Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #21
Agdodge4x4

Never really tried to make it work. I have no hissing from my stove so whatever is wrong wherever it is is not allowing amount flow to get through the stove either. No wonder the heater won’t light. Ill probably throw on a new regulator and see what happens. Literally nothing else it can be as far as I can tell.
Agdodge4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:21 AM   #22
Bob Landry

I carry a spare regulator and a spare water valve for the toilet. Either will ruin a trip. The water valve is around $20 online and $60 at my dealer.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:58 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agdodge4x4 View Post
Never really tried to make it work. I have no hissing from my stove so whatever is wrong wherever it is is not allowing amount flow to get through the stove either. No wonder the heater won’t light. Ill probably throw on a new regulator and see what happens. Literally nothing else it can be as far as I can tell.
Reading thru the previous posts back to the first I don't see a confirmation if you pulled the tanks and confirmed that they have gas in them and reconnected using the proper procedure to open the tank valves. If you have done this, then open all the burner knobs on the cooktop to purge the air from the gas line up to that point (typically about mid camper unless you have a rear kitchen). If after a min or so if you cannot smell gas, or if you do but when you light the stove burners the flames are very small then the only thing it can be is the regulator, this of course is if you cycled the valve as previously described to choose which tank to draw from.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #24
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
When you turn the bottles on do you just crank them open? Try removing the lines from cylinders for a couple minutes. During this time, turn the switch from one side to the other a few times.

Then put the hoses back on the cylinders with the valves closed. Open one VERY SLOWLY for the first turn, then open as usual. Then repeat on the other side. If that doesn’t fix it then you probably need a new regulator.

I would get a Marshall Excelsior dual stage to replace it. Only thing to pay attention to is the pigtail ends at the regulator. Some are NPT and some are inverted flare, the parts person should be able to get you going either way.
Chuck, does your recommendation extend to 5ers with 2 30# tanks? I see several models of the regulator you mentioned. I am attaching a pic of mine. I want to carry a spare (we are full timers) so may as well get the best.
TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8559.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	23733  
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #25
major bumm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I carry a spare regulator and a spare water valve for the toilet. Either will ruin a trip. The water valve is around $20 online and $60 at my dealer.

Two thumbs up for this recommendation. Both gave up the ghost on me this year.

Agdodge4x4,

If the regulator "kicked the bucket", you are a far luckier person than I. When my 1.5 year old one went, it just started venting LP. Fortunately, the wind blew the stink around the TT and into the open windows AND I was home.
major bumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
Chuck, does your recommendation extend to 5ers with 2 30# tanks? I see several models of the regulator you mentioned. I am attaching a pic of mine. I want to carry a spare (we are full timers) so may as well get the best.

TIA

I have had about ZERO failures with Marshall Excelsior regulators, so yes it includes any and all RVs with a propane system.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #27
Frosty46

First steps in system check

Take it to a tech, you are having problems and you have not the knowledge to be experimenting. Read your manual is smart on all systems especially propane systems. Looks like you have exhausted the tricks so to speak.
Frosty46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #28
bigbluejmc

Gas regulator failed??

I had a similar issue during our second year of traveling and the shop told me that the hoses had collapsed and the regulator was fine. They changed the hoses and all was fine. Not sure how that collapse happens, but I could not get gas to any appliances at all. (no leak or smell)

2011 F250 Lariat 4x4 6.7L
2012 Cougar 327RES
bigbluejmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #29
Callie Spillane

We had a almost new regulator stop working and allow only a small amount of propane out. We replaced it and worked great. Also try one of your propane tanks on your home gas grill to test it.
Callie Spillane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #30
Agdodge4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty46 View Post
Take it to a tech, you are having problems and you have not the knowledge to be experimenting. Read your manual is smart on all systems especially propane systems. Looks like you have exhausted the tricks so to speak.
I’m not really into paying techs for stuff like this unless it’s warranty and free. Repairing stuff that is unfamiliar is not a fear of mine. We have enough internet and YouTube to become more competent than the techs that work on just about anything. Truly, in today’s world, we are limited by costs of tools and possibly skill for technical things. The knowledge is free.

Anyway, for less than the cost of diagnosis, I replaced the regulator and pigtails. I have leak tested it.

The water heater fired up with one click of the electronic ignition. Also, the stove now passes propane where it didn’t before. Based on how it now runs, I suspect the regulator slowly died and I did not realize it. It used to fire up immediately. Then it fired up after a few tries.....then not at all. Lol.

The repair took about an hour and that was because I was leak testing. Could have done this on the road but the risk vs reward wasn’t worth it. I don’t want to play with propane with my fellow campers nearby. But at home I can park it 300’ from anything and test all I want.
Agdodge4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:34 AM   #31
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agdodge4x4 View Post
I’m not really into paying techs for stuff like this unless it’s warranty and free. Repairing stuff that is unfamiliar is not a fear of mine. We have enough internet and YouTube to become more competent than the techs that work on just about anything. Truly, in today’s world, we are limited by costs of tools and possibly skill for technical things. The knowledge is free.

Anyway, for less than the cost of diagnosis, I replaced the regulator and pigtails. I have leak tested it.

The water heater fired up with one click of the electronic ignition. Also, the stove now passes propane where it didn’t before. Based on how it now runs, I suspect the regulator slowly died and I did not realize it. It used to fire up immediately. Then it fired up after a few tries.....then not at all. Lol.

The repair took about an hour and that was because I was leak testing. Could have done this on the road but the risk vs reward wasn’t worth it. I don’t want to play with propane with my fellow campers nearby. But at home I can park it 300’ from anything and test all I want.
I feel exactly the same way!
I don't think the techs are any smarter than you or I, just more experience!
With all the internet information available today, we can now benefit from their experience for free & with color pictures.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

I've watched dealership techs google how to do a repair and go from it, so, we have that same opportunity.

As far as LP regulators, I was reading a post the other day from one of our members saying he carried a spare regulator with him all time. I had never thought of having one in my spare box but one will be here tomorrow. I've had one fail and replacement is simple and straightforward and doesn't take 30 minutes to do...so might as well have one of them too.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, led