Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2019, 09:39 AM   #1
Dmaster

Hydraulic slides wont stay in

I have two hydraulic slides that will not stay in when parked in storage. They are fine when towing but sometime between 2 and 3rd day of sitting retracted they pop out about 3 to 5 inches. i have tried retracting to just barely in and holding retract a bit longer after in. I have left with batteries on and batteries off and it doesn't matter. I had dealer service check it out and they could not find anything- said all good. Don't think they let it sit for couple of days but either way I am looking for ideas. Any similar experiences and solutions or just ideas to correct would be appreciated.
Dmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaster View Post
I have two hydraulic slides that will not stay in when parked in storage. They are fine when towing but sometime between 2 and 3rd day of sitting retracted they pop out about 3 to 5 inches. i have tried retracting to just barely in and holding retract a bit longer after in. I have left with batteries on and batteries off and it doesn't matter. I had dealer service check it out and they could not find anything- said all good. Don't think they let it sit for couple of days but either way I am looking for ideas. Any similar experiences and solutions or just ideas to correct would be appreciated.
You're probably not going to like this but thought I'd mention it because it did happen to our 38' Everest.

Our oversized bedroom slide was doing the same thing. I took it to an established RV trailer repair facility with a very good reputation. They found that the anchor end of the hydraulic actuator had bolts backing-out. The difference was, ours would extend about an inch just as soon as the hydraulic pump shut-down.

Some larger anchor bolts were installed and the problem never surfaced.

Welcome aboard.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaster View Post
Don't know what trailer you have, or how old it is but I have had some limited experiences with hydraulics. Hydraulic piston "creep" can be caused by several things, most commonly a piston seal leaking by or a leaking spool valve. With that in mind I wouldn't suspect it's the piston as you state it happens to both slides so having both pistons failing seems unlikely. I'd suggest a hard look at the overall system and find out what's common to both slide units.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:15 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

More than likely a solenoid at the valve body. I tried to find the thread with the link from LCI with instructions on how to test.

I’m still looking.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:11 PM   #5
ChuckS

There is only 1 hydraulic solenoid for ALL Hydraulic slide outs .. the test for determining if you have an internal leaking slide out hydraulic cylinder can be found here.....

I’d first try cycling the slide outs 3 to 5 times in and out.. pausing between cycles to let pump motor cool.. if any air is in the system this will purge it

My fifth wheel has 3 hydraulic slides... I’ve had one “bedroom” creep pit while parked during wintertime.. after purging system 4 years ago slide out has never creeped out again... just finished 7th season of use with this fifth wheel...

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001910.pdf

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:22 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Thanks, I thought it was you that knew.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:36 PM   #7
ChuckS

You do so much for others it’s a pleasure once in a while to maybe help a tad

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:22 PM   #8
travelin texans

Be sure all slides are in & jacks up, if hydraulic, & check to be sure fluid in the reservoir is topped off before purging or you'll be adding more air to the system if it's low.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:42 AM   #9
Dmaster

Thank you- I will definitely look to see if the problem is similar. I appreciate the info
Dmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide