Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2021, 09:53 AM   #21
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marineman View Post
I clicked on the link you provided and read the reviews and they are excellent. I have the exact same TT as you have, only it's a 2017. I replaced my vinyl trim above the awning the other day and I noticed a little bounce in the center and I'm concerned about the effects this might have while traveling down the road.
Next time you're on the rooftop, look at where the roller connects to the rear arm while the awning is closed. Mine is not squarely attached. I don't know if it has sagged down a little over time or if it left the factory that way. The front arm seems to be squarely attached to the roller. I think I'm going to have to look at it more closely before we take it out for the summer run.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:39 AM   #22
KarenK

Noticed sagging in mine because it had pushed down the porch light a half inch. Is a manual 21 ft awning, previous owners had a seasonal spot so never added the center support and rail. For manual awnings think it's recommended for 20' and over. Not sure about the new auto awnings. Water was never an issue since I always tilt the rear side down. The cradle part on mine is raised up against the roller tube after the awning is closed. Haven't noticed extra wear at the cradle area but my fabric is due to be replaced anyway. Believe its still original and I've used awning repair tape on small pin holes along the top edge.
Past
2006 Springdale 280 FWIKL-GL
1997 Jayco 253
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:45 AM   #23
KarenK

Just read this in the amazon reviews of the link to this cradle, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFTYWI6..._t1_B00PXLQB4K.

Question:If there is that much flex of the roller while traveling is there a possibility of the fabric wearing while resting on the support?
Answer:Since I installed this 5000 miles ago I have noticed no flex or wear and our awning is 26' long.
Past
1997 Jayco 253
Old 05-14-2021, 07:43 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenK View Post
Noticed sagging in mine because it had pushed down the porch light a half inch. Is a manual 21 ft awning, previous owners had a seasonal spot so never added the center support and rail. For manual awnings think it's recommended for 20' and over. Not sure about the new auto awnings. Water was never an issue since I always tilt the rear side down. The cradle part on mine is raised up against the roller tube after the awning is closed. Haven't noticed extra wear at the cradle area but my fabric is due to be replaced anyway. Believe its still original and I've used awning repair tape on small pin holes along the top edge.
If this is the situation, then you might want to check the roller tube to make sure it's not bent. Many (almost every one I've seen) that is/was used on a seasonal site had the awning deployed "almost all the time" and many of them are not properly supported in the center when the awning is out. So, any rain "during the week while the owners are gone" puts a heavy load on the roller tube and over the years (or over one season) tend to warp from the extra weight. So, when you get time, inspect your awning roller tube to see if it's warped/bent and if that might be the reason it "pushed down the porch light"... Your awning may be the "1 in 100" that was seasonal and not bent.... but worth double checking...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:58 PM   #25
KarenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If this is the situation, then you might want to check the roller tube to make sure it's not bent. Many (almost every one I've seen) that is/was used on a seasonal site had the awning deployed "almost all the time" and many of them are not properly supported in the center when the awning is out. So, any rain "during the week while the owners are gone" puts a heavy load on the roller tube and over the years (or over one season) tend to warp from the extra weight. So, when you get time, inspect your awning roller tube to see if it's warped/bent and if that might be the reason it "pushed down the porch light"... Your awning may be the "1 in 100" that was seasonal and not bent.... but worth double checking...
I don't think its bent. After a year of driving it around is when I saw it had settled to the top of the light and nudged it down. Don't think they used it much, all the wear is at the top exposed part of the fabric and the inside was very clean like they didn't even cook in it.

I did exchange that battery this week though.
Past
1997 Jayco 253

Tags
awning