Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2020, 02:15 PM   #1
sarahdove

HELP, our power awning over the tailgate deck will not retract

Please if you have any idea how to manually retract the tailgate awning. It will not automatically retract. We cannot close our tailgate with awning out. We have a 2015 371 Fuzion TH. THANK YOU. We are stuck in a campsite. Ugh
sarahdove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:01 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

There should be a manual override on the motor end. You may have to take the cap off, is it a carefree awning?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #3
roberthensley491

Tail gate awning stuck open

Try checking your fuse box, it happened to my 2020 Keystone Fuzion Impact 367, the fuse blow out, after replacing it, it closed no problem.
roberthensley491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:31 AM   #4
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
There should be a manual override on the motor end. You may have to take the cap off, is it a carefree awning?
Interesting...follow up/resolution?

We've not had any problems with ours but I was looking at it the other day and wondering what would happen if it wouldn't retract. Our newish Raptor has an 8' scissors style (fully enclosed when retracted) factory installed awning over the ramp/party deck. It did not come with any type of crank or handle. Fortunately the ramp will open/close with the awning out, but it sure wouldn't survive being out while going down the road!

Now that I think about it, I'm in the same boat with the two 16' side awnings. I think they are Dometic - motors hidden inside the roller. I wouldn't know how to manually retract them either!

Chuck, can you provide a little more detail on the "manual override"?

Thanks!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:25 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

On the Dometic awnings with the motor inside the tube, You will find two hex head screws on the end. If you take those out you can manually operate the awning. I have been told you only want to use it to RETRACT a stuck awning as it breaks the wires in the motor. Its been few years since I dealt with a carefree patio awing but I believe the manual is under the cap on the motor end. Solara awnings have a small rubber cap you remove on the forward arm and you can turn the nut that turns the gears.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, power