Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2017, 04:51 AM   #1
Dave W

Woes and comment during brake and suspension upgrades

I've 'hinted' in other threads that I'm doing a disc brake install as well as replacing the springs. The weather finally broke (kinda) and now have the 5er jacked up. The disassembly went easy and I now have everything off with the old springs now gone and the new ones ready to be installed. There have been a few 'revelations' found during the disassembly:

- the existing wet bolt bronze bushings are shot after about 16,000 miles and lots of grease. Everything was sloppy so I took a good look at the parts. Not happy about that. The bolts have now been cross drilled for 2 grease outlets (#43 drill) and new bushings have been installed in the new 6K springs.

- the bottom side of the spindles, again, lots of a Dexter recommended grease. The outer bearings (USA Timkens) showed the effects of some signs of chattering and embedded grease. This area was stropped cleaned up easily with some 400 grit wet and dry paper and oil. Dimensionally, no wear as mic'd.

- One spindle indicated that the Dexter 'machinist' had a dull tool and it broke at the end of the cut with a gouge though luckily in a non load bearing area. That gouge was blended in to remove any stress risers.

- the removed 5.2K springs had dearched an inch per Dexter's website plus were deformed (flat) in the middle at the axle pad and 2 had loose center bolts.

- The MORryde CRE3000 on the roadside was assembled incorrectly from MORryde and may have contributed to the wet bolt wear. There is a hex spacer that fits into similarly shaped hole on each side. There is a hard nylon wear piece on that spacer. That hex spacer was not properly inserted in one side alowing the equalizer to flop a total of about 1/4 imch laterally

- after about 18,000 miles, the brakes have only a third wear while the magnets still look good. I'll Craigslist the drum and backing plate assemblies -- or send them to the steel dumpster at the transfer station.

I'm also going to install MORryde X factor cross members on at least the front and middle spring hangers. Keystone didn't bother since the gas line interferes but MORryde supplies one, according to their website, with their CRE3000. The rear hangers are directly in line with the rear gray tank drain so that one may be a Dave W's design

Since the axles are in my garage on saw horses, they have gotten sanded and painted and the new disc assemblies bolted on with the plumbing to installed today.

This so far has been a good project - and a lot more fun (dirty!!!) then the strongly hinted at wifely 'honey-dos'. It is not a complaint though Lippert could have done a better job assembling the parts as well as Keystone spec'ing the chassis. We do use this 5er a lot so some wear and tear can be expected though this was a bit too much for 18K total miles

An opinion now - this Montana HC 343RL 5er of ours is 38 feet measured long and weighs in at about 12,000 as weighed pounds regardless of what the Keystone website says. Then add 60 gallons of water @8+ pounds/gallon in the potable tank and the waste tanks,some too, along with whatever else you carry and it gets really heavy. 5200 pound axles are dead wrong even with 15-20% of the weight on the truck. 6000 pound axles and what these will be after my mods is still, again, my opinion, marginal. IMO, something this big should have 7000 pound suspension just for reliability's sake.

A few photos to eventually follow (probably? )
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:35 AM   #2
Dave W

OK, got one of the X-Factor cross members installed (center at the MORryde suspension) but there are just too many pieces of plumbing to do the other two without lots of mods to something, either the cross member or those water and gas lines ----- so, I'll be posting two in the classifieds. Even the one that I finally installed has a 1" spacer against the hanger to clear the gas line. Other then the fact that the rear gray water tank drain line needed to be lowered, and actually straighten out, went pretty smoothly.

I'm using 6 leaf, 6000 springs vs the original 4 leaf, 5200 pound pieces and they too went in place easily even though they are 26" length instead of the original 25-1/4. This is a deviation from Dexter information as according to their installation sheet, this 5er should have 26" springs. They actually physically measured 26" in place but not on my garage floor. Oh well a call to them said no a problem as it is actually less then 3/8" per end, measured. Also the new springs are 3/4-7/8 inches thicker plus 800 pounds capacity heavier/pair so wont be using the 1" spacer I made up for the originals

The axles are waiting to be reinstalled pending the weather. I'm using 9/16" U-bolts but will use the original 1/2" U-bolt plates as they are at least one steel gauge heavier and made for 1-3/4" springs, not a combo 1-3/4" - 2". The bolt holes needed to be opened a slight amount. The brake plumbing and how I did mine will be another post.

I hope this doesn't sound like a 'recital' and hope my work will help others if they plan on doing some brake and suspension mods.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #3
Tbos

Your story makes me want to steer clear of trying to do any updates like this on my own.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:46 AM   #4
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Your story makes me want to steer clear of trying to do any updates like this on my own.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
With the exception of the X Factor installation plumbing lines frustration, nothing has been a really big deal. It's being done on a mass produced vehicle where the manufacturer has made no provision for people to improve the original marginal assembly. I just tend to go a bit overboard
Old 04-26-2017, 05:51 AM   #5
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
With the exception of the X Factor installation plumbing lines frustration, nothing has been a really big deal. It's being done on a mass produced vehicle where the manufacturer has made no provision for people to improve the original marginal assembly. I just tend to go a bit overboard
You have just partially explained the American spirit of hot rodding, which has led to better vehicles for everyone.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:11 AM   #6
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
You have just partially explained the American spirit of hot rodding, which has led to better vehicles for everyone.
You mean something like my '31 getting the engine freshened:

Old 04-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #7
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
You mean something like my '31 getting the engine freshened:

Yeah. Like that , even though its a Ford engine.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:44 PM   #8
trucker LOU

It's a Ford, 4rd n a 4rd
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:50 AM   #9
gearhead

Looks well done.
I haven't done any research but I think I read somewhere that 5200 lb axles are just de-rated 6000 lb axles. But yeah they ought to be 7000.
Trucker Lou....the haulers are pulling in to Richmond Int. Raceway. Beautiful morning here. Practice tomorrow.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:33 AM   #10
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Looks well done.
I haven't done any research but I think I read somewhere that 5200 lb axles are just de-rated 6000 lb axles. But yeah they ought to be 7000.
Trucker Lou....the haulers are pulling in to Richmond Int. Raceway. Beautiful morning here. Practice tomorrow.
The main difference is the outer hub bearing cup and cone* and a set of puny 4 leaf springs on the 5200 axles - then of course the sticker on the RV's side and the fact that Dexter has 5200 pounds stamped on the axle tube. Just upgrading the bearings is, IMO well worth the few bucks cost and the effort, especially if you decide to change the no-name Chinese clunks for a known international manufacturer.

* L67048 = 5200
15123 = 6000 (~.113" larger OD/.090 wider, cone ID is the same)
Old 04-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #11
gearhead

The cup OD is larger?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:43 AM   #12
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
The cup OD is larger?
No, the OD of the cup is the same as the 5200 bearing OD while the ID is larger to fit the larger cone OD.

Tags
upgrade