Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

New RVIA Rules

Below is something I read about today which will help all of us I think going forward when trying to determine RV length in a consistent manner. Although not in this article RVIA also states that member manufacturers make their annual model year and major product design changes between July 1 and August 31 of each year. Now won't that be a change!!??

https://www.rvnews.com/vehicle-lengt...rting-in-2021/
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:08 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Very interesting, looking forward to that change. Too many times customers think and salespersons tell them that the model number is the length. As an example my fiver is “considered” 27’ 6” and its 30’ 11” tip to toe.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Finally. I had a 30' Sea Ray boat that 2 years later was classified as a 36' boat. The year mine was made the bow pulpit and swim platform was not counted because it was bolted on. Two years later, they changed the molds (exact same hull/boat otherwise) to incorporate the bow pulpit and swim platform.

I'm sure many RV buyers have been confused when their 24' camper sticks out of the 24' pole barn 2 1/2'.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:43 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Below is something I read about today which will help all of us I think going forward when trying to determine RV length in a consistent manner. Although not in this article RVIA also states that member manufacturers make their annual model year and major product design changes between July 1 and August 31 of each year. Now won't that be a change!!??

https://www.rvnews.com/vehicle-lengt...rting-in-2021/
The best thing about RV sellers is the use of the model number to claim the length of a particular camper. A 280XJ becomes 28 feet when in reality it is 32 feet when measured. Perhaps the sellers will begin actually using this number on the new trailers conforming to RIVA length statement requirement.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:50 PM   #5
QCMan
Gone Traveling

This change will also help with reservations. I have had some campgrounds ask for just the model number and some want overall length and some are happy with box length. A good step in the right direction!
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:28 AM   #6
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Growing and shrinking at the same time!

Just went out and did some measuring.
Previous trailer was a 2304 Mini Lite had a 22' box and measured 25.5' overall.
Current trailer is a 22RBS Cougar and has a 23' box and is 26' overall.
With the new rules my "22'" Cougar will grow to a 26' trailer with all the room of a 23' box. I like the new rule as it will be showing real length but I can see the advertising now.
"Here is our new 26RBS which is 3' longer than our 22RBS!"
You can be sure the price will reflect the added 3' that they can now claim, at least for a few years till smart people catch on. Something like when boats were allowed to be measured two ways-down the centerline or on the perimeter from bow tip to center of the transom. Made for difficult comparisons.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #7
LHaven

I always thought the model number understated the length as a "wink and a nudge" accommodation to customers in states where registration fees, license requirements, and such increased for certain length limits.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
Brantlyj

I always thought the number designates the length of the livable space rounded to the nearest number.
Mine is 29.3ft I think hence the 29DFS. But it’s 33 ft hitch to bumper. It’s all in the model highlights so not sure why overall length would be a surprise to anyone.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #9
Pull Toy

Kind of reminds me of the Muscle Car days of the '60's The big block Stangs, GTOs, 442's and Camaro's etc... all under rated their HP ratings, because their insurance rates would have gone thru the roof! The only way you got a true rating was on the Dyno it, and lie to your agent!

The boat market was the same way. It's amazing how many models listed the waterline length because many states had registration and tax fees based on length. In '92 my 21' runabout was $20.00 in Rhode Island. (They didn't count size.) In Connecticut it would have been $125.00 to register a 21' boat.

Because the center of the Pawcatuck River is the border between CT / RI, and had full access to the sound, I docked on the RI side. It paid for my insurance and fuel for the season. You paid registration for the state where (allegedly) moored, not necessarily your state of residence, That's why so many MEGA YACHTS register in Delaware (Cheap $$$ FEES!).

Figures don't lie... but liars figure!

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote