Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
Jwiles58

Propane tank switching problems

Once the curb side tank goes empty the selector turns red and that’s it. No propane in the fiver. No matter which way I turn the selector. Physically Moved the tank from the road side to the curb side and select that tank, indicator turns green and everything works. Started trouble shooting. Replaced pigtail from roadside tank to high pressure regulator on the road side. Replaced the regulator on the road side. Took the hose loose from the crossover pipe to the switching valve. There is a small fitting between the hose and the switching valve. It has a check valve in it. Took out the check valve and now the system works perfectly as it should. All that to ask the question...what’s the purpose of the check valve? Do I need to replace it or can I just leave it out?
Jwiles58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #2
FlyingAroundRV

Is it possible the check valve was installed backwards?
My guess is the check valve is to stop the full tank re-filling the empty tank. Is there a check valve on the other side as well?
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:54 AM   #3
Frank G

I have had this happen a couple of times, could not feed from a full tank. Acted like both were empty. In each case I removed both bottles and found one to be full and reinstalled it and it worked. Had the empty filled, hooked it up and everything seams fine. How do you fix something that won't stay broke?
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:30 AM   #4
jsmith948

From your post, there is no indication as to the model year of your trailer.
Back when our 2012 Cougar was new, had a similar problem with the auto switch-over. On a hunch, I replaced the "pig tails". Turns out that there had been some pigtails out in the system that had defective safety flow limiters (according to the parts guy). No trouble with the system since.
Also, it is important to open the bottle valves very slowly to prevent the safety devices from closing off the gas flow.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:28 AM   #5
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
I have had this happen a couple of times, could not feed from a full tank. Acted like both were empty. In each case I removed both bottles and found one to be full and reinstalled it and it worked. Had the empty filled, hooked it up and everything seams fine. How do you fix something that won't stay broke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
... Also, it is important to open the bottle valves very slowly to prevent the safety devices from closing off the gas flow.
I have had issues similar to Frank G; perhaps it is the issue that jsmith mentions - the safety device. When I disconnected the tanks to see if they were empty, I rocked them gently a few times, thinking that would free a "stuck" safety device (I suspect it is a lever inside - others who are more knowledgeable will hopefully fill in the missing details) and it seemed to do the trick - I got gas flow to my stove and other appliances.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:13 AM   #6
travelin texans

They have a float device in the bottle & as mentioned open bottles slowly after filling otherwise the device thinks there's a sudden release closing itself, this device also prevents any leakage if you disconnect a bottle with the valve open. The other check valve at the changeover is to prevent the connected/open bottle from leaking when disconnecting the other to refill. There's also a orfice on the tank valve that requires the pigtail to push open with the small nipple on the end that unscrews to disconnect. One full bottle will not equalize to an empty bottle, So that being said don't use one of those devices that you can supposedly refill the 1lb ,bottles with your 20lb bottle, spend the few bucks on a new 1lb.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #7
Jwiles58

Thanks for all the replies. I knew most of that stufff. Didn’t know the bottles would not “equalize”. I think the check valve exists to keep leakage from happening when you remove the empty tank to refill. That said. I ordered two new check valves and another pigtail for the side I haven’t replaced. That should be everything new except the switch over valve. I saw the new switchover valves come with the check valves so they must be necessary. Let you know how it works when the parts arrive
Jwiles58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank