Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
jeffqwv

Hitch Mirrors

I'm pretty sure this topic has come up before, but was having a tough time searching for past threads. I currently have a 2500 Ram Short bed, I'm pulling a 2018 Cougar 5'er. My coach has the hitch vision, but with the short bed it is not visible. I'm looking for suggestions for a mirror set up that would allow me to see the hitch while backing up to connect.
jeffqwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:42 PM   #2
66joej

Several years ago before hitch vision. I saw a 5er with one of those large round convex mirrors that you see on OTR trucks mounted to his hitch box. Thought it was a good idea. He said it worked great. Just a thought.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
Canonman

Our Ram is also short bed and the hitch vision is also non visible To make matters worse, we have a trifold bed cover which when folded up further obscures the view of the hitch.
So I had a left over "Hitchen Rod" from our bumper pull days. The magnetic base holds the rod to the bed of the truck just aft of the hitch. When the kingpin knocks the rod over, I'm there. No hassle
/www.amazon.com/Hitchin-Rods-TM-Rod/dp/B00030LM54/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529274335&sr=8-1&keywords=magnetic+hitchin%27+rods
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1400.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	17038  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I can't see the "actual hitch" in my short bed Ford either. The way I worked around it was to buy a roll of 1" silver reflective tape and cut 2" pieces, then cut them in half so I ended up with 1/2" x 2" strips of reflective tape. I put one on the center inside top of the tail gate, one on the center inside bottom of the tail gate, one on the center rear of the bed (before the spray in bedliner starts) and one on the very front center of the pin box.

With those 4 strips of reflective tape, I can visualize them easily in the Cougar hitch mirror. I back up with the top of the tail gate visible in the center of the mirror. The pin box strip aligns with that, and I slowly back into the trailer, keeping the strips visible as I back up. As long as they are aligned with the pin box strip, the hitch head will be within an inch of centerline of the pin.

Easy to visualize, even with the tri-fold tonneau cover in the way.....

Before I put the reflective tape on the tailgate and bed, like everyone else, it was a "shot in the dark" since the mirror was shaded from light and too dark to see the hitch. Try it, might work for you as well. If you need pictures, I'll walk out and take some.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #5
jeffqwv

If you have pics that would be great.
jeffqwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #6
vampress_me

I second Canonman. For hitching up our gooseneck horse trailer, I use a magnetic ball on a stick. Set it right in front of the ball in the truck bed, when the gooseneck tips it I know I’m centered over the ball. Should work the same for a fifth wheel hitch. Luckily, with our long bed, I can see the fiver plate just fine in the bed.

Here’s what I use for the gooseneck hitch. I bought mine in the parts store in our town though, and they sure weren’t $33 like Amazon wants! https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Align...70_&dpSrc=srch

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffqwv View Post
If you have pics that would be great.
I'll take some photos tomorrow when the rain stops and post them for you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch