Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2020, 09:02 AM   #1
grey ghost

Advise and poll

Getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these rigs, but would like to hear pros and cons from someone that owns one of them. Just doing my checking before spending all that money!! This will be our last and forever rig and plan on seeing the USA, so want something that is going to hold up and not fall apart on us while traveling. Not full-timing but taking extended trips for sure!!

1) Keystone Cougar 315 RLS

2) Keystone Montana High Country 330 RL

3) Jayco 321 RSTS

I've owned Heartland's, Jayco's and Alpha's before and had pretty fair luck but have heard some pretty great testimonies from Keystone owners. Any advise would be appreciated. I've purchased a new Ram 2500 6.7 so no problems with pulling, at least I think so!
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:04 PM   #2
Rambo

We bought the 2020 high country 295RL with the 4 season package, definitely heavier built than the Cougar. Heavier frame and more storage 2 AC units. We really like it. I pull with a RAM 3500 6.7 Hemi no issues at all, check the rating on your truck.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:34 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

The Montana is a real heavy trailer to be pulled by an F250 regardless of how it is equipped. Payload numbers get real very quickly. Check your door sticker and tow rating of your truck and compare to listed specs for the trailers to help guide you.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:14 AM   #4
Fishsizzle

George is on the money with door sticker compliance with pin weight, and I as well suspect the Montana will be the highest followed by the Jayco

I’m actually surprised you haven’t received more payload posts from ones.

Your are correct, your 2500 6.7 will pull anyone of those as fast as you want. It’s the handling the weight that comes into play.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:27 AM   #5
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
I pull with a RAM 3500 6.7 Hemi no issues at all, check the rating on your truck.
Would that be a Cummins?

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:40 AM   #6
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Would that be a Cummins?
Maybe he meant 6.4?
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:48 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Don't know how I missed this and don't own any of the trailers listed but have looked at all of them since we are in the process of trying to decide what we trailer we want. Some thoughts on them and all are JMO;

The Montana HC is off the table for a 3/4 ton, diesel or not. Look at that payload on the truck. The HC gvw is about 14,260. Take 20% of that = 2852lbs. for pin weight. Look at that sticker and subtract 2852 from it....what does that leave...zero??

The Jayco Eagle comes in at 12,700 = 2540 pin weight. Again the payload sticker will drive the choice.

The Cougar comes in at 12,390. Again 20% = 2478.

My Ram 2500 w/6.4 had a payload of approx. 3100; the diesels were significantly lower. A brand new one might be a little more; I've looked while just completing the purchase of my new 3500 but don't recall.

For us I try to figure about 600lbs. for us and puppy along with all the stuff we stick in. 200 for a hitch and 200 misc. That's 1000lbs. added in the truck plus the pin. If you add, which I think you should, a cushion of at least 10% = 260 as an average of the weights. Now you've got 1260 plus the pin. Lightest pin was 2478 + 1260 = 3738. Back to that payload sticker and we may even be getting close to gawr. Therein lies the problem with a 3/4 ton diesel. Lots of "pull" power but no "muscle" to "carry" the load.

As far as the trailers; I have ruled Jayco out. After looking at them extensively I have determined some things; touting "Amish" craftsmanship is pure BS. They aren't built better than anything I've looked at, poorer than most and have floorplans that are designed by someone who never had to use them.

The HC is a nice trailer and could be considered except for weight. This is where weight reality rears its ugly head and dictates what you can and cannot have.

I am currently very active in pursuing a 315rls. Although I will have a much higher payload than your truck I'm sure, it is about as big weight wise as I want to go simply due to weights. We like it as much as the HC line and they in fact feel more plush to us. Look at that galley dump handle and make sure it's not too uncomfortable for you to use.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:04 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Don't know how I missed this and don't own any of the trailers listed but have looked at all of them since we are in the process of trying to decide what we trailer we want. Some thoughts on them and all are JMO;

The Montana HC is off the table for a 3/4 ton, diesel or not. Look at that payload on the truck. The HC gvw is about 14,260. Take 20% of that = 2852lbs. for pin weight. Look at that sticker and subtract 2852 from it....what does that leave...zero??

The Jayco Eagle comes in at 12,700 = 2540 pin weight. Again the payload sticker will drive the choice.

The Cougar comes in at 12,390. Again 20% = 2478.

My Ram 2500 w/6.4 had a payload of approx. 3100; the diesels were significantly lower. A brand new one might be a little more; I've looked while just completing the purchase of my new 3500 but don't recall.

For us I try to figure about 600lbs. for us and puppy along with all the stuff we stick in. 200 for a hitch and 200 misc. That's 1000lbs. added in the truck plus the pin. If you add, which I think you should, a cushion of at least 10% = 260 as an average of the weights. Now you've got 1260 plus the pin. Lightest pin was 2478 + 1260 = 3738. Back to that payload sticker and we may even be getting close to gawr. Therein lies the problem with a 3/4 ton diesel. Lots of "pull" power but no "muscle" to "carry" the load.

As far as the trailers; I have ruled Jayco out. After looking at them extensively I have determined some things; touting "Amish" craftsmanship is pure BS. They aren't built better than anything I've looked at, poorer than most and have floorplans that are designed by someone who never had to use them.

The HC is a nice trailer and could be considered except for weight. This is where weight reality rears its ugly head and dictates what you can and cannot have.

I am currently very active in pursuing a 315rls. Although I will have a much higher payload than your truck I'm sure, it is about as big weight wise as I want to go simply due to weights. We like it as much as the HC line and they in fact feel more plush to us. Look at that galley dump handle and make sure it's not too uncomfortable for you to use.
Thor has relocated all Amish craftsmen to Ohio to work on the Airstream line!
None left in Indiana. Other denominations have to fill in to build Jayco and Keystone and these denominations don't have a good reputation as craftsmen; more in the fairly good staplers category?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote