Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2021, 10:24 AM   #1
RK1978

Parallax converter problems

My 2008 Hideout was maintaining battery voltage at a lower level as we traveled, by the time we got home and put trailer away it was barely keeping them at 12 volts. Checked batteries, cables and clamps, all OK so started looking at how batteries are charged and found output from Parallax 7155 unit would only put out 12V and sometimes not even that. I can get a new charging unit, but before I do, would I be better off using a different brand or model? THis looks to be the original, so it has lasted 12 years but if there is better equipment that will fit in the cubicle this one came out of, I would look at upgrading.
Another question-the 120V hot wire had another wire bonded to it to share the breaker, that went to a wire nut tied to 14 ga romex out the back. The picture of replacement unit showed a similar bonded wire-anyone know why?
Thanks,
PR
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:25 PM   #2
Steveo57

The extra wire connected to the 120 volt is usually supplying an outlet string. If the breakers are labeled it might give you a clue like CONV/GEN or CONV/REC which stands for converter and receptacle or general area receptacle. They do it that way because on a 30 amp power panel the code used to only allow five circuits.

Tags
converter