Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #1
ATLHammer

New to Everything

Hey! My wife and I currently live in Atlanta (close to downtown) and had planned on hanging in Portland, OR for all of August (wife's family). However, given the current state of everything we decided that flying with our two cats wasn't going to work for us. So, we were discussing other options and decided that acquiring a travel trailer would be a great option. We also love to travel and are lucky that we have very flexible work lives. While we’ve rented a number of RVs, both trailers and motorhomes, this would be our first purchase. After scouring the legal internet and losing out on a couple of used rigs, we were considering going new. However, earlier this past week I found something…

Acquired: 5/20/20 in Tennessee
Rig: 2014 Springdale Fireside 19RBBH (I've added some pics in my gallery)
Condition: Extremely limited use and stored inside for a good portion of its life. It even has some new plastic still in places and smells new.
Tow Vehicle: 2006 Toyota Tundra DC XSP

We brought it back to the city and a good friend is allowing us to keep it in his large driveway just north of the city. We spent all day this past Saturday cleaning up anything and everything we could in a driveway. We’ve also already ordered (or purchased locally) a number of necessities that didn’t come with it and some convenience items. Our plan is to take it for a test run this Saturday night, then down to Florida to visit my family the next weekend. After that we’re hoping to take off and head across the country. We plan on taking ~12 days to make the trip so we can have a pretty leisurely trip vs rushing to get anywhere.

Currently planned "larger" modifications:
1) Reinforcement of the bottom bunk – Not only is it an odd shape at 75”/76” x 49”, it doesn’t seem like it would hold much weight for very long. I’d also like to add some bed lift struts so we can more easily utilize the under bed storage. I have a plan and am hoping to do this down in Florida along with a friend who has all of the correct tools and woodworking knowledge.
2) Scrap the buzzing bathroom fan – Ventilation is important, even we know that given our limited experience! After some research it seems we can simply replace the fan and get the just done. However, we’re strongly considering installing a Maxxair Vent Corp 00-06401K Maxxfan DLX Vent.

We’re hoping we can leverage the collective knowledge of this group and contribute in any way we can!

**On another note and I’m not sure if asking here is appropriate but I was hoping that some of you with more experience would check the math for me on my TV situation. I got the Truck info as a combination of the door stickers and the original brochure. The trailer info came from RVGuide.com

Truck
4,800 Curb wt
6,600 GVWR
1,661 Payload
6,800 Towing
11,800 GCWR

Trailer
3,864 Dry wt
1,736 Payload
395 Hitch wt (seems light vs the 13-15% people mention here, was this calc’d on dry weight?)
5,600 GVWR

I believe we’re within tolerances even with us and some gear, we just can’t fully load the trailer to the max right? Opinions are always welcomed and wanted. I’m sure having more capacity and a higher margin would always be better but are we safe with this setup? I was looking at some of the new F-150s but wasn’t planning on pulling the trigger given the condition of my Tundra.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #2
Gary R.

Howdy and welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you have some fun trips planned, be sure to travel safe and enjoy!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHammer View Post
Hey! My wife and I currently live in Atlanta (close to downtown) and had planned on hanging in Portland, OR for all of August (wife's family). However, given the current state of everything we decided that flying with our two cats wasn't going to work for us. So, we were discussing other options and decided that acquiring a travel trailer would be a great option. We also love to travel and are lucky that we have very flexible work lives. While we’ve rented a number of RVs, both trailers and motorhomes, this would be our first purchase. After scouring the legal internet and losing out on a couple of used rigs, we were considering going new. However, earlier this past week I found something…

Acquired: 5/20/20 in Tennessee
Rig: 2014 Springdale Fireside 19RBBH (I've added some pics in my gallery)
Condition: Extremely limited use and stored inside for a good portion of its life. It even has some new plastic still in places and smells new.
Tow Vehicle: 2006 Toyota Tundra DC XSP

We brought it back to the city and a good friend is allowing us to keep it in his large driveway just north of the city. We spent all day this past Saturday cleaning up anything and everything we could in a driveway. We’ve also already ordered (or purchased locally) a number of necessities that didn’t come with it and some convenience items. Our plan is to take it for a test run this Saturday night, then down to Florida to visit my family the next weekend. After that we’re hoping to take off and head across the country. We plan on taking ~12 days to make the trip so we can have a pretty leisurely trip vs rushing to get anywhere.

Currently planned "larger" modifications:
1) Reinforcement of the bottom bunk – Not only is it an odd shape at 75”/76” x 49”, it doesn’t seem like it would hold much weight for very long. I’d also like to add some bed lift struts so we can more easily utilize the under bed storage. I have a plan and am hoping to do this down in Florida along with a friend who has all of the correct tools and woodworking knowledge.
2) Scrap the buzzing bathroom fan – Ventilation is important, even we know that given our limited experience! After some research it seems we can simply replace the fan and get the just done. However, we’re strongly considering installing a Maxxair Vent Corp 00-06401K Maxxfan DLX Vent.

We’re hoping we can leverage the collective knowledge of this group and contribute in any way we can!

**On another note and I’m not sure if asking here is appropriate but I was hoping that some of you with more experience would check the math for me on my TV situation. I got the Truck info as a combination of the door stickers and the original brochure. The trailer info came from RVGuide.com

Truck
4,800 Curb wt
6,600 GVWR
1,661 Payload
6,800 Towing
11,800 GCWR

Trailer
3,864 Dry wt
1,736 Payload
395 Hitch wt (seems light vs the 13-15% people mention here, was this calc’d on dry weight?)
5,600 GVWR

I believe we’re within tolerances even with us and some gear, we just can’t fully load the trailer to the max right? Opinions are always welcomed and wanted. I’m sure having more capacity and a higher margin would always be better but are we safe with this setup? I was looking at some of the new F-150s but wasn’t planning on pulling the trigger given the condition of my Tundra.

What are door sticker and what are brochure? 5600 gvw of the trailer would be 672 at 12% not 395. That Tundra is the old body style (smaller) vs the new ones which are more capable. A 1661 payload for that truck sure seems optimistic. What does the door sticker say? I assume you have the 4.7L V8? If you could fill in some of the blanks it would help. First take (and thanks for looking into it) it looks like it would work but you want to be safe and have safety margins so a little further looking is a good thing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #4
ATLHammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary R. View Post
Howdy and welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you have some fun trips planned, be sure to travel safe and enjoy!
Thanks! We all know what happens to plans but hopefully we've got enough contingencies to have some solid trips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What are door sticker and what are brochure? 5600 gvw of the trailer would be 672 at 12% not 395. That Tundra is the old body style (smaller) vs the new ones which are more capable. A 1661 payload for that truck sure seems optimistic. What does the door sticker say? I assume you have the 4.7L V8? If you could fill in some of the blanks it would help. First take (and thanks for looking into it) it looks like it would work but you want to be safe and have safety margins so a little further looking is a good thing.
You actually helped on the other thread i was looking at some thank you for chiming in!

It is indeed the last year of the 1st Gen Tundra - 4x2 4.7L V8. The brochure and door both claim GVWR = 6,600. The brochure also says a payload of 1,835 but a second door sticker states "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1,661". So, I went with the lower payload number in my previous post.