 That’s insane..
Old 06-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #36
Jim2366

I would suggest that you turn in the claim to your insurance before the repair is started. Doing this will allow the insurance adjuster to approve the repair and agree on the cost to fix it.

Tags
damage, passport, roof