Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2020, 08:15 AM   #61
BrooksFam

[QUOTE=JRTJH;407243]You might want to check the "lowest height measurement" before tossing one of these in your trailer.......QUOTE]

Good point. I am always nervous when using a bottle jack when not on a level/flat/hard surface. They can get a little squirrely.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:56 AM   #62
Laredo Tugger

I agree with all replies about using the U bolt jack point. Lifting straight up on the axle should not affect alignment. Not sure what that guy's advice was based on.
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #63
notanlines

R, "not to lift the trailer on the U bolts under the axle as that would affect the axle alignment" is simply not true, not in any way shape or form. He was certainly given bad advice and need not pass it on.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:54 PM   #64
Laredo Tugger

Copy that Jim.
Once again thankful for the experience and knowledge of this forum.
All the "regulars" on here are a great resource, for those that will listen because there are a few that have a "yellow sticker means nothing" mentality.
Thanks again
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:18 PM   #65
wiredgeorge

[QUOTE=BrooksFam;407266]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You might want to check the "lowest height measurement" before tossing one of these in your trailer.......QUOTE]

Good point. I am always nervous when using a bottle jack when not on a level/flat/hard surface. They can get a little squirrely.

Step 1. DO NOT get under the wheel while jacking it up.
Step 2. Use a jackstand while it is jacked up using the bottle jack.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 01:31 PM   #66
Old_Stevenick

Old thread, but new question. I had to change a tire on my Bullet Crossfire 1650 and the floor jack lifting on the frame didn't get it up high enough. I put it on blocks and it worked.

I saw earlier in the thread talk about where to put the jack. If I put it near the leafs or the axle it will go much higher.

Where is a good place to jack the TT up from?
Old_Stevenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 01:52 PM   #67
NH_Bulldog

I would never jack on the frame, just like I would never jack on the frame of a truck or car.

I always place the jack as close to the wheel as safely possible. In the case of the trailer, that is right about under where the leaf spring is bolted to the axle. I only lift enough to just get the tire off the ground.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 01:55 PM   #68
Old_Stevenick

Thanks, yeah the more I look online the more I realize what an idiot I was jacking on the frame.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:49 PM   #69
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Stevenick View Post
Thanks, yeah the more I look online the more I realize what an idiot I was jacking on the frame.
The frames on a camper are not too robust. If you have a double axle trailer, perhaps look into a Trailer Aid ramp gizmo. They actually work fairly well unless both the front and rear tire go flat.

2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 03:54 PM   #70
Old_Stevenick

It's a single axle trailer so that won't work for me. I just ordered a bottle jack, one that is only 6" at its minimum, hopefully that can fit under the u-bolts with a flat tire, if not I could put it on the axle but might want to get one of those cradle things.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:56 PM   #71
Old_Stevenick

We had a flat on the interstate last week on the way home from camping. On a Sunday of course. Called AAA "we don't cover trailers" called a tow operator. $250! They came fairly quickly though, but couldn't jack it up high enough to put the spare tire on, so I had to raise the camper with the leveling jacks for them to get it on. I offered cash and got it for $200.

Lesson learned. The belt of the tire broke and was sticking through the rubber.
Old 07-18-2022, 05:02 PM   #72
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
We had a flat on the interstate last week on the way home from camping. On a Sunday of course. Called AAA "we don't cover trailers" called a tow operator. $250! They came fairly quickly though, but couldn't jack it up high enough to put the spare tire on, so I had to raise the camper with the leveling jacks for them to get it on. I offered cash and got it for $200.

Lesson learned. The belt of the tire broke and was sticking through the rubber.

I gave up AAA years ago. Their coverage varies by region/state and what you pay for at "home" most likely won't be covered when traveling. Anymore I carry 3-4 roadside plans but they all seem to use the same people. I guess that is to be expected in most rural places. One thing I learned recently that you and others need to be aware of; I called Geico for a recent truck tire failure. It was just outside the DFW metroplex so there was no problem getting someone, BUT, the guy that showed up was not a tire repair place, repair truck or anything else. He was a young man (looked late 20s) in his little personal pickup carrying some basic tools and a little floor jack. I asked him if he was my "roadside assistance" and he said yes.

He was a hard working young fellow but didn't really have the necessary tools. I gave him my 1/2" cordless impact, Viair compressor, sockets etc. to use. If not it would have been a "grunt" job for sure. Even raised the truck with my trailer jacks because his little floor jack didn't have the oomph to pick up the truck. I asked the young man fixing my flat how he came about repairing my flat on my truck on the side of a freeway vs a regular assistance truck. He said that they now have "groups" of people these companies contract to run out and do roadside jobs...pros or not. Just beware of who/what is showing up for your breakdown repair.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:40 PM   #73
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
the guy that showed up was not a tire repair place, repair truck or anything else. He was a young man (looked late 20s) in his little personal pickup carrying some basic tools and a little floor jack. I asked him if he was my "roadside assistance" and he said yes.

He was a hard working young fellow but didn't really have the necessary tools.
Oh, this smells familiar. I bet you got serviced by a gigworker.

Recently, I had a 40 year old disposal let go. I bought a new one online, with installation, from a major national home supply store. The package arrived quickly, but the installer didn't – they kept postponing the installation date.

Eventually, after a few complaints, I figured out what was going on. The home store would quote an arbitrary installation date and time straight out of their sphincter. Then they would post a job online on a national handyman website, and wait for someone to bid it. This might work fine in an urban area, but not when the job is in East Tumbleweed. When nobody bid the job, they would call about six hours before the appointment time (after you had rearranged your whole schedule to accommodate them), and tell you it had been postponed to some other arbitrary time. They would do this three or four times, and then they would just throw up their hands and give up. I didn't like being jerked around like that, and they didn't like it when they got their disposal back.

I'll bet anything that that is exactly what your road service company did -- they gave you an Uber-quality repair kid. That's scary.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:51 PM   #74
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Oh, this smells familiar. I bet you got serviced by a gigworker.

Recently, I had a 40 year old disposal let go. I bought a new one online, with installation, from a major national home supply store. The package arrived quickly, but the installer didn't – they kept postponing the installation date.

Eventually, after a few complaints, I figured out what was going on. The home store would quote an arbitrary installation date and time straight out of their sphincter. Then they would post a job online on a national handyman website, and wait for someone to bid it. This might work fine in an urban area, but not when the job is in East Tumbleweed. When nobody bid the job, they would call about six hours before the appointment time (after you had rearranged your whole schedule to accommodate them), and tell you it had been postponed to some other arbitrary time. They would do this three or four times, and then they would just throw up their hands and give up. I didn't like being jerked around like that, and they didn't like it when they got their disposal back.

I'll bet anything that that is exactly what your road service company did -- they gave you an Uber-quality repair kid. That's scary.

I think these roadside assistance people are stretching to find folks that will fulfill the company's roadside plan obligations. Many of the tire shop kind of folks actually have full time jobs in the shop and roadside stuff is just "fluff" if they don't have anything to do; told that directly by the owner of a shop that wouldn't come help until his store closed at 5pm (thankfully my problem popped up about 4:30pm). Anyway, I think they know that a roadside assistance customer in need can't/won't wait for hours for someone to help as it has been. With that, there is no need for some kind of assistance plan; you have to do it yourself. An evolving situation seems to me...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:43 AM   #75
HouseMouse

Cribbing... yesterday, i was at a local tire shop getting my front tires Re-Balanced for cause. Upon arrival, the workers were changing out four tires on a Cat Loader, one of those monster ones. I didn't like what I saw on how it was jacked up.... Kinda wonkey looking. Yup, they had a 20-ton jack on two stacked 5x5 blocks. The blocks were oil soaked and the integrity had to be questionable. As my back was turned, the top block split and the Jack went sideways allowing the Cat to come down. The Good was, No worker was under or close enough to have been injured. Cribbing, Cribbing, Cribbing.
HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 02:40 AM   #76
Old_Stevenick

OK more confusion from a relative newby.

Single axle 16.5 TT. Ordered a bottle jack. This is for changing tires roadside.

Should I also carry a jack stand or is having the stabilizers down while changing the tire enough? I guess the bottle jack shouldn't be used alone to change a tire, correct?

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2022, 03:56 AM   #77
CedarCreekWoody

Do not use your stabilizers! They are not strong enough to support the camper.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 04:01 AM   #78
Old_Stevenick

Would you change a tire with just a bottle jack under the U-bolt/Axle area or not?
Old 07-20-2022, 04:05 AM   #79
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Would you change a tire with just a bottle jack under the U-bolt/Axle area or not?
Yes, but keep the camper connected to your truck for stability.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 07:41 AM   #80
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Yes, but keep the camper connected to your truck for stability.
The thing is, changing a tire is really not like changing oil or something where you are under a load. I use a bottle jack but I caution you to bring along a piece of plywood to set under the base. If you don't, the jack's base can sink into hardpack and prevent you from releasing the ram. Also, you will want to test it to make sure it will fit underneath and make sure your lug wrench fits on both your regular rims and your spare. Lug nuts can be different sizes and shapes (to accommodate fancy wheels). I had to buy a set of lug nuts for the spare!