Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
{tpc}

Freezer interior coating issue

So at some point last year, the interior of my freezer, the white "coating" if you will, started to fracture. In fact some seems to have chipped off or came off with something else that was in the freezer like a bag of ice or frozen veggies.

Anyways, it seemed to work fine regardless of looking not as great in the inside. Any recommendation on what to do to repair it or keep it from getting any worse? I doubt it will be covered under warranty since it is a couple years old now. I think its the atwood helium model.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

As long as the freezer is functioning properly, I would leave it alone. If you know your date of purchase the two years may not be up yet.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
{tpc}

Do they come with a 2 year warranty? We picked it up late april. Problem is, if this weather doesn't pick up, might no be able to deal with again until that time.

Would this be a warranty that I would contact Atwood about? Or the dealer first, and they do it?
Old 02-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Contact Atwood. Dometic bought out Atwood so I wouldn't put it off. IIRC Atwood has a two year warranty, and I wouldn't count on the dealer to make contact. The dealer or any other authorized service center could do any authorized repairs.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Atwood was purchased by Dometic this past year. Atwood refrigerators do have a 2 year warranty, there is no "registration" required, but they will require you to have your "original purchase agreement", so take your bill of sale with you that indicates the date of original purchase for the trailer.

There are 14 Atwood service centers within 50 miles of Berkley, MI. Some are RV dealer/service centers, some are private RV service technicians and some are heating/cooling/refrigeration businesses. You are not required to take it back to the purchasing dealer unless you choose. You can locate the service centers here: http://www.askforatwood.com/dealerlocator.asp

I would suggest you contact Atwood and/or one of the service centers pretty soon. As spring arrives, they'll tend to get busy and unless you get the problem identified before the warranty expires, you'll probably find it more difficult to get it repaired.

Good luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:13 AM   #6
{tpc}

So I contacted Atwood through their website. First response was the typical "no dice" response. I was however able to make my case with the next person who I assume was at a higher level, and after sending pics and all the required information, they agreed to replace the fridge with labor included as well.

I made my appointment to drop off with the dealer after my next camping trip this weekend, this dealer also happens to be a atwood mobile service center, so I guess thats good. They said to remove/replace the fridge would not take long, and they would not remove the fridge until the new one was there. This way, if for some reason it took too long to do the job and the next trip came up, I could come and pick it up from their storage lot and use it.

All of this begs the question, should I be concerned about them "pre" removing the fridge, and place a sign or something on the fridge stating as such. Like, "do not remove until replacement unit is ready", or something like that?

Should I remove all the stuff from the pass through storage, etc or get new key locks for the storage doors?

There isn't anything in there that isn't replaceable but I'd rather not have to replace it. I suppose I could just ask the service advisor how secure the unit will be in their lot.

Interestingly enough, its prime day and I could probably get a set of locks pretty cheap, but I don't even know the size, depth etc. Am I overthinking this? LOL
Old 07-11-2017, 04:54 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

If your worried about your belongings, I would take them out before dropping it off. New keys aren't going to stop anybody with pass keys and you'll have to leave a set if you deadbolt the door.

In all my years, I have yet to see a customer unit get broke into, have replaced several gens on brand new class C units after scum have decided they wanted them.

As far as the fridge goes, swapping them out doesn't pay very much so I'd be willing to bet that nothing will happen until the new refer shows up. Not very efficient to move your unit into a Bay, take the refer out, move it out for other work and move it back in to install the new one. Besides the labor time is recorded and a single "event" is much better than multiple entries.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
{tpc}

So all went fairly well. Dropped off monday, had the new fridge in and tested by saturday. Picked it up saturday afternoon. Its not the exact same unit as we had, its a dometic fridge, but it looks as nice if not better than the atwood he. Service write was surprised that I was able to convince atwood (now dometic) to cover a new fridge for me, but it went much smoother than I expected.

The only hiccup in the whole process was something about fitting it through the door. I'm not sure if that is a standard issue to deal with, but they had to remove the slide window and pass it in through there. I had to cover that cost which was an hour of labor. Still a good deal though I guess.

As for worrying about the items inside, I didn't find anything missing, so the security must be pretty good.

Tags
freezer