Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #21
Pmedic4

Driver License Classifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalhd View Post
This endorsement thing is another crock of BS Ca thought of. Nothing but a revenue maker for Ca. and it makes no since that anyone coming from another State or Country does not have to comply.
With that said Chuckster is correct on weights and requirements so you are taking your chances without it.
I do want to make something clear though and I am telling you this as a LEO.
CHP will be the only Agency capable of writing this ticket and they are supposed to weigh prior to citing.
An Officer must have Probable Cause to pull you over. They cannot pull you over just to verify your License Status or Classification.
But please don't take this information and argue with a Cop alongside the road.
Ca. Implemented this Law and then made it difficult for people to comply
The state driver license classifications comes from a federal standard, which some states have adopted, so it's not just California. A few states have other rules, and some even have additional classes - such as Nevada which has 'J' classification for any towable with a GVWR of greater than 10,000 pounds, which is more strict than California. LEO don't have to weigh the RV, and the classification is based on the GVWR of the RV, and by current law it is posted on the side of the RV.

I will agree many people don't have the correct classification for their RV, whether motorhome or towable. The driving test is really something you should be able to accomplish, but it is a pain to have to go complete the testing. I was fortunate to get my license through the fire department, which are exempt from CDL, but still require the proper class of license.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:12 AM   #22
lonewolftx

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalhd View Post
This endorsement thing is another crock of BS Ca thought of. Nothing but a revenue maker for Ca. and it makes no since that anyone coming from another State or Country does not have to comply.
With that said Chuckster is correct on weights and requirements so you are taking your chances without it.
I do want to make something clear though and I am telling you this as a LEO.
CHP will be the only Agency capable of writing this ticket and they are supposed to weigh prior to citing.
An Officer must have Probable Cause to pull you over. They cannot pull you over just to verify your License Status or Classification.
But please don't take this information and argue with a Cop alongside the road.
Ca. Implemented this Law and then made it difficult for people to comply
Well it is the same in Texas but it is when you exceed >26,001 lbs.

We're not here for a LONG TIME, We're here for a GOOD TIME! HOOH!
2016 Fuzion Chrome 420 18.5k, '16 F350 DRW PSD CCLB, LKR Fx4, WH Platinum Tri, 4.1 LSD, MR, PullRite OE 25K 5th, High CT, EB Heater, Tailgate Step, Recon RL's, Air Lift System, TruXcedo Lopro, DZ TG Assist, KC Lights, Pop&Lock TG, Cable Lock
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #23
rcmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolftx View Post
Well it is the same in Texas but it is when you exceed >26,001 lbs.
Lonewolftx- Did you get the class A ? I just learned of this from a guy on youtube that has a truck and rv channel and mentioned the weight limit. I'm needing to get the class a. My trailer is roughly 15,600 and a one ton dually chances are take it over the 26k limit. Thanks for any info or in site.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:20 AM   #24
Racebug

You may want to check your trucks weight. My dually service truck doesn't even weigh 10,000 lbs.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:18 AM   #25
chuckster57
Site Team

Class A license Needed in CA??

I think he's talking GVWR's.
In Ca if your fiver has a GVWR over 15,000 then you need a non commercial, commercial drivers license. If his truck is over 10,000 GVWR then his combined weight could be over the 26K limit.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote